What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grape Ape

G

Nspecta said:
S4V~ It's #4 man...tha way I hear tell (and maybe CaliColi can back me up on this)...Apothecary was given some No Name beans & tha Grape Ape was a selection out of those beans...as fer tha "GDGA"...they grew their Grape Ape side by side with GrandDad & figure they're tha same thing...as fer all tha lineage they are stating is concerned...mere speculation on their part...no more/no less...

...I do agree with them about GA being an Urkle Hybrid though...but...

...personally, I don't know why everyone's all worked up about tha GrandDaddy & Grape Ape...I've smoked a dozen 'Urkle Hybrids' that are light years better than those two...just my 2 bitz though.

And...yes GA is a slow vegger just like tha others.

On an end note...I'm dropping GrandDaddy & Grape Ape after one last side by side grow...only keepin' tha Urkle mother cut from now on.

IGT

Thanks for the info NGT. I remember talking to you a little bit in PM about Urkle crosses/hybrids. I've been thinking about what you said about URkle needing to be crossed with something more vigorous than Big Bud so i'm looking into potential genetics :chin: It's been a while since i bought seeds tho and i forgot the stock from established breeders cost a grip. I used to spending 30 bucks on cbay :smile:

I can't claim to know what the parents of Grape Ape are, but it's definitely not related to Urkle. I've smoked all three from trusted sources (the Grape Ape clone came from Eddy Lepp, and I live in the birthplace of Urkle), and they're quite different. Grape Ape, when it turns color, is a dark, almost black purple, smells and tastes of wine grapes, and has a very couchlocky indica stone. Urkle generally turns a lighter purple (I've seen straight violet specimens), tastes and smells of sweet, slightly rotten berries, and has a very trippy/sativa stone, despite being indica dominant. Urkle is a relatively low yielder, while Grape Ape is somewhat higher (though still not a cash cropper). According to Eddy Lepp (disclaimer: this information is separated by 2 degrees from its source), he got the Ape clone from Florida for an exorbitant amount of money, but that's all I know in terms of it's origin.

Sidenote: Grape Ape x Legends Ultimate Indica is an amazing plant. 3/4 lbs. outdoors in a 5 gal fiber pot, extremely pungent, and a knockout smoke. Make the cross if you have the opportunity, it won't disappoint.

N

Neptune

I too would like a vigerous Indica/Sativa hybrid MALE plant to toss some pollen at my Bay Area purples. The Purple Erkle, Granddaddy, Kush, and Ape are all nice strains but they all share one big deficiency: Low Vigor, Low Yeild

Guess that's why people charge 4500 an LB...
All these purples are pretty similar if you ask me, I have grown and smoked many. I don't really differentiate.

Neptune said:
I too would like a vigerous Indica/Sativa hybrid MALE plant to toss some pollen at my Bay Area purples.

True Blueberry x Purple Urkle? Super Silver Haze x Urkle? Yum. Unfortunately, I'll bet the reason that the norcal purples are all clone only is that their good traits are largely recessive. It'd be interesting to try, though.

S4vvy said:
Is the Grape Ape slow to veg like GDP and Urkle?

veges super fast compared to gdp and urkle. also has a nice little stretch, i flower at 1 foot and she ends up finishing around 2.5 feet.

G

mendo-local said:
veges super fast compared to gdp and urkle. also has a nice little stretch, i flower at 1 foot and she ends up finishing around 2.5 feet.

Saints be praised! To be honest i dont mind the low yeild of Urkle but i wish it was faster. Oh well, thats what perpetual/staggered rooms are for ;)

BFP420

Heres a Grape ape Flowering at day 24 under 1000w. Got it in clone form from someone.Anddddd boyyy i got serval other strains such as blue widow, bubblegum, and master kush flowering and this is by far the best smelling one! In veg this plant is very very skunky/grapey doesnt grow to fast once in flower its scent completly changes and is grapey/perfumey. So far only been three weeks and the buds are gettin really resinous. Ive smoked the grape ape before(bought a sack from same guy i got the clone) and it is couchlocky, and as described before a purpleish black color. Also ive smoked the Urkle from the same guy and it is deffinitly in the same class.

beancounter

Veteran
i liked the sounds of skunky/grapey, sounds like the Ape would be my favorite tasting of the 3, but I'll never know until I try 'em. A good purple is definately one thing I lack, nothing purple besides DC has made me smile..

I got a few Bubba Kush x Grape Ape (S1 pollen) vegging right now, one fem, 1 male, 1 unsexed.. I'm sure she'll be a tasty girl.. Should I save any males and make S/F2s? and look for GApe phenos? Or can the original S1 pollen from the GApe cause problems in further gens?

I think i'll save a male until the fems show what they're made off, or kill off the males and jus wait for the real cut :chin:

My interest has definately been piqued with the skunk descriptions, she sounds divinely tasty. :yummy:

kilacaLIbud

a member on here 00420 used to grow grape ape by the 250 round coil hydro set up he used to pull alot of grape from a coil SOG . check his threads

G

beancounter said:
i liked the sounds of skunky/grapey, sounds like the Ape would be my favorite tasting of the 3, but I'll never know until I try 'em. A good purple is definately one thing I lack, nothing purple besides DC has made me smile..

