What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canadian Seedbank wants to invade Nepal with their seeds

smilley

Veteran
So true about Morocco, do you have any reference about South East Asia? Which countries would that be ? I guess Cambodia is part of it with its legal commercial scene?

Irie!

Not much but it's just a tool used by corrupt Governments to enforce their wills. China, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar, Korea etc. Anywhere that it's legal has been infiltrated by big money and stupid people. I just don't believe that land race strains are the Holy Grail.

LostTribe

Premium user
WTF? Someone needs to find the people behind true north seeds and give them a swift kick in the junk.

Everyone here should email them and tell them we are boycotting them. Not like anyone here would ever run their BS anyway.

J-Icky

I can understand both sides of this. On one hand we all want to see landraces remain pure and untouched so we can not only enjoy them but have them available for future breeding and the overall health of the future genetics of cannabis.
On the other hand these poor farmers could greatly benefit from changing away from their low producing less potent landraces to heavier producing, more potent strains.

Honestly I’d prefer if we as a community could come together and form “teams” that could go out to these landrace locales and instead of giving them new genetics, teach them to breed what they have into better plants. But this would require time and money and organization that I honestly don’t think will ever happen.

Our best bet would be to fund our own seed vault that could be used liked the ones governments use to ensure that in the event of a disaster that seeds would be available after. This would only require sending a small team out to different areas to collect kilos of seed and then those placed in the cryogenic vault. Then say every decade you take half the original seeds and grow them as an open pollination to ensure there are fresh seeds along with the originals to make ensure viability.
This bank could also be used as a source for breeders who could purchase either the originals or the reproductions and that could be used as the primary source of funding along with donations to keep the vault up and running. The only real issue would be making sure the seeds were priced high enough so that only serious growers and breeders would buy them and not deplete the vault but also keep the prices low enough that people would actually use the vault and keep enough income to keep it up and running.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
On the other hand these poor farmers could greatly benefit from changing away from their low producing less potent landraces to heavier producing, more potent strains.

With mold issues as result during harvest time and no income for the coming years and genetic pollution.

To increase their income its better to help them with selection of their varieties for better potentie and send the seeds to the west instead of the otherway.

NEED 4 SEED

This is exactly the kind of western thinking, that all the strains there are imperfect and need to be "modernized". But the crops these farmers are growing are acclimatized and perfect for their needs. The plants in Nepal aren't specialized like our modern strains. Instead the crops in seeds for food, flower for drugs and stalks for fiber are all harvested from one plant. This must have it's advantages or they wouldn't do it this way.

I have no clue whether this text was written by the TNS bank themselves or by some random internet guy. That's why I posted it here to get some voices from someone who knows more etc...

I also don't know what's wrong with the term "invade", since canadian companies use their legality monopol to grab all they can on the burgeoning international medical cannabis markets to buy in in everything they can. And I don't like it!

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just don't believe that land race strains are the Holy Grail.
And so you don't see the point at keeping them alive and unhybridized in their natural habitat...

One day all those polyhybrid might suffer from an illness and landraces accession will be the only hope to save the modern crop from failure...you can't do that if everybody around the world grow "skunk"...

Just look at colombian cash cropers who need to supplement extra lightning to grow the modern stuff while their land is adapted to tropical sativa perfectly...ain't that a nonsense?

cr0n

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greenhouse was doing this sort of thing in the past too. It seems as though most landrace populations are being tainted. A shame really.

mr.brunch

Veteran
From what I’m reading this is widespread in Morocco as well.. traditional plants are being replaced by higher yielding/stronger/higher resin producing plants.
Also can be seen on Amsterdam coffee shop menus... Amsterdam genetics hash, grown in Morocco

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I can understand both sides of this. On one hand we all want to see landraces remain pure and untouched so we can not only enjoy them but have them available for future breeding and the overall health of the future genetics of cannabis.

Honestly I’d prefer if we as a community could come together and form “teams” that could go out to these landrace locales and instead of giving them new genetics, teach them to breed what they have into better plants. But this would require time and money and organization that I honestly don’t think will ever happen.

Our best bet would be to fund our own seed vault that could be used liked the ones governments use to ensure that in the event of a disaster that seeds would be available after. This would only require sending a small team out to different areas to collect kilos of seed and then those placed in the cryogenic vault. Then say every decade you take half the original seeds and grow them as an open pollination to ensure there are fresh seeds along with the originals to make ensure viability.
This bank could also be used as a source for breeders who could purchase either the originals or the reproductions and that could be used as the primary source of funding along with donations to keep the vault up and running. The only real issue would be making sure the seeds were priced high enough so that only serious growers and breeders would buy them and not deplete the vault but also keep the prices low enough that people would actually use the vault and keep enough income to keep it up and running.

