Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2018, 11:47 PM #21
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
So who used to use a steady pH and now uses a swing? What were your experiences? (Thanks, Dropped Cat, for bringing it up)

Frankly, I started using a natural pH swing in hydro having learned from Lucas. I've watched other people struggle with hydro for years, mainly due to pH. So, I'm interested in hearing more about the other side, those who struggled and then switched like Dropped Cat

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:26 AM #22
Hydro8

Hydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
So who used to use a steady pH and now uses a swing? What were your experiences?

When I first started doing hydro I had 5.8 in my head and would try to adjust the PH every day. Then I started reading more about it and learned that a PH swing is a good thing and 5.5-6.5 is a good place.

I change my water/nutes every week and keep PPMs about 700, it is very stable. My water is about 8 out of the tap I mix nutes and it is about 7 then I drop it down to 6.3PH the PH will usually drop a bit in 24hrs, I add fresh 6.3PH and it stays about 6.2-5.9 + or - a tad.

It is easy and mindless now that I stopped chasing PH. Also buying a better quality PH pen, for a while I was using $8. Amazon pens that would go out of wack so I would be chasing PH with a broken pen.
Hydro8 is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2018, 03:05 PM #23
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
That's a rather small swing. What type of hydro are you running, roots-in or roots-out?

Old 10-12-2018, 05:03 PM #24
Hydro8

Hydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really nice
Quote:
That's a rather small swing. What type of hydro are you running, roots-in or roots-out?
It is RDWC. Roots in 5gal buckets.

My system tends to drop PH then I pour the higher PH water/nutes in for the daily water which brings it back up. It just works out well that way with my higher PH water.

If I keep the water/nutes longer then 7days I get bigger swings down where the fresh water will not keep up. I usually take the bigger drop as the plants looking for food.

Do you get bigger swings when nutes start to get depleted ?
Hydro8 is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2018, 05:21 PM #25
Douglas.Curtis

Swing speed depends on plant size, numbers, light wattage and nutrient solution volume. The easiest way to increase swing time is to use a larger volume of solution, with a smaller volume of solution increasing the speed. Without hitting the lower 5.3-4 range of the pH swing, your plants are not getting the full absorption of all elements properly. When you work this into your method, you'll see a lowered need for nutrient strength and a higher end quality.

I use r/o, like I described. The pH swing is completely different, it rises as the plants use the nutrients. I don't do res changes at all, not until 5 days before harvest and that's only to switch out the nutrient solution for pure r/o, non-pH'd. The pH is rock solid and predictable in how long it takes to rise. Unless you're using r/o, I really have no idea how to advise you on your situation. It's one of the key reasons I also strongly recommend r/o, the pH works the same way for everyone.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:50 PM #26
DiverDave

DiverDave will become famous soon enoughDiverDave will become famous soon enoughDiverDave will become famous soon enough
Thank you for the info , I have sub to this topic and taken notes.
My next grow is planned for DWR hydro , I have not been happy with
in door soil.
And have contemplated hydro for awhile.
I have been reading about people using r/o for their water and it makes sense
for just a consistency in runs.

Again thank you for the ride .. I hope to keep learning from this site.
DiverDave is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2018, 06:00 PM #27
Hydro8

Quote:
I use r/o, like I described. The pH swing is completely different, it rises as the plants use the nutrients. I don't do res changes at all, not until 5 days before harvest and that's only to switch out the nutrient solution for pure r/o, non-pH'd. The pH is rock solid and predictable in how long it takes to rise. Unless you're using r/o, I really have no idea how to advise you on your situation. It's one of the key reasons I also strongly recommend r/o, the pH works the same way for everyone.

I use the KISS(Keep it Super Simple) for all my stuff and life r/o water doesn't fit into that. I guess my PH swings are small compared to many. I really like keeping fresh nutes in my system, it keeps the ppms and PH stable and easy. I also have unlimited supply of nutes so it is basically free for me to keep it fresh.

Sometime if my environment changes I will play with bigger swings, my grows really are designed from what is at hand and what is simple. RDWC, free nutes and a couple of drops of PH-down is so simple it feels like cheating.
Hydro8 is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2018, 09:31 PM #28
Douglas.Curtis

Yes, the small pH swing is limiting your plants. I fully understand working with what you have though. Looking forward to seeing your progress the next few years.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 PM #29
Hydro8

Quote:
Yes, the small pH swing is limiting your plants. I fully understand working with what you have though. Looking forward to seeing your progress the next few years.

That is debatable. I haven't seen any evidence that small swing is limiting plants vs big swing.

I would like to see evidence if you have some.
Hydro8 is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2018, 03:56 AM #30
Douglas.Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro8 View Post
That is debatable. I haven't seen any evidence that small swing is limiting plants vs big swing.

I would like to see evidence if you have some.

This is 700ppm, 19 days into flower. With a partial swing you would see deficiencies. With a smaller swing you would need to feed at a higher strength to keep the deficiencies from showing. Cannabis packs on the excess and degrades quality all through flower this way.

I suggest you try it for yourself at least once.