What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grape Ape

natefrog

i've heard it described by the HT crew many times as a seed bred by apothecary........another one of those companies only HT has ever heard of, like TTech..........Ultraviolet, ect.....lol........online GA is always referred to as a cut..........the KK story would explain that though........nate

natefrog

mark6699331 said:
I would say it has something like urkle, purp. nepal, stinky pinky, and maybe one other or a cross of some of these strains maybe some blueberry I think some SOHUM grower said it was blueb. x urkle.

-M

forgive me, friend............but that kind of off the hip speculation put to text is the reason so much confusion persists...........some idiot will read that and think that you wouldnt have typed it if werent reliable, he'll pass it on to someone else as gospel, and bingo, it starts.......and never stops.........just my 2......nf

E

easyrasta

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT EARLIER
grape ape is Paki x Skunk #1
Peace
Ez

cannable

i believe.. according to a mod that used to be on this site... said something about it being related to a purple kush or something.. not actually kush.. but hindu kush mountains kush.

calicoli06

GDGA From now on the Grape Ape according to Mr. apothecary seeds is called Granddaddy Grape Ape. He told me first hand. Grape Ape= GDP
peace

E

easyrasta

Not quite. GDP is granddaddy purple which is a cross of purple urkle and big bud.
grape ape was also called grandaddy grape ape. this is the email i received froom apothecary seeds....the origin of the genetics are Paki and Skunk #1. Purple from Paki and density from the Skunk#1. Originated, we believe in Northern Cali 3-4 decades ago. Also known as Granddaddy, Granddaddy grape ape, purple erkle, all different phenotypes. Thanks for your inquiry."

Peace
Ez

E

easyrasta

Im not doubting you brother calico
just passing along what i got via e-mail
peace
Ez

tdmaker2

What I know...

What I know...

I have first hand experience growing and smoking. The Grape Ape, Urkle, and Grand Daddy Purple are all SIMILAR. But they are all very distinctively different. I have had mother plants of the Grape over two years now. I cannot comment on exact parentage except that I too heard from a reliable source that it is Big Bud x Urkle just like GDP. However, I don't know if they are sisters from the same batch or if they simply have the same pedigree. I couldn't even tell you if the Big Bud parent is the same. I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT IS OBVIOUS in smell and taste that they are related. The smell is unmistakeable...candied sweet spicey grape smell is how I describe it...

The following is my opinion only based on first hand observation (my grow room):
In my opinion the Grape Ape is the most potent of the purples. And it does get almost black as it purples. I grow it at 72 degrees...GDP is strong too but not as potent as the Grape. However, the GDP is a much better yielder. You could easily get 1.5lb/1000 watts with GDP. That isn't neccessarily that easy without Co2 for the Grape Ape. The Grape Ape tends to grow flowers with shorter colas and other buds shaped like a ball (golfballs or tennis balls). GDP tends to produce larger colas producing more weight.

I grew a batch of Grape Ape this past summer during the hottest part of the year and the batch was mostly green without much color. People were still asking for it like crazy even knowing that it was green. Many were asking for it over other green varieties like bubbleberry, jack the ripper, vortex, etc...(but not the arcata trainwreck :)

I hope this helps...I've also got the Urkle and Purple Cream...

G

Good info. It seems to me that the Ape is not as spread around as the other purples. I've also heard the story that its a sister of GDP. That would make Urkle the momma and then her make up would be the Paki X Skunk#1.

Just some thoughts.

tdmaker2 said:
I have first hand experience growing and smoking. The Grape Ape, Urkle, and Grand Daddy Purple are all SIMILAR. But they are all very distinctively different. I have had mother plants of the Grape over two years now. I cannot comment on exact parentage except that I too heard from a reliable source that it is Big Bud x Urkle just like GDP. However, I don't know if they are sisters from the same batch or if they simply have the same pedigree. I couldn't even tell you if the Big Bud parent is the same. I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT IS OBVIOUS in smell and taste that they are related. The smell is unmistakeable...candied sweet spicey grape smell is how I describe it...

The following is my opinion only based on first hand observation (my grow room):
In my opinion the Grape Ape is the most potent of the purples. And it does get almost black as it purples. I grow it at 72 degrees...GDP is strong too but not as potent as the Grape. However, the GDP is a much better yielder. You could easily get 1.5lb/1000 watts with GDP. That isn't neccessarily that easy without Co2 for the Grape Ape. The Grape Ape tends to grow flowers with shorter colas and other buds shaped like a ball (golfballs or tennis balls). GDP tends to produce larger colas producing more weight.

