What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10-12 years old seeds...

rootcap

ok, still nada....
the one that got opened stay in the same way and it looks dead now... i'm still keeping hem to see if anything.
the one that crack, decided to stay inside.
the other 3, still sleeping....

next test, in 30 days...
ill keep you post.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Caution is in order with GA3 solutions ppm strength and duration.

Soaked thirty Geisha F2,s of known 100% germination as a test , in 500 ppm for 24 hours , all are now dead.

Getting the dose right with small numbers of seed is problematic , and may turn out to be a dead end.

O

OneTokeOver

Thanks for the update, rootcap.

I'm watching this closely, have several packs of older seeds that aren't getting any younger. lol.

rootcap

foomer - gibberelic acid is my last test that i'm thinking at... i prefer to check the dormancy thing first. i belive if the GA3 can do that so are the nature...

onetokeover - dont worrie, i didnt started this post for nothing... i'm exactly like you, looking to get some answers. and if i can share my expirience and save other's time why not ? ;)

rootcap

water and a teensy bit of rooting hormone... might help... couldn't hurt at any rate.

one of the 1st things i tryied.
i belive MAYBE it can help for 1 year old, and again just maybe, but for dormancy break it's not.

btw. i did found somthing about Potassium Nitrate and Ethylene to break dormancy. but still i want to try the "nature" way...
the P.Nitrate and the Ethylene is good for "Fast dormancy break" but it can have some "Mutent effect". - still reading about it...

in 2 weeks i'm gonna try another 10-20 seeds, so i'll keep you post.

homebrew420

I too have this same issue. I planted some in pots and will just leave them. Also I am going to put a few in the veggy garden and wait. Could be what they are needing to pop. varying in temp humidity, may help. I really want these things to sprout.
I may just have to make my work buy some.
Thanks for the update

Peace

rootcap

I too have this same issue. I planted some in pots and will just leave them. Also I am going to put a few in the veggy garden and wait. Could be what they are needing to pop. varying in temp humidity, may help. I really want these things to sprout.
I may just have to make my work buy some.
Thanks for the update

Peace

I think it's smart thing for you to do to leave the seeds in the soil for some time. in the right conditions you can break the dormancy as well...
but anyway, it's always good to have some good genetics near by and it's never bad to buy some new...

for me, i still have a week and a bit before i'll keep with my test, i'll keep you post.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Twenty more treated with 300 ppm are mostly dead , 150 - 200 ppm looks promiseing and will be tested on some ancients.

Have never seen dormancy with my own seed , 100% fresh off the plant and a slow decline after four years , same fridged or waxed.

The KNO3 trick is simple , mentioned on general gardening forums for old toms.

Step 1
Separate your dormant seeds from those which are sprouting. Typically these are the ones that have not sprouted in the seed starters for two weeks or so after the others have begun to.

Step 2
Prepare your potassium nitrate solution. Though you can use it straight, scientific studies show that there is little, if any, change in effectiveness if a solution of ¼ to ½ tsp. per quart of water is used.

Step 3
Apply the potassium nitrate solution to an absorbent pad, or pour it into a jar. The pad is useful for a lighter treatment and when immediate planting after treatment is not possible. The jar provides a stronger jolt and requires immediate planting after treatment.

Step 4
Stir the seeds daily if using the jar method. A day or two of soaking should suffice, after which the seeds should be immediately replanted without drying or rinsing. If you're using the absorbent pad, seeds can be allowed to remain until germination just begins; then they should be replanted.

Step 5
Wait patiently for the seedlings to emerge. In some cases, this may take up to one month after treatment and it will vary by species. Proceed with normal care after germination.

rootcap

foomer, thanks for the info, but i didnt get you cleared. sorry...
you had success with this method when you used 150-200ppm of potassium nitrate ?

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 300 ppm of GA3 was still too strong , trying lower solutions now.

Have not tried the potasium nitrate yet on canna , but has helped with some old flower seed , and the strength of solution is not critical so probably less killing if it works.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A nominal 100 ppm soak untill they just show white slits , then rinse off , does not kill viable seed , 200 does.

Used 200 seeds experimenting , would suggest a low start of a target 100 ppm , now to start trying to raise the dead.

Trying to get an exact figure is not possible , the product varies between 70% - 90% purity and has a variable moisture content as supplied , even with highly accurate scales and solution measurement you could be way out , start low.

If i buy some again it will be lab grade of certificated purity , with more certainty of solution strength and repeatability.

Even a saturated solution of KNO3 will not harm viable seed if washed off before root emerges , much more forgiveing than gib and could do no harm , dont know yet if it does any good but have 3000 10% viable F2,s of Sams skunky haze to practice on in batches of 100 , less would not produce data of any validity.

Last edited:

rootcap

thanks for the info foomar.

but i got a little question for the future... what ppm scale did you used ?
500 or 700 scale ?

Hoppin on the train

Hoppin on the train

We will be applying some GA3 in hopes of teasing out some 1994 Positronics Haze. Very excited to find others interested in this type of effort. Foomar you are doing excellent work and I can not thank you enough. We will begin with testing on a large batch of nl5xhaze and I promise you have saved us many seeds!

First post.. woo hoo!

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All i can say with any certainty is to start lower than suggested by the suppliers , 200 ppm is not going to revive borderline seeds if it kills known viable ones.

Used a 1200 mg/litre stock solution of 1000 ppm , assumes stated 80% purity is accurate , stored in the fridge and diluted down with distilled water as required for lower values.

rootcap

ok, a little update...

after 2 months in the fridge... 10 seeds went out for a test... 5 went for 48h of freezing and 5 straight to the germ test...

all of them including the frozen ones not showing any sign of life as for today... but i still giving them some time...

anyway, i have to say that after 2 months in the fridge the seeds got REALLY big and i did noticed some black marks on 2 of them, so i belive that i'm on the right way.
so, next test in 30 days... i'll keep you post if anything.

homebrew420

Root cap, don't remember if you had simply planted some and let them sit for a few weeks. I am doing that now with both Mikado and Acapulco gold that seem to not want to pop. Mikados are only afew years old and the Aca Gold I think closer to 12-15yrs. Both are going to be given a go here today. I have seen this happen as mentioned before by others. Sometimes just letting them hang can break that dormancy. good luck

Peace

rootcap

Root cap, don't remember if you had simply planted some and let them sit for a few weeks. I am doing that now with both Mikado and Acapulco gold that seem to not want to pop. Mikados are only afew years old and the Aca Gold I think closer to 12-15yrs. Both are going to be given a go here today. I have seen this happen as mentioned before by others. Sometimes just letting them hang can break that dormancy. good luck

Peace

acctualy i did tryied to throw the seeds and let them sit for a while... it was something like 6-7 weeks ago (this is the only "test" i didnt documented) but as for now i had no success with them. they still in the soil getting water as needed to keep the soil from drying...

anyway man, have a good luck with your seeds. i hope you'll see results, not like me...

but after all i have to say i do belive that the test i'm doing with the fridge is going to work. i got 2 more weeks for the next try... in the last try i did the seeds didnt germ. but the inside of the seeds looked very very good comparing to the ones before. the seeds became much bigger and they didnt became "Jelly" like... so lets hope for good results.

take care for now.