What's new

Companion plants for cannabis, terpine boost, health aid, beneficial insect food, etc

Aphotic

So after a search on the web I haven't come up with much as far as companions for cannabis. All of the threads on IC are dead, and I'd like to see what's been working for people, as I imagine some of you have had companions for a few years now.

I'd like to make a list of:

terpine boosters
Insect repellers
Nutrient givers
Beneficial insect feeders
Immune system boosters
General health aids
Etc

Its clear to many of us in the organic world that monocropping leads to unhealthy, immune compromised, pest buffets. As long as you figure out what works with what, your plants will benefit. No you can't just plant everything with everything, and expect good results. Some companions are tolerated, some are beneficial, and some are harmful.

I think a good place to start is with the landraces, what grows along side them in their natural habitat? I've tried researching this and came up with less than nothing :( I'm hoping that some of you might be able to shed some light on this issue.

Let's take this beyond cover crops, to the next level!

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
When I grew living soil I found clover to help fix
nitrogen. Indoors micro.

Outdoors I grow tomatoes and peppers, herbs and lettuces.

Marigolds, borage, parsley and dill are my go to for
some measure of repellant for the hornworms that
eat tomato plant leaves.

There are various flowering plants my wife likes,
echinacea, gardenia, and lavender for flutterbyes.

Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/PHC/benefici.htm

From icmag:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=317832

Excellent thread

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've lately grown catnip from seed I'm my veg chamber.

I just discovered it has thrips. I thought the damage was residue from doctor Zymes sprays.

I've never had thrips before, but they sure do love the catnip more than the cannabis plants right next to it.

Rico Swazi

Yeah, its a keeper, tagetes is said to discourage root knot nematodes , has medicinal use and nice aesthetics .
Swiss chard has been an excellent trap plant for leaf miners, aphids and white fly this past year
will plant again.

Blue berry
picture.php

purple kush
picture.php

nice thread Aphotic
interested in seeing pics and hearing how others are being mindful the butterfly effect

Great outdoors

I have garlic, oregano, thyme and lavender growing in the same garden area as my plants. But I think the most beneficial companions are the weeds that grow naturally. I don't pull weeds at all other than cutting stuff back sometimes for light.

IMG_20200831_124151.jpg

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've heard that lots of folks guerilla grow near blackberry bushes to take advantage of the heavy thorns.
But lately I've been reading that blackberry vines are a breeding ground for powdery mildew and mites.

I would think a good companion for guerilla outdoor grow would be Stinging Nettle. Most people don't want to walk through waist high nettles.
Plus having biodynamic accumulator right next helps fertilize the soil. And you won't have to go far to make a nettle nutrient tea.

Rico Swazi

yeah buddy flowers with umbels like parsnip attract lacewings along with other beneficials

queen annes lace is one of the best weeds to let grow in the garden

and milkweed

Hastings

yeah buddy flowers with umbels like parsnip attract lacewings along with other beneficials

queen annes lace is one of the best weeds to let grow in the garden

We use dill for the same reason outside in the garden, plus we make dill pickles, and find other uses for it. It self-seeds like crazy but attracts swallow tail butterflies that want to lay their eggs on them. It's ironic because there are so many parasitic wasps flying around the flowers. They just lay a few eggs here and there, and a single larvae will consume an entire plant by the time it pupates. They don't bother other plants though, including the cannabis, and I think they're pretty cool.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I started some Chamomile for resin boosting. It is a hardy little plant in the Daisy family and it reeks of resin. It is very hard to get started though.The seed

G

Here is a cut and paste of my notes on the topic:

COMPANION PLANTS & ELIXIRS, THAT BOOST CANNABIS GROWTH

Yarrow: Gardening folklore promises, that yarrow increases essential oil production in neighbouring plants.

Chamomile: As if by magic, chamomile increases the turgor of its neighbours, including cannabis and bolsters essential oil production.

Coriander: A tea brewed from the crushed seeds of coriander can be used as a topical spray to control spider mites far more effectively than commercial poisons.

Alfalfa: The dried stalks can be brewed into a vitamin and mineral-rich tea, that can be sprayed on your marijuana and the whole garden to stimulate growth.

Marigold: One of the oldest companion plants, marigold stimulates growth in their neighbours and releases a chemical into the soil, that repels insects. This effect can last for years after.

St. Phatty

Heck, anything that draws Cannabis eaters away from your garden can be useful.

As can blackberries. They're like a mostly open shade-cloth but can be very useful for stealth grows.

Latest posts

Latest posts