What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canadian Seedbank wants to invade Nepal with their seeds

andl

people lost their minds because of potency is equal to high % of cannabinoid levels mostly delt9thc thcva, cbg, and cbd.....

plants which are grown in a special location (environment), customized over thousand of years, perfectly adjusted for natural environment, which has (nepalese temple balls) the maybe most unique highs in the world (psychedelic, trippy, not able to put into words) will be IMPROVED by some canadian genetics.... now you get the joke right ? :D
ridicolus

infected is the better word

NEED 4 SEED

is this a catch question?

edit i mean you will be right about what they do or want to do but you think they IMPROVE things lol

I never said I believe that they improve things. You didn't get my post. I actually believe the contrary. This is a quotation from the text I found. Somebody wrote it but it is unclear if that person is affiliated with that seed bank. And it is not me!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
The whole idea of this seedbank, or who ever they are just disgusts me..

I really hope that for any reason, that this doesn't happen..

I have already personally witnessed what happened in Jamaica..

On my first two long trips there in '72 and '73, I smoked amazing, mind soaring sativas with the rastafarians I stayed with way back in the hill country..
By my 3rd trip there in '82, the ganja was changing for the worse..
The good stuff was still there in parts of the island, but not in Negril or Montego Bay...

By my last trip there in 1994, the weed was shit....
All a bunch of Indica couchlock crap...
Not a mind soaring, psychedelic sativa to be found...

andl

I never said I believe that they improve things. You didn't get my post. I actually believe the contrary. This is a quotation from the text I found. Somebody wrote it but it is unclear if that person is affiliated with that seed bank. And it is not me!

sorry for misinterpret your attitude but just look at the post above from

bud green (signed and adviced)

there are a lot of people now trying to get the old landraces back and cross those hybrids back as possible....

POINT

i know there is some heteroisis effect which contribute both plants to make a special hybrid and i do like that also but you also have to keep these old landreces clean and dont infect them or imnprove them at least not in their area this will take decades or more to acclimate such plants in those unconditioned environment.

and they re already GREAT so...

like we say in computing "never change a perfect running system" nature perfected that... long before man exists.

we will some time be able to correct or improve but still now we make more damage than doin' any good (human kindred are like kids in young age, wtf whatever i m stoned ^^)

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
You can find in Nepal unique terpene chemotypes varieties as this paper shows.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ties_of_Wild-Grown_Cannabis_sativa_from_Nepal

This will be destroyed when you're gonna introduce western genetics, although its already happening in Manali.

therealseedcompany
Parvati, 2018: Hybrid contamination is strongly suggested by this shade leaf. Compare the shape of the leaves in the next three photos, which show authentic Himalayan landraces.
Be extremely skeptical of any claims that there are pure landraces left in Parvati or Kullu valleys. Cannabis pollen travels far. And cannabis produces pollen in huge quantities. Commercial cannabis breeding in Canada and the EU requires isolation distances of 5km. Cannabis pollen has been recorded traveling up to 300km.

Attachments

• 20190304_120819.jpg
    20190304_120819.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 19

EvergreenState

Just more greedy fucks trying to take over a market. And who says the native pot is 60% weaker, the Canadians? It's all a smoke screen story to justify moving in and taking over a market. Take your zombie seeds elsewhere.
Besides pot is not about potency. It's about the experience a strain gives you. Always look for the best experience. Don't be nerds chasing statistics. When you see one strain has 15% thc and one has 27%, ask the budtender which one gives you the best experience. My bet is they won't know what to say. I just smoked some 27% thc pot and the experience was terrible. Boring, boring pot.

ahortator

Veteran
Another Strain Raiders company spreading their shitty seeds. It seems stupidness is spreading across the world along indoor bred BLD Hindu Kush hybrids pollution. They are turning an hallucinogenic psychedelic plant into something tiresome and boring.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
I notice they have packs of DJ Shorts gear going for $160 a pack. Nepalese farmers lining up to buy their strains at those prices? That'll be the day. Were I running the company I'd be lining up to buy seeds from the Nepalese farmers. I wonder how many kilos of seed they could get for $160 American!

Nepal will never end up like Morocco, it's not a good comparison. Morocco doesn't have the huge number of wild and feral plants or the ancient tradition of hashish making Nepal has. Morocco's native strain, their Kif plant, really is a terrible plant for hashish making. Very small glands, very little resin per plant. The Moroccans had a tradition of smoking it mixed with tobacco or mint. The hashish production never was for native Moroccans it was for export to Europe.

In the 90's Moroccan hashish was crappy. It was 'common knowledge', I'd hear stoners say, that hashish is all right for a day or two but then it doesn't get you high anymore. Then you have to go back to smoking green bud. This is ridiculous but it's true of the old Moroccan hashish. I doubt it's missed in the places it was the dominate smoke, for instance Ireland.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Somebody needs to communicate to the native peoples in these traditional landrace cultivating areas that they should save some of their best seed every year, just in case folks like this seed bank come in and ruin a crop.

It wouldn't be difficult to WEED out the hybrids, so long as the parent stock is vastly different from the landrace specimens.

I'm pretty sure there are master growers in each village that are in charge of gathering and selecting the best plants for the next seasons harvest. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere like an R.C.C. history book.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
you know what i was in amsterdam 16-19th december 2018 you cant find really good hash anymore always only pollen

May I ask what is the difference between hash and pollen for you? I hope I can make it up there a few days next June if my mom's health allows it, been browsing the menus and good hash seems to be still around. More and more "fake moroccan" made from commercial strains though...

and they claimed their cali genetics (just flowers!) like all those cookies-sherbert-kush crosses were at 35€/1gram WTF i smelled and checken and asked why you sell this forn that price (didnt look/smell bad at all)
he said we directly import in from cali growers....

THe latest rip-off trend indeed! And 35e/gr is on the low scale, some are way more than that. And to think there are people who will buy, I mean, come on!

people lost their minds because of potency is equal to high % of cannabinoid levels mostly delt9thc thcva, cbg, and cbd.....

Actually, and very personnally I think that it is kinda more subtle than that. Of course, generally the more thc , the more potent and in all logics you can expect a 20%thc weed to be more potent than a 15% weed.
But putting aside the subjectivity of our own personnal and individual chemistries and tastes (which affect the said potency in their own and certain ways), I think that the "effective potency" comes from the ratios of the different cannabinoids and also non-cannabinoid terpenes, so in the case of someone having build up some tolerance to some MJ or hash it doesn't require a product with more THC to get the desired effect, but just something different, with different ratios of cannabinoids and non-cannabinoids terpenes.

But that's not the subject here... ;)

therealseedcompany
Parvati, 2018: Hybrid contamination is strongly suggested by this shade leaf. Compare the shape of the leaves in the next three photos, which show authentic Himalayan landraces.
Be extremely skeptical of any claims that there are pure landraces left in Parvati or Kullu valleys. Cannabis pollen travels far. And cannabis produces pollen in huge quantities. Commercial cannabis breeding in Canada and the EU requires isolation distances of 5km. Cannabis pollen has been recorded traveling up to 300km.

And even more than 300km, in SPain there are seasonnal problems of allergy to pollen coming from Morocco, and If I remember correctly that ssame Rifan pollen manages to reach the Caribbean arc or US Florida, which wouldn't be surprising since the Amazon forest feeds on dust blown accross the Atlantic from the Sahara.

I remember in the days of my first journey in Parvati, there was some guy, Dutch I think, who would pend his life betwwen NL and Parvati/Malana area and he had brought back some N seeds to grow there, Greenhouse stuff if I remember. I don't get it, how can you pend part of your life there and still feel the need to "better" what the locals have, and doind so risking to actually ruin what they have. So freaking disrespectful...

