What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blue Cheese 100 Gallon Organic Outdoor Grow

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
looks good! what did the soil + amendments run you for that pot?

good luck with your season, I'm a bagseed lover from way back.:tiphat:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
@ManyManySpliffs

This blue cheese was the only seed ive ever given food to at fresh planting. Lol thing held onto its cotyledon leaves for like 6 weeks, made me anxious as hell waiting all that time to feed when most drop them in like 2 weeks.

Its funny now that i think about it, the fear and intimidation of stunting my plant is probably the main reason my plants done this well lmao.

Outdoor growing, soil and organics, dry fertilizer, fish fertilizer, mega roots, never tryed any of it before.

My approach to growing over the years has always been a "less is more" kind of thing though.

I read a post somewhere that said stunting your plants is similar to switching from drive to reverse in a car, you come to a complete stop first.

The way i see it letting them get a little hungry here and there is better than overfeeding. They dont get stopped completely, just slowed down a little if any.

I can definitely relate to the anxiousness though of coming back to growing after a hiatus. I find myself wandering to the back yard alot during the day just trying to find something to do to it/afraid something could have happened to it.

Maybe i can take some clones this time, i should fold leaves out of the way for nodes to get light, i should remove that one fan leaf, i should supercrop another branch, How is the branch that split a week ago in the rain?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
@chunkypigs

In total i spent $170 on this grow, and thats nutes included for the whole veg and flower season and the cost of the pot.

100 gallon pot was just under $15 from ebay.

6 1.5 cu ft bag kellogs patio plus $36
(Literally fox farm ocean forest for $6 per bag!)

4 cu ft vigoro perlite $35
(Found perlite much cheaper 2 weeks later lol)
Espoma 6.75lb organic garden lime $5
Two 8lb bags of jobes heirloom tomato food $20
One gallon alaska fish fertilizer ~$18
Pennington 32oz kelp extract $10
Evolved habitats 1 gal molasses $11
(^82 brix rating, lucky find great deal)

I know this seems like a bunch of random stuff a poor uninformed kid would buy for his first grow lmfao!

This is actually the product of years of researching nutrients and marijuana growth, as well as cutting costs everywhere i can.

I read somewhere that marijuana needs about a 1:1 ratio of nitrogen to calcium in veg.

I was trying to piece together a feed system similar to mr bs green trees, its what the soil king uses on his 10lb and bigger outdoor trees.

Mr bs green trees veg is 7-4-4 and 6.5% calcium.

Jobes heirloom tomatoe is 2-5-3 & 7% calcium!
Alaska fish fertilizer is 5-1-1

For a combined total ratio of 7-6-4 with 7% calcium. Theres that 1:1 nitrogen to calcium!

Last edited:

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
The main reason i put a plant outside this year is because of its advertised mold resistance.

hi bro can u tell me what company has a mold resistant blue cheese strain? all the blue cheese i have tried in the past molded on me unless it did not rain a drop the last 2 weeks of flowering..i been looking for a good mold resistant strain but i have learned over the years if it rains the last couple weeks and then u have overcast skys a few days after u will get mold regardless if its mold resistant or not.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
all the blue cheese i have tried in the past molded on me unless it did not rain a drop the last 2 weeks of flowering..i been looking for a good mold resistant strain but i have learned over the years if it rains the last couple weeks and then u have overcast skys a few days after u will get mold regardless if its mold resistant or not.

I appreciate you writing that out, I was wondering how well strains with "mold resistance" actually fair against the rain. Lol and i waited all this time to go outdoors until i got a "good" wet weather strain.

When i looked into blue cheese's background alot of places say its uk cheese x blueberry. Advertising that it does well in cold and humid environments like the uk.

Ive been planning on building a cover for it with greenhouse plastic after the stretch just to be safe. Worst case ill go out there and shake and air dry that bitch with a box fan, it is advertised as "resistant" not "immune" lol.

I have a few questions Kygiacomo!!!

Whats your weather like during flowering?

Are your outdoor grows somewhere you can baby them or a guerilla patch?

