What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1996 Sensi Northern Lights

G

My buddy sqwirl gave me a nice sample of his Northern Lights to try out. It is a cut he was gifted, but originates from mid-90's Sensi Seedbank stock.

Appearance: dense nuggets of light and dark green laced together with light orange hairs. the thick coating of trichromes makes the plant's natural colors look rather pale and somewhat blurry. when broken, the nugs are loaded with trichromes. this one has excellent bag appeal for sure.

Aroma: when sniffing the jar, there is the soft, fruity smell of good, classic pot. this is the smell ive always associated with northern lights, although northern lights i have come across in the last two or so years has been getting further and further from this smell. the smell is absolutely delicious while not having the overwhelming funk that so many great strains possess.

Taste: sweet and spicy on the inhale, nothing too stand-outish about the taste. definately pleasant but not any over-the-top tastes going on. its soft and light on the taste buds on the exhale. it leaves your mouth feeling nice and clean, reminds me of the subtle smell a dryer sheet leaves on your clothes if that makes any sense. the taste makes me wish i had an older pack of sensi's nl for breeding, it seems like it would be easily dominated when bred to a more pungent tasting, lower-yielding strain.

High: the high is good and strong. sitting around taking too many bonghits is a good way to make sure you get to bed at a reasonable hour. its got the clean indica high that could be suitable in a day-time application but i find more well-suited for relaxing in the evening.

this northern lights is by far the best ive had in 4-5 years. it was absolutely grown to perfection, the ash is nice and white after each bowl and it leaves me feeling very fine and i consider myself to have a rather high tolerance.

Last edited:
G

thanks guys. :D as to the growing specifics, im going to have to get sqwirl to drop in and comment there. i know he does indoor soil, not sure if its organic or not...

this nl does bring back a sense of nostalgia when smoking it, its very nice. like catching up with an old friend that you just then realize how much you've missed.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Hey H&L
Great report, awesome picts !
Really impressive ! You just make me think that i've never grown NL, i wish i could have this kind of buds ! Any idea if the new sensi stock is still great ?
Thanks again ;)

G

guest5703

Not sure if it was legit or not....But I remember some of the tastiest bud I've ever smoked was NL. Grown locally to myself, and outdoor soil, I thought it was really really well done. THE SMELL, was the key though, for me I always though it smelled like an intense trainwreck smell......Never had this smell other than TW and always TW has the same smell... I am wondering is there any association with TW and NL? Or has anyone experienced NL that smell dankly like TW but maybe stronger...? Maybe I'm totally off and it was just a mislabeled bud ;) But I remember that the NL I got was sooo bomb smellin like TW. Great herb, Great report H&L. PEACE

o.g.kushman

yeah man. sqwirl hooked me up with a sample of this herb too and i must concur...she is VERY NICE. it is a picture perfect NL. i remember having the old school northern lights waay back in the day and again 6 years ago in seattle where she originated. this is the closest ive seen to the original non tainted adam version. i really enjoyed this smoke and i appreciate it. i owe you one sqwirl.thanks

Gumbala

The NL i grew out back in 99 or so was really nice!

i could see it as a building block for other strains, as mine had a great structure, the smell and taste were spicy , a little licorice taste to it.

Had a nice lime green look to it, def a nice sleepy time smoke! :rasta:

B

British_Bulldog

I also grew out Sensi NL in 99/00, from seed sent direct from Sensi in Rotterdam.

They turned out great - mini Christmas trees and the bud was a very nice smoke - strong and long lasting.

I've heard the newer NL from Sensi is no-where near as good.

>> Has anyone done a proper comparison between the two?

Peace

sqwirl

Alright H&L, thanks for the smoke report and feedback:headbange.

Kushman Glad it worked out good for you!

As how I grew it, well it was grown in 3 gallons of soil (1/4 Ocean Forest, 1/2 Happy Frog and 1/4 Perlite Coco mixture). I use the whole fox farm line (Grow Big, Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom, Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching) and add in Cal/Mag during flowering stretch. Nutes every 3rd watering, and BudSwell inbetween. Oh yeah and EA/EN about ever 3rd week.

British_Bulldog said:
mini Christmas trees and the bud was a very nice smoke - strong and long lasting.
>> Has anyone done a proper comparison between the two?

Peace

lol I was thinking about taking pictures of my NL I'm about to harvest, I think it would make a great Christmas tree.

I haven't seen a proper comparison on here, but I have grown 10 of sensi's NL stock I bought in 2003. The results weren't quite as good as this cut, that's for sure. Not bad but I never kept them. Then I was passed this cut and it has become a resident.

:wave: :joint:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the first time I got nl my friends and I nick named it space weed for some stoned reason. such a classic strain that I will never tire of.

A

arcticsun

hey guys, thanks for the nice report. ill vouch for that report :D

some pictures of our mid 90's sensi NL stock

dry budshots:

hope you enjoyed your NL as much as i do mine guys :wave:

G

grownowforever

keep the oldschool genetic ..its very rar .i love oldschool strains with a mellow high

I used to be able to get a quarter for $80, but only on Fridays and the middle man turned to crack. It was nice, but not really dense. I think I could fit a quarter in those tiny mason lock lid jars, I had a green one. I don't think I would grow it myself, unless it was a damn nice cut.

C

curious101

when i visited some people in Pittsburgh i was enjoying some NL that looked very similar...not sure where it was from (it may not have been from seed) but its been the weed i use to compare all others...the NL i had when i visited Pitt was so strong, it sent your mind and body into a complete state of confusion...like I said personally a good NL cut can stand side by side with some of the most sought after strains...always a champion (if you have a good cutting) that most seed NL versions don't compare too

chizzleonetime

keep the oldschool genetic ..its very rar .i love oldschool strains with a mellow high "
i find it the opposite of mellow ive got a mother of nl thats been around at least 10 years and it is pure fire!!! even get trichs all over the fan leaves

slowhand15

keep the oldschool genetic ..its very rar .i love oldschool strains with a mellow high "
i find it the opposite of mellow ive got a mother of nl thats been around at least 10 years and it is pure fire!!! even get trichs all over the fan leaves.

My NL mother is from the early 90's too. I have to give credit to my next door neighbor at the time. He finnaly picked the Clone and it been around a long time.

I think the high depends on when you pick it.

A week or so ago, I picked some 4 week old buds off one plant. I usually pick some at 6 weeks(my wife likes it), 7 weeks and let it go to Couchlock 10 weeks.

We smoked some the 4 week stuff last night and it was like very up!

Anyways, I like to sample at different times. The NL highs are all different.

A very special strain indeed.

Last edited: