What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Backyard compost makers unite!!

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Feed the rabbit poo to the chickens. Compost the chicken manure separately and add it sparingly. use it mainly as fertilizer.
Yeah the rabbits are going to feed the chickens and the tilapia. I am also working on some worm bins for ewc and for further processing compost for my indoor and the rest will go for the outdoor crops.

slyman

started a compost pile today but i have some questions.

i had a bunch of really nice soil under my deck and some decomposing wood. thing is i'm not sure if some of the wood was treated. it's all at least 10 years old so i'm wondering if the things like arsenic would be gone by now. there was another pile of wood under there that i'm pretty sure is treated and equally as old and it wasn't decomposed at all. some of the decomposed wood has a green tint but i'm not sure if that's just like algae or moss or what. also would the arsenic and other bad stuff still be in the nice soil?

i had another question but i can't remember what it was so whatever. if i remember i'll ask.

edit: just read this http://www.ecologycenter.org/factsheets/pressure-treated_wood.html
why the hell does this shit even exist?? pisses me off. i'm guessing the decomposed wood is not treated considering it's decomposing and treated wood kills bacteria and fungi. still would like your guys input. have to tell my parents about this because i think they might have used some treated wood to surround their veggie garden at the end of last year.

i use the soil from my old runs, rootballs and all in the promix like mix. add kitchen stuff (vegetable waste, eggs, shellfish shells.) some grass and trimmings, keep moist and turn weekly.

theres a book called teaming with microbes thats a pretty decent read to help step up your composting skills

hades

If there is ever any question about it, I usually don't use it. Stuff is easy enough to come by to throw in the bin =)

I just put this up the other day... It's a zip line from the second floor window of my place that's next to the kitchen down to my compost pile in the backyard about 120' away... Always hated going down and out there in the Winter =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idMqk14xUVI

(EDIT) Forgot to add that the Rodale's Guide to Composting is the best book I've found on the subject. Short enough to be direct, but also long enough to be concise. Had that thing next to my bed for years...great book.

slyman

^yea i ended up just not using the stuff. before i asked i did put a small amount of the soil into it but if it is bad i don't think it was enough to do any harm.

that zip line's awesome btw

slyman

so my compost pile was going good and staying at a good temp and then it got rained on a couple times last week and it won't heat back up. i threw a bunch of fresh hedge trimmings in there during this week and i've been checking it when it throw food scraps in there and it's still cold. will it probably just heat up slowly?

it wouldn't heat up before either until i threw a bit of leftover finished compost that i'd picked up for the vegetable garden.

slyman

thanks, i just checked it today and it's still cold. seems like nothing's going on in there anymore i don't get it. gonna throw some freshly cut grass in it next time the lawn is mowed and if that doesn't work i'll try out the alfalfa

M

MrSterling

The lawn is always a great heater for my pile as well. Dumped a bit too much grass/clover cuttings a while ago; that ammonia smell came off for a week as the excess N burned off. The pile ran hotter than hell though.

Dkgrower

Veteran
so my compost pile was going good and staying at a good temp and then it got rained on a couple times last week and it won't heat back up.

You can also mix the pile and set it again, then it sould heat up again.

I always build a compost and after 3 to 4 weeks mix and set it again Then after 6 to 8 weeks its almost composted.

having a impermabel bottom and top,so u dont flush out the good stuff and the compost pile dosent get to wet..

Stuff i add is pigion shit fresh, fishbone meal, wood ash, nettels, powder basalt rock and hay...set it like a lasagna thin layer off manure dusted with fishbone meal, woodash and basalt. Then a thick layer off hay and so forth.

Then i water i all with alfalfa- nettel tee and off she goes after 3 to 4 week i mix the pile and after 2 months is 95% done.

If the weather is to hot and the compost dry out then give it some water...:tiphat:
After that it is sived and used in the garden and in tee

Latest posts

Latest posts