I remember when we walked up to Kutlan we stumbled upon fuelds which didn't look like local plants. Those were under the management of some Italian "network" were we told.
Not necessarily linked to fireign networks, there are also seasonal workers, coming from Western Nepal, to tend the fields and do the rubbing work. Genetics from their homeland certainly travel with them.

As for the pollen contamination in Parvati area, I haven't been there in a decade so I don't really now, I'm speculating here, but I think that the pollen up there travels on a very limited distance, first and foremost beaue of the moosoon which drenches everything. Where there's pollen in abundance, there usually are allergies and as far as I know they don't have this problem in this area. Again, I haven't been t here in awhile, so... But yea, definitely this leaf isn't a sign for rejoycing...

Besides pot is not about potency. It's about the experience a strain gives you. Always look for the best experience. Don't be nerds chasing statistics. When you see one strain has 15% thc and one has 27%, ask the budtender which one gives you the best experience. My bet is they won't know what to say. I just smoked some 27% thc pot and the experience was terrible. Boring, boring pot.

Exactly! It's so much more than a percentage and also how "educated" is one's brain to the variety of effects.

Nepal will never end up like Morocco, it's not a good comparison. Morocco doesn't have the huge number of wild and feral plants or the ancient tradition of hashish making Nepal has.

Maybe, but it changes nothing to the fact that introducing commercial western genes is a bad idea.

The Moroccans had a tradition of smoking it mixed with tobacco or mint. The hashish production never was for native Moroccans it was for export to Europe.

Indeed, chopped weed mixed with black tobacco is the traditionnal use. I'd love to give a try!

In the 90's Moroccan hashish was crappy. It was 'common knowledge', I'd hear stoners say, that hashish is all right for a day or two but then it doesn't get you high anymore. Then you have to go back to smoking green bud. This is ridiculous but it's true of the old Moroccan hashish. I doubt it's missed in the places it was the dominate smoke, for instance Ireland.

I don't agree here, there was some real good hash to be found in the 90s, but it wasn't easy to get that's for sure. But yeah, otherwise the 90s were the decade of the soapbar, the lowest quality, or rather the worst, was called even "Chernobyl" here in France, baaaahaha ! Chernobyl...

Somebody needs to communicate to the native peoples in these traditional landrace cultivating areas that they should save some of their best seed every year, just in case folks like this seed bank come in and ruin a crop.

Awareness is growing. Wasn't it the Strain Hunters guys who almost got lynched by a mob in Congo while trying to get local genetics?

Irie! :wave:

ahortator

Veteran
It is really boring to travel far away to even a dangerous country to find they are growing under tropical sun the same dwarf garbage you must grow indoor because electricity price and draconian prohibition don't allow you growing something more decent.

As far as I can understand the mob in Congo was angry because they wanted money for their plants and seeds. Not because they knew their landrace will be wiped out by hybridization. Anyway it was funny to watch all those arrogant stupids in a moderately dangerous situation.

The problem is whatever they grow people buy and smoke it. None reject hybrids and claim their true original weed as a quality product. In fact it is even the opossite.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
It is really boring to travel far away to even a dangerous country to find they are growing under tropical sun the same dwarf garbage you must grow indoor because electricity price and draconian prohibition don't allow you growing something more decent.

Tell me about it... On my second journey in Chitral I went again to Kalash Rumbur valley and we actually pushed up to a Nuristani village close to the border. Up there I was glad to see some young indica plants growing (small personnal crop) until my guide told me that those where from seeds that some Canadian (...) guy had brought in few years before (damn I had forgotten about that one...). I was as pissed as disappointed, walking and even climbing to eventually stumble upon THAT!! At least the view was beautifull, but damn!

As far as I can understand the mob in Congo was angry because they wanted money for their plants and seeds. Not because they knew their landrace will be wiped out by hybridization. Anyway it was funny to watch all those arrogant stupids in a moderately dangerous situation.

Oh ok, that leaves some doors open I guess then, eh? ;)

Irie! :wave: