What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

narcolepsy

P-NUT

Veteran
Does anyone know if cannabis has any benefits for narcolepsy? If so what strains? Or does cbd help? My son was diagnosed and they want to treat him with stimulants. Im not really wanting him to take amphetamines so I'm looking for alternatives. It doesnt have to be cannabis either so if anybody has anything they know might help that is safe please let me know.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
good luck finding an natural alternative dont mean it sarcastically I just have kids and am prefer not to use modern pharmaceuticals

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the wife of a friend has narcolepsy. i have watched her go out while holding a joint, mid-sentence in a conversation.:) maybe an early harvested sativa? that might be mighty heart-racing stuff though...i hope you find a solution.:comfort:

iTarzan

Kids have the opposite reactions to some drugs then adults. That is why Ritalin calms hyperactive kids down and adults use it as speed.

Valium isn't given to kids because it makes them all hopped up.

I would guess a heavy indica or CBD strain that would put an adult to sleep would keep a child awake.

I do not really think cannabis would work for narcolepsy, but I have no idea.

Depending on how old your son is a try could not hurt, I guess.
You could try a very up sativa strain.
or
I read in a Interview with Dr. Russo, that CBD in low to moderate doses can have an activating effect. But I cannot find the interview at the moment.

This study mentions a mild activating effect of CBD too, but if that is enough to treat narcolepsy?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17712817
If you son is of young age, I would first try CBD only.

Genghis Kush

Kids have the opposite reactions to some drugs then adults. That is why Ritalin calms hyperactive kids down and adults use it as speed.

Valium isn't given to kids because it makes them all hopped up.

I would guess a heavy indica or CBD strain that would put an adult to sleep would keep a child awake.

that's not true

Drugs do not work in opposite ways on children and adults.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Can't answer your Q but there are CBD-rich sativa-leaning and indica leaning strains, and strains with very little THC in them (1%), you can find them in US shops. Not From US myself.

ACDC was one such low-THC strain. Sativa leaning.

https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/acdc

There are quite a few CBD-strain reviews and smoke reports at YouTube actually. ..the ACDC included.

They say many times CBD has a "focused"-effect and stimulating, not "drugy", might be worth to try those low-thc strains. But i haven't smoked/vaped any CBD-rich strains yet myslef ..but i'm vegging one ATM.

Hope you find something

:)

LostTribe

Premium user
I would recommend a strong sativa or cinderella or apollo if you really get into it they are the type to get you up and going rather than falling asleep on the couch. I am not sure how they would affect a child in oil form however. I don't really condone kids and mmj unless its a matter of life or death or seizures are involved. Stimulants are not any better I suppose. Best of Luck to you and your son.

P-NUT

Veteran
Thanks guys. My son was misdiagnosed. Sleep study showed narcolepsy but his neurologist is awesome and realized its a super rare condition called kls and he will grow out of it.

Bankie1977

CBD OIL

CBD OIL

My wife has been diagnosed with narcolepsy and catalepsy around 5 years ago due to a severe car accident.

After diagnosis treatment started with Provigil (Modafinil) to keep her awake during the day and sleeping medication to give her the best possible sleep during the night.

After 5 years of treatment my wife woke up every morning like a zombie, with terrible mood swings and feeling really depressed with only a couple of hours a day feeling reasonable active.

She started using CBD oil (hemp oil with only cannabinoids in with, no THC) a couple of weeks ago.

Result: very good sleep, awakes very well, very good mood, no more medication (she took 6 pills a day). She feels so much better, is active again. It's an absolute miracle!!!

Go and try CBD OIL. As we live in Belgium we can buy it legal in the Netherlands with a very stable and good quality.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
that's not true

Drugs do not work in opposite ways on children and adults.

nothing affects everyone the same. my oldest was on Adderal, & could not function, fell asleep in class, riding on the bus etc. i drove from Chattanooga to Louisiana on one of them without blinking, OR shutting up. :) talked to my wife for over 2 hours before i realized she was asleep (or bored to tears, LOL!) :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts