What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic liquid nutes flavor

THC123

Veteran
Hi guys

After growing in living soil i did a grow with liquid organic nutes. I only gave them 3 times at half dose and 4 weeks only water.

I had a bigger yield then with living soil. I used bac bloom and organic pk booster.

The plants were nice and yellow and the weed is very smooth and tasty but...all strains (autos) taste the same. All smooth but very sweet, like smoking candy. I also taste the smell combined with the smell of the nutes, which smell very caramel molasses like, is translated into the bud. Especially when the joint is more then halfway it tastes like carmamel. Very smooth but I taste the Sugar on my tongue... If it wasn't so sweet I would like the taste cuz it is so smooth....

I thought this was to feed the bacteria, but my weed tastes like candy, all strains taste like fucking candy.

With canna bloom it was less candy like but still a major difference versus only water and good soil.
Wtf, I will go back to only water and soilds but how come? I only gave the nutes 3 times, and still such a big difference versus truly organic...

Did I do something wrong or is this normal?

Are there liquid nutes, organic or chemical that don't change the taste?

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
hey bro, live and learn right?
now figure out how to blend that stuff you ruined into the next batch of soil lol
jk but no really

its fine, we make mistakes daily
get your next batch of soil ready and cut in a lil of the old stufff 10% maybe until its healthy again
but dont keep using it for sure, cut it into a much larger batch

Drewsif

Bottled nutes grow fake weed.. God told me so. I knew the "Organic hydro" nutes were too good to be true. Its an oxymoron. Organic = feeding soil. What soil?

I call it fake, because what would you call a tomatoe that tasted like lettuce soaked in sugar? That's how hydro works. Either taste chemical soaked lettuce, or taste a fake masking flavor from a bottle. The organic angle is the candy scent, my dude. Because you can't get real Cannabis scents/flavor/nutrition from hydro. So they gotta fake it. The bottled stuff isn't meant for soil but theyll ruin any crop you let them. Im not an expert, Im just smart enough to know that if soil can grow tomatoes in 2 months, and trees that live for hundreds of years, it has the energy to grow weed. No Monsanto required. Dont need unsmokable show buds for the county fair. Steroid chemical miracle gro novelty county fair pumpkins will never be an acceptable standard for consumable produce. Cannabis must adapt similar standards. Say no to ornamental novelty Cannabis! (pretty much everything grown with "Cannabis" nutes)

If produce, or any plant of value can be adapted for souless, excuses me, soil-less sterile grow conditions, it would take longer than since the 70s to happen.

Is it normal? No. Apples never taste like Budcandy. Watermelons never taste like SugaBloom or whatever. Meyer lemons ALWAYS taste like Meyer lemons. Cows always taste like beef and turkies always tastes like turkey. It only happens with weed. So no, its not normal. Cannabis is the only plant in the world with a gimmick industry built around it which actually hurts quality across the board. I collect pine resin from around the world and none of it smells like 'pine'. The world has very diverse soil. Some smells cheesy and astringent, some smells like lemon starch. Its in the soil (the source of nutrients does matter, science can suck me on that one.) So when you have no soil, plants can't express themselves. These products were not made for anyone whose ever grown real weed before (rols). Flavored fertilizers for bland hydro, Thats the game but the net is much wider.

These "cannabis specific" adulterant products need taken off the market. Hydroponics needs exposed for what it is. No savior of humanity. Food has to have natural nutrition to be food. And not cause cancer when ingested.. You cant inject Flintstones vitamins into Ramen noodles and call it health food.

Flavor/nutrition/value comes from bacteria eating each other, and the roots eating specific bacteria poop. Different genetics exude different "sweat" that attract different bacteria to the root, that produce the poop that produces the different smells and flavors when eaten by the plant. No bacteria: no bacteria poop: no flavor. So the hydro industry add single molecule carbohydrates and esters to the fertilizers directly, which are absorbed by the roots, directly. Contrary to the fake science they put out saying this cant happen. Its very easy. The first time i grew with Molasses during flower, molasses was present in the vapor sample.

Most people don't know what weed smells like in my town because every dispensary grows with bottles. It's just nutes and sprays that most weed smells like (wasn't true til i came to a legal state where weed is grown hydroponically, for profit, rather than organically, for quality)

I will say it loud and proud, fuck any company that has to weasel sugar into your plants as some gimmick to enhance its bag appeal. Thats why all the buds are frosty white and everything taste like fucking sugar these days! I just smoked Sucanet. Shouldn't be able to tell that! Weed never taste like sugar when i grow it myself! It has a distinct sugary-spice taste that can't be replicated. Molasses, sucanet, honey, Maple, try them all, you cant fake it. Only clog your lungs with carmalized sugar. The joke has become reality. Everything in America is soaked in sugar to hide the fact that the commercial product has no flavor of its own. The hydroponic era. Brawndo nutes will even fade your plants because the sugars tie up other nutes over time. They aren't starved, they are sugarclogged at the root.