Do your plants get good morning sun and airflow?

Roughly what % of bud on a plant do you think you lose to mold on average?

@ManyManySpliffs

Care to chime in on your experience with mold during flower?

Last edited:

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
im a guerillla grower but i still tend my patches 2 times a week sometimes more if we are in a drought..the weather here varies im at 37 n in the appilachian mountains..last year we didnt have a drop of rain in my area from mid august till mid oct. it was the first year ever that i had zero bud rot. my plants start getting sun at around 730am and get direct till 445ish. i really cant tell how much on avg i lose bc like i said it all depends on if it rains and stays overcast after the rain..if sun pops out then im good and dont worry about it..dont worry about the mold since u got urs at ur house..u can go out and shake them off after the ran or build a cover like u said..i cannot do that..hell if i had them here at the house i would take my leaf blower after a rain and dry them off lol u will be happy with how big that plant will get tho outdoor..i look forward to seeing it myself

ManyManySpliffs

I get it every now and then. Not too often though, it'll usually be a dense cola thats been soaked from constant rain. I tend to keep my plants under canopy well pruned for max airflow to avoid as much bud rot as possible.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
June, 25, 2017
Day 49 outdoors end week 7
Day 95 from germination

Fed 2 cups jobes heirloom tomato
10 gallons water with
20 tablespoon alaska fish
10 tablespoon kelp
10 teaspoon mega roots
4 teaspoon molasses

I pruned away the weaker branches and topped all of the main branches today to encourage more side branching, and made a batch of clones!

I am super happy with the way the plant responded to the LST and topping. It did not respond well to supercropping, so i just topped them before the supercropped "knuckles".

Front
picture.php

Stalk and pic of pruned branches
picture.php

Last edited:

41dad

Awesome plant. I'm about 6 weeks behind you with max plants of 6 in CA. How tall is your lady and how much direct light does it get daily? I followed your lead using 100 gallon grow bags and have them on wood base with casters to allow me to roll around backyard to get max sun and move into private spot. I need to keep height below 6 feet and will use aggressive LST to keep it short. Following your lead man.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
@41dad
thanks man, currently my plant is a little over 6ft with the pot, and the pot is 20 inches tall.
6:30am the sun is just touching the top of the plant.
7am upper 1/3 of plant has light
8am plant is encased in full sun until about 6pm so about 10 hours.

happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

June, 25, 2017
Day 49 outdoors end week 7
Day 95 from germination

Fed 2 cupes jobes heirloom tomatoe
10 gallons water with
20 tablespoon alaska fish
10 tablespoon kelp
10 teaspoon mega roots
4 teaspoon molasses

I pruned away the weaker branches and topped all of the main branches today to encourage more side branching, and made a batch of clones!

I am super happy with the way the plant responded to the LST and topping. It did not respond well to supercropping, so i just topped them before the supercropped "knuckles".

Front
View Image

Back
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73436&pictureid=1757647

Stalk and pic of pruned branches
View Image

Nice little monster you got going, it looks quite healthy & happy.

41dad

How much longer in veg state where you live? It's huge and I think the Blu Moon Mege Roots is making a big difference. I can't find it anywhere in So Cal. Where did you purchase the Blu Moon?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
This plant should veg another 5 weeks and begin flowering around the end of the first week of august.

My plant didnt really start to grow until about 2 weeks of being in the 100 gallon pot. It needs a bit of transition and root exploration time. It started growing pretty rapidly after that.

I actually just kinda came across the mega roots. A friend of my moms randomly gave us like 5 bottles of it conveniently right after i germed the seed.

They are a local nute co based here in tacoma.
They have a number on the blumoon site, you could probably order some.

ManyManySpliffs

My plant didnt really start to grow until about 2 weeks of being in the 100 gallon pot. It needs a bit of transition and root exploration time. It started growing pretty rapidly after that.

Yup, I can't wait to put my seedlings in the ground in the morning. I'm ready for them to takeoff. I might even do it tonight when the sun is going down. Once they get to 3ft then I can relax and start the waiting process.