I got a few Bubba Kush x Grape Ape (S1 pollen) vegging right now, one fem, 1 male, 1 unsexed.. I'm sure she'll be a tasty girl.. Should I save any males and make S/F2s? and look for GApe phenos? Or can the original S1 pollen from the GApe cause problems in further gens?

I think i'll save a male until the fems show what they're made off, or kill off the males and jus wait for the real cut :chin:

My interest has definately been piqued with the skunk descriptions, she sounds divinely tasty. :yummy:

That Bubba x Grape Ape sounds like a nice cross. Bubba anything seems nice tho from what i've been reading ;)

As far as purples, have you tried Urkle or Grandaddy (Urkle x Big Bud)? Dont know your location but those seem to get around up and down cali

Last edited:
G

S4vvy said:
To be honest i dont mind the low yeild of Urkle but i wish it was faster. Oh well, thats what perpetual/staggered rooms are for ;)

exactly :sasmokin:

beancounter

Veteran
S4vvy said:
That Bubba x Grape Ape sounds like a nice cross. Bubba anything seems nice tho from what i've been reading ;)

Yeah, i'm stoked on the Bubba Ape, it should be nice, I'll flower em soon.

As far as purples, have you tried Urkle or Grandaddy (Urkle x Big Bud)? Dont know your location but those seem to get around up and down cali

No, i haven't tried any of them.. Like I said only DC so far has been good purple pot i've grown/smoked..

I'm not in the US bro, so it makes it difficult to get some stuff... Also, i've had them coming a few dif times but it jus never materialized.. It's not a huge deal, as I know i'll eventualy get to growing some or all of them.. From going thru quite a few 'elites' they jus sound like something I would like or that would suit my tastes, so i've gotten a lil more interested in them lately.. If I was as interested in the purple a while ago as I am now I'd probly be running some of them by now, but I had other clones in my sights :wink:

I gotta say, it's a pretty civil kush/purple thread, with some good and interesting info.

G

hello there :joint:
i see this thread is still rocking and with no bad blood, whooo what a refreshing thing to see/read....

i guess i'm going to be the odd man out and disagree with the folks who say purple urkle is a low yielder, but i guess that all depends on what pp see as a low yielding plant/strain....

i did fine with the two urk's i grew and one was HEAVYLY seeded and still produced a decent yield, i got 80grams dried from my two urk's and two me thats pretty good.....

the GDP and the GA are both strains that i would love to grow, i had the chance to try the GDP this round but i'm finding my space over crowed as it is so i had to pass for now.....

the APE on the other had seemd to be a bit harder to get ahold of, i did manage to get gifted a sample of the APE its not hear yet but its on its way....

Bcounter, that cross sounds awesome ummm but i do have a Question which one is the father...i thought they were both clone only, was the bubba used an S1 or did you get lucky and find a couple GA seeds and got a male from there, or perhaps there was reverse agent used.....

not at all trying to start anything my friend just woundering how you made that cross.....
urkle kicks assssss :joint: :joint:

darthvapor

im a heavy smoker and to me the grape ape and the granddaddy and the urkle all have a weak high. They taste great but the high doesnt last all that long. Maybe I smoke to much. The only purples ive found to be worthwile is deep chunk and mendo purps.

beancounter

Veteran
jaws said:
Bcounter, that cross sounds awesome ummm but i do have a Question which one is the father...i thought they were both clone only, was the bubba used an S1 or did you get lucky and find a couple GA seeds and got a male from there, or perhaps there was reverse agent used.....

not at all trying to start anything my friend just woundering how you made that cross.....
urkle kicks assssss :joint: :joint:

Hey no worries bro.. I really wasn't sure how to type it.. But as I was told, while making pure Grape Ape S1s, some of the pollen was dusted onto Bubba aswell..

I'm not exactly sure if it's supposed to make them fem beans, but i do have a male showing so far :chin:

but yeah, i got them as BKxGA, so i asked the same Qs jaws, no worries.

Nspecta

Veteran
darthvapor said:
im a heavy smoker and to me the grape ape and the granddaddy and the urkle all have a weak high. They taste great but the high doesnt last all that long. Maybe I smoke to much. The only purples ive found to be worthwile is deep chunk and mendo purps.

darthvapor~ Interestingly enough...most everyone I've ever talked with says tha exact opposite of what you are saying...Urkle/GDP/Ape all have decently strong highs & Deep Chunk & Mendo Purp's have the weaker/shorter high. Are you sure you've even smoked any of 'em before? :chin:

jaws~ Urkle can be a solid yielder fer sure...alotta folks just have trouble dialing her in.

IGT

G

hello friends :joint:
ahhhh wooowww so your saying there RE some S1 grape ape seeds floating around somewhere?...if so there being kept damn silent about them, ive never heard that there were any around...i guess you cant blame the ppl who have them for not openly talking about them......

bean are you going to be making any seeds with your male??...

nspecta, hello friend ya thats the trick i supose :chin: i have only run her once and loved every part of her "except for the vegg time" really really fine weed for sure......

mendo purps i hear alot about but have no bro's with it that i know of...
peace guys :joint:

Last edited:
G

Yes, there are GA S1s floating around... if you look around, hard, you can find some. The best part is that they are free. Daywrecker S1s too I hear. :chin:

Hey Nspecta, I posted some "GDP", pics at another site awaiting your trained eye. ;)