What's new

What processes do the big commercial guys use to make concentrates?

Hi folks, I was just wondering if someone could comment on how the big producers out in CO and such are making things like shatter? Everything I've ran across on youtube are fairly small batches.. I'm wondering how people are doing it that have like 10 lbs of trim/popcorn.. I can see how you could make bubble hash pretty easily, but I imagine they must be doing other techniques as well like large QWISO/BHO type things, yea?

Thank you.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The big boys that I've visited or consulted with, use a variety of methods, including ethanol, butane/propane, and CO2.

The fastest and lowest cost per gram method is still butane/propane and as RB notes, a 12" Mk V rips through 10lbs before lunch break, and even a 10 X12 based Mk IV can easily extract that much in a day.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
People use the same thing as the small guy buddy.. just scaled up.

20140108_052044_honeyoil7_300.jpg

lr3

The big boys that I've visited or consulted with, use a variety of methods, including ethanol, butane/propane, and CO2.

The fastest and lowest cost per gram method is still butane/propane and as RB notes, a 12" Mk V rips through 10lbs before lunch break, and even a 10 X12 based Mk IV can easily extract that much in a day.

interesting, i had wondered about using propane as it is more available in bulk than butane which just comes in 300/320g cans.

Elite Nugz

Lots of glass tubes and a few vacuum ovens...

5 of my glass tubes hold about a pound of trim. One vac oven with a few racks can do an easy 6 oz of shatter at a time.

Same as the small settup... just more equipment. And having a multiple glass tube holder makes life much easier as well.

I think as distillation methods improve, you'll see people processing hundreds of pounds of material at a time in big commercial distillation systems that are already used in other industries and not being worried about what the end product looks like as they will clean it up such as Clear does. It becomes quantity over quality.

Elite Nugz

Here's mine... I still have to hold my cans. I insulated the tubes to make them stay colder longer. Plus there easier to hold.

Blaster.jpg

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
I did 14# today, or at least started. Instead of dealing with so much raw material, I chose to dry ice kief it all, then I will qwet it all. The 14 yielded 800grams of blond kief. It will be interesting to see what the final qwet weight is

UNREGISTRD

I did 14# today, or at least started. Instead of dealing with so much raw material, I chose to dry ice kief it all, then I will qwet it all. The 14 yielded 800grams of blond kief. It will be interesting to see what the final qwet weight is

now blast all that Kief! :dance013:

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
What's "blast" refer to? Bho?

Got me thinking, can I sandwich a column with kief in between and a little flower on the top and bottom?

C

CaliGabe

I think as distillation methods improve, you'll see people processing hundreds of pounds of material at a time in big commercial distillation systems that are already used in other industries and not being worried about what the end product looks like as they will clean it up such as Clear does. It becomes quantity over quality.
I keep going back to what Yes4Prop215 posted awhile back regarding results from a poll done in CO soon after recreational canna became available. 80% of the respondents stated they were more interested in price and not quality. Considering the size of the canna market that 20% interested in quality is HUGE. Still though in the long run what would most likely happen is that high quality concentrates would command less of a premium just as indoor herb has lost a lot of its premium over outdoor herb.

What kind of developments in distillation can be made to what already exists that would make that much of a difference in large scale canna extraction? I mean they've been doing extraction and concentration of plant materials for a looong time such as hops.

Terra Tech has contracted with Eden Labs for a custom 20 liter system that's going to get set up in Oakland. It's a 5,000 psi system and they plan to do more than canna. Larger, above board ops, are already happening.

lr3

seems like industrialization of BHO/honey extraction will likely lead to use of high yielding, medium to high cannabinoid strains as the total cannabinoid yield per crop would determine how much quality BHO is produced. That would be dependent on both bud yield and total cannabinoid content of a crop.

just my $0.02