What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Different effects between Sativa and Indica in edibles?

Cvh

Supermod
Hi all,

I have a short question.

Does anybody experience a difference in effect if either an Indica or a Sativa strain is used in an edible? Or does it all have the same effect because the terps get boiled off during the decarboxylation stage?

(I can't try this experiment myself because of a very bad experience with edibles in the past.)

Cheers

I wood

Yes, similar to differences in smoking.
These days I’m on a nearly 100% sativa diet, productivity is up.
I do provide for a couple of people who don’t notice any difference in sativa or indica leaning buds or hash. They don’t seem to get tired from smoking the way I do, they also smoke way more volume.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Yes there is a delta 'tween the 2.

I made some brownies out of previously vaped bud. They were good but it did seam they were fighting themselves, it's hard to explain e.g getting drunk on Irish coffees. You wind up as a wide awake drunk LOL and, your eye balls hurt the next day. Ask me how I know LOL.

Doctor M

I made some sativa dominant edibles that turned out to strong. My expeience with them was frightening.

Cvh

Supermod
I keep reading conflicting anecdotal reports on the web.
I have more trust in you guys here then any other sources.

Please keep sharing your personal experiences with Indica VS Sativa edibles.

G

I keep reading conflicting anecdotal reports on the web.
I have more trust in you guys here then any other sources.

Please keep sharing your personal experiences with Indica VS Sativa edibles.

Any more, I mix my trim that I tumble for hash, then I've sometimes made cannabis butter.

So as far as separating the effects of sativas here, versus Indica, I can't say, and my mothers are mostly heavily influenced by their lineage of Haze or Sativa, though there's some Indica in some of them, for sure.

That said, I can say quite assertively that I have been eating cannabis butter, plain, in place of viable extracts for capsules at the moment (soon to change, I think), and the pieces I eat each evening are about the same size, weight, etc.

I typically follow each 'dose' at night with several puffs of either hash, heat-pressed resin, or flower, and 1 shot of tequila, then bed time shortly there after..

The middle of the night experience, on those becoming-more-rare occasions when I wake up, varies considerably. Sometimes I wake up so high I am reluctant to try and stand up to make it to the restroom for a moment or 2, and other times I am barely high.... from the same cannabis butter, of about the same size and weight dose.

So I'm wondering if there are other factors or variables at play in this question.

ozzieAI

Veteran
Hi all,

I have a short question.

Does anybody experience a difference in effect if either an Indica or a Sativa strain is used in an edible?

Or does it all have the same effect because the terps get boiled off during the decarboxylation stage?

(I can't try this experiment myself because of a very bad experience with edibles in the past.)

Cheers

they mostly boil off and leave a bland sort of effect...i add terpenes back into the mix when i make my caps to create the effect i would like to have...adding terpenes makes edibles POP....

Cvh

Supermod
Great feedback. Thanks a lot.
Does anyone else has some experiences?

mme_oscar

they mostly boil off and leave a bland sort of effect...i add terpenes back into the mix when i make my caps to create the effect i would like to have...adding terpenes makes edibles POP....

Hey,

Interesting idea. Could you please develop: which kind of terpenes and how much?
Do you add them directly to coco butter?

Cheers

Drewsif

My edibles are always trippy, slur your speech. Other growers have given me edibles that made me lay down and have conscious breathing, not enjoyable.. We all grow relatively the same genetics though (although there's smells like fruit peels and spices rather than like an alien candy sewer)

ozzieAI

Veteran
My edibles are always trippy, slur your speech. Other growers have given me edibles that made me lay down and have conscious breathing, not enjoyable.. We all grow relatively the same genetics though (although there's smells like fruit peels and spices rather than like an alien candy sewer)

this is why i have gone to making caps to ensure a consistent product that has a known outcome, not only in strength but also effect...

DenverJim

Years ago when I had no idea of how much weed to use I I put ozs of bud and grams of keif. In with a stick or two of butter and water. The strain was Flo my fav at the time. Then I made an 8’ X 8’ glass baking dish. The brownies were the most euphoric I’ve ever eaten. Did the same with Jamaica Pearl. Got the same result.
Ever since I‘Ve been following the experts mainly Skunk Farm. My ediables turned to crap inconsistent with different highs from the same batch like you.
The exception was with Nevil’s Skunk. I grew 3 monster plants I Sk dom and two haze. I had bags and bags of the stuff. So I did the same as above used a lot of mixed materiL made a 9 X 12 pan. I eat a 2” x 2” brownie. Then I literally fast walked all over the neighborhood and trails in the neighborhood. The next day a friend came by. This guy smokes all day and gets up in the night to smoke more. I really don’t think he notices th difference between an up high and a couch lock one.
So I ate another whole brownie. He knew How strong Nevil’s was so would only eat one half. I experienced the same energetic high. He passed out for around 3 hrs I thought this was odd so the next day I consumed another whole brownie. I passed out this time. This is what I hate about ediables the inconsistency of the high.
I hate to go through the process of making shit again.
I will say that that an edible high is from a smoking high of the same strain.
I have never found a strain that will consistently make me sleep. So I have several on my night stand.