I grew a batch of Grape Ape this past summer during the hottest part of the year and the batch was mostly green without much color. People were still asking for it like crazy even knowing that it was green. Many were asking for it over other green varieties like bubbleberry, jack the ripper, vortex, etc...(but not the arcata trainwreck :)

G

tdmaker2 said:
... Many were asking for it over other green varieties like bubbleberry, jack the ripper, vortex, etc...(but not the arcata trainwreck :)

:smile:

tdmaker2 said:

ive been hitting 2 lbs a light lately with grape ape, the c02 made the difference between 1.85 and 2 for me. comming from someone who has also grown gdp,urkle and ape id say tdmaker2's post is pretty much on the money. grape ape = big bud x urkle. i also find it far more potent than its relatives.

mark6699331

Sorry nate frog, That's just what I heard up here in humboldt. I guess easy rasta guy is probably correct. I wonder if the skunk provides some purple to it as well as the paki. I had just heard rumors in rio dell as to the genetics. I would think you're correct about urkle, gdp, and grape ape all being the same but diff. phenos. Everyone up here (humboldt) I know comments on how they think all three are the same strain with slight differences. BTW anyone got a grape ape pic to post????

-M

G

Urkle and GDP are not supposed to be different offspring of the same parents. Urkle is supposedly the Mother of GDP. Whats up for discussion is whether or not the Grape Ape is really the Sister of Urkle or the Sister of GDP.

IF theyre related at all...

Using the word of mouth "facts" so far theres a few possibilities there. 1) When GDP was made there were obviously other plants and more than likely some got saved if they were worth a damn. Maybe the Ape is one of them.

2) When Urkle was discovered long ago from seed there were probably other plants that were impressive, saved, and for one reason or another only started making its rounds recently. This scenerio would also mean the Paki x Skunk1 parentage is shared with Urkle (obviously) and kinda ends the mystery of the true parents of Urkle

3) Its really Paki x Skunk1 grown independently of GDP and Urkle, and the fact that its so similar to Urkle and Gdp give hints to the possible parents of Urkle

or

4) None of the above

I hope NGT jumps in here sooner or later with some info. If its purple, old school, and comin from the Triangle, he prolly got some inside info ;)

I've smoked urkle,gdp, and grape ape. All of them are great. Grape Ape wins first place for me with the urkle coming in second. Where could a med patient get some ape cuts?

Nspecta

Veteran
S4vvy said:
Urkle and GDP are not supposed to be different offspring of the same parents. Urkle is supposedly the Mother of GDP. Whats up for discussion is whether or not the Grape Ape is really the Sister of Urkle or the Sister of GDP.

IF theyre related at all...

Using the word of mouth "facts" so far theres a few possibilities there. 1) When GDP was made there were obviously other plants and more than likely some got saved if they were worth a damn. Maybe the Ape is one of them.

2) When Urkle was discovered long ago from seed there were probably other plants that were impressive, saved, and for one reason or another only started making its rounds recently. This scenerio would also mean the Paki x Skunk1 parentage is shared with Urkle (obviously) and kinda ends the mystery of the true parents of Urkle

3) Its really Paki x Skunk1 grown independently of GDP and Urkle, and the fact that its so similar to Urkle and Gdp give hints to the possible parents of Urkle

or

4) None of the above

I hope NGT jumps in here sooner or later with some info. If its purple, old school, and comin from the Triangle, he prolly got some inside info ;)

S4V~ It's #4 man...tha way I hear tell (and maybe CaliColi can back me up on this)...Apothecary was given some No Name beans & tha Grape Ape was a selection out of those beans...as fer tha "GDGA"...they grew their Grape Ape side by side with GrandDad & figure they're tha same thing...as fer all tha lineage they are stating is concerned...mere speculation on their part...no more/no less...

...I do agree with them about GA being an Urkle Hybrid though...but...

...personally, I don't know why everyone's all worked up about tha GrandDaddy & Grape Ape...I've smoked a dozen 'Urkle Hybrids' that are light years better than those two...just my 2 bitz though.

And...yes GA is a slow vegger just like tha others.

On an end note...I'm dropping GrandDaddy & Grape Ape after one last side by side grow...only keepin' tha Urkle mother cut from now on.

IGT

hieagle420

Cannabis Creeper
Veteran
here are some Grape Ape harvest pics.. they were only 18 inches tall at harvest.. put them in at 8 inches tall... they one still flowering in teh last pic is over 2ft tall and packing it on.. Keep It Green and Stay Safe.. HE

Latest posts

Latest posts