What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Silverfish

Hi!
Can someone tell, is this silverfish bad for growing in cococoir?
I have had some larvae in my pots, but no flying things....last two runs, i have cleaned well and buy always new pots,dripper hoses etc...
Thanks for advance

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
I dont think so, other than being unsightly they dont seem to pose a threat to plants.
Wiki says they eat starches, polysaccharides , sugars and such.

Are you using sugars/carbs of any sort in your nutes? Maybe they are just attracted to the moisture in your pots.

Wiki.
"Silverfish consume matter that contains polysaccharides, such as starches and dextrin in adhesives.[4] These include book bindings, carpet, clothing, coffee, dandruff, glue, hair, some paints, paper, photos, plaster, and sugar. They will damage wallpaper in order to consume the paste.[15] Silverfish can also cause damage to tapestries. Other substances they may eat include cotton, dead insects, linen, silk, or even their own exuvia (moulted exoskeleton). During famine, a silverfish may even attack leatherware and synthetic fabrics. Silverfish can live for a year or more without eating if water is available.[2][4][16]

Silverfish are considered household pests, due to their consumption and destruction of property.[2] However, although they are responsible for the contamination of food and other types of damage, they do not transmit disease.[4][17] Earwigs, house centipedes, and spiders are known to be predators of silverfish.[18][19] Silverfish die on contact with toxins such as Permethrin or Deltamethrin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

" Silverfish

Silverfish (Lepisma saccharina) are 1/2 to 3/4-inch long, silver segmented nocturnal household pests that often spend time in the garden. While they do not normally feed on living plants, they may eat dead insects or fungi. Silverfish are often attracted to the wet conditions found in irrigated garden areas, as well as under bark, rocks and other debris. Control is generally aimed at preventing silverfish from infesting nearby homes. Silverfish in gardens are not considered to be problem insects, otherwise.
Management

When silverfish become abundant in gardens, wet spots should be uncovered and dried: eliminate hiding spots where silverfish have been seen. Several inorganic dusts that contain boric acid or silica gel mixed with pyrethrins are good for managing large populations, if applied according to package directions. Diatomaceous earth is often used against silverfish, as well. These powdered barriers provide very good control as long as they remain dry. If the material cakes, it will cease to be effective and will require reapplication."

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/garden-pest-control-earwigs-silverfish-30126.html

so those wont lay eggs, and become larvae....
I have to take some photos, if my next run is full of maggots....
meaning I hope those wont appear again to my girls. I f so have to get something to ged rid of them...maybe neem??

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
It says DE is effective . Since they are attracted to moisture, try drying things out a bit.

Betterhaff

Veteran
added clip

added clip

Silverfish don’t normally harm plants, they’re more a part of the clean up crew, but they are gross and can cause damage in the household. Boric acid powders and pyrethrins are good controls. Also trying to eliminate dampness helps but hard to do in a grow room.

Every time I hear or read about silverfish it reminds of the episode of the Rockford Files when Angel was in a restaurant and had a small vial of them. After eating half or most of his meal he’d sprinkle a few on the plate and complain to the management…trying to get a free meal, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy_a0FE4EIE

ok. maybe they just lay down bottom of my pots, so cannot figure out anything else, no flying things, just larvae and they eat my roots....so going to try neem, and sticky tape/paper
Any suggestions to get rid off larvae, dont know what but population getting bigger.
White 1mm long, jumping and run off water is full of those....not yet, but last run those same parasites and tooked 1/3 of my crop, fuckers. I hate alot and well identified and no photo, because so small and at run off rez.
Never Give Up, i pull 20 gram bushes

tried to...or tired...

tried to...or tired...

but, I just pour 5 liters tap water, hot, and some 1 ml pyrethrine, and they are gone.....and those were by silverfish larvae, nothing else isnt so resistance...or present.
I cleaned all cracks and holes and hope to see what did it effect tomorrow....

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh yeah, springtails....attracted to excessive moisture and organic material, mostly a nuisance pest, doing little damage to plants. They will chew roots in the soil where they're located, and can inhibit plant hardiness. But they seldom do major damage.

yes they like alot to chew my roots....but now they are gone, but i tested only 2 plants whitch were full of those...so I have to "treat" them all.....but worth it i guess, because both are fine, looked like overwatered, those are still growing new leaves. I am going to wait couple days more, and if everything is fine, so goodbye for those fuckers, but i have bad infection in growing place....so have to figure how to keep them out of my pots.....