Funny, the growstore carbs "for feeding micros" only come in the form of fruit scented sugar water flushing agents and sweeteners. Isn't bread a carb? Cant I feed my soil bread? Why's it always bottles with Blueberries and Lemons and Pineapples on the label? Hahahaha. These people are trying to grow plants. I like to grow soil and let nature grow the plants. Then you know it's natural, ie real. Not some invention of your own mind/gullibility/expectations. People are really in denial about this stuff. Trying to grow natural medicine in water tanks. Killing their barely-terps with fake-terp additives and calling it an improvement. Passing ferts off as terps. Sticky/grease additives, hardeners, dyes. It never ends.

And look at the new strains they are pushing. Cake. Milk. Sugar this, cookie that. Chocolate whatever, vanilla whocares. Carmel milk and cookies kush, lol. Damn at one time I joked about breeding strains that already smell like pesticides but Im beginning to wonder why any sugary strain would enter the spotlight like they have. Same with Bananas.. Lots of nutes make your bud smell like Banana candy. Which everyone hates. Then Banana strains start popping up and everyone loves them..? If Im smoking bananas they better be ancient fermented dug out of a sarcophagus bananas, not wax coated scratch and sniff plastic candy bullshit.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Did I do something wrong or is this normal?
Debatable. Is it normal? Yes, very normal in the cannabis community. Is it your fault? Hell no! Missing information is the culprit here.

Are there liquid nutes, organic or chemical that don't change the taste?

YES and NO
Cannabis deals with nutrients and other things differently than fruits and vegetables. Many things which are not systemic with other plants, are definitely systemic with cannabis. Excess nutrients, which would not normally be absorbed by fruit or vegetable plants, are drawn into the plant and disposed of accordingly. Cannabis can, and will, deposit material into new growth without converting it.

Excess nitrogen, sugars, elements, flavinoids (flavors in amendments/products), heavy metals and more, they're all absorbed and concentrated by cannabis.

No, these do not flush out. No, these do not fade out. At harvest, these elements and other contaminates will still be present in the tissue of the plant. This means your flowers.

Any time a cannabis plant is overfed, it will hang on to as much excess as possible, for as long as possible, and then it will start binding it to tissue. Any time an element is available in excess, the same will happen. Sugars? Same thing. It will absorb it and hold on to it for use. After a while of no use, it will be dealt with.

A regular mix of elements with only one element in excess, either amendments or bottled (doesn't matter), and the plant will be slowly degrading quality the entire grow. The entire time the element is available in excess, cannabis will absorb and retain it. Only takes one. ;)

So, in short, you found out why I'm extremely picky about what goes in my hydro reservoir, why I'll use amendments sparingly and why I never use sugars. :D

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've seen plants grown organically outdoors in the ground and those grown indoors in containers with bottled organic nutrients. The results are very similar and the quality is always very high.

You can't forget the breeding side of the "sweet" smell and flavor when you talk about these things. It seems that so many different lines now all smell the same but the effect and potency differs a lot. Most everything is a hybrid so there is part of the answer.

-Funk

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I don't use more than a few ml/gallon of Floralicious+, when I mix my flowering reservoir. More than 2-3ml/gallon and I can taste it in the end cannabis, 72 days later.

Everything in my garden comes out unique, unless it's seriously close heritage. Allowing cannabis to fully express itself is priceless in the end product. :) You'd swear my cannabis was the cleanest organic you've ever had. Growers do not recognize the end cannabis, from cuts they've given me. ;)

Leaf Eater

Seems like flavoring your bud on the vine is the latest trend. Everyone says it can not be done but it has and it is not a positive result. I do know guys that all their smoke tastes the same did not matter what strain.

KONY

Veteran
Organic vegetables that are fed too much dry organic ingredients definitely taste like shit. Perfect examples are carrots and lettuce.

So I dont think this is limited to liquid ingredients.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Hot soil that is too hot makes for poor tasting weed, same as unflushed hydro, same thing

Years ago a FoaF piled on the fish mix, ended up with fish weed, and not in a good way, stinky off fish, not nice fish..