Teach them how to breed the best of what they already have. And if seeds are shared make sure they understand the value in preserving their unique genepool.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings & Love everyone! :wave:

Alright, now that I have cooled down... ;)

I just don't believe that land race strains are the Holy Grail

Hmm, an obvious case of two worlds colliding I guess... There is no such thing as a "Holy Grail"! We're not talking about gr per watt, watt per sq/m, number of weeks or any other factor that have led to this concept (C99 being the one strain I've mot seen labelled a being such), this is not about standardized, idealized indoor growing we're talking about, nope, it's about the great outdoor, it's about the land that feeds the plant, it's about the people who have a cultural, if not spiritual, connection with the plant, established generations ago, it's about identity & traditions, again, it's about culture.

In Malawi, buds are dried and cured bundled in corn leaves and buried underground, in Kerala the corn leaves are replaced by bamboo stalks, the whole thing buried in the sand until in turns into some potent black gooh, in upper Chitral valleys during winter time there' s a guy who goes from village to village, bringing with him a large stone mortar under which a fire is lit to heat the tone enough so as to cook the crude resin which is then pounded into some mightily potent charas, in the tribal areas they like to cure the garda (unpressed resin) in goat skins, the fat of which imbues the resin with musky, animal flavours, in Kashmir the unpressed resin is actually STEAMED before being twisted and pressed in corn leaves, producing the most beautiful hash in the world with effect that can rival the best hazes, in the Mongol Altaï, buddhist monks grow some quite potent indica for spiritual purposes, some tribes in Costa Rica use it during their shamanic rituals, in Euatorial Africa it's used a very lot for veterinary purposes, and so on, and so on, and so on, the list is just endless!

Which one is the best? Which one is the "Holy Grail"? Which one needs improvement?? None I guess...

Also, I think those guy are of the MJ growing culture while in Nepal, except for lowland Teraï where giant astivas are grown, this is charas culture, which makes their idea/plan evenmore nonsensical!

On one hand we all want to see landraces remain pure and untouched so we can not only enjoy them but have them available for future breeding and the overall health of the future genetics of cannabis.

Hmmyeah, that... And also the fact that all its diversity, and the diversity of uses by different cultures, is what makes it truly interesting. Don't forget the people! And if everyone starts to grow Amnesia Haze all around the world, well, that's freaking hell on earth !

If farmers are poor it' motly because they can't legally grow and sell, not because of their local genepool.
Aslso, this is what happened in Morocco. Looks like most of their production nowadays is from imported genetics, a whole shitload of it and quite large selection of strains. Those are definitely producing larger quantities of resin than the local kif, larger plants, bigger buds and more resinous, here in my hometown we are swamped by this stuff and it can be really really good. These days I have a light yellow, very poorly pressed (crumbles to the touch) with strong flavours and potent sativa effect, kinda reminding of some A.Haze, really good stuff, but I'll take any bledia over it, because however good and potent it is, well, it has no story to tell, it has no identity, no culture. Just a mass-produced product which does its job for sure, but remain "empty" in the end.

Morocco is one of the examples of what not to do when legalization comes, the only reason they profit from it at the moment is because it's illegal. Those countries who won't be able to preserve their own patrimony will just kill the golden geese.

I'm pretty ure that there are techniques that can be shared so as to improve a couple of factors, but for the most part I do think that the locals know their plants.

I remember a jungli charas I scored in Naggar, made by an old lady from nearby Rumsu who, was I told, was the only one who knew which plants to select for rubbing and indeed, in a land of psychedelic sativas she could turn up a charas which was absolutely devastating, total day killer. Wake and bake with this one and your day is over, can't move or do anything, haha! that one was crazy...
Another one jungli, again from a last-of-his-kind-old timer, all apple flavoured and highly psychedelic, wish I had scored more of that one...

Last time I was there I was offered some seeds by my friend in Naggar, those were given to him by some of his shepherd buddies from Malana, seeds specially selected from wild plants for commercial growing.

All that to say, again, that for the most part the people know their plant, and maybe better than what we like to think about ourselves might I add...

I also don't know what's wrong with the term "invade", since canadian companies use their legality monopol to grab all they can on the burgeoning international medical cannabis markets to buy in in everything they can. And I don't like it!

You bet! Indeed those canadian corps are up to no good, at all, predatory behaviour full on. Those people have the power to turn legalization into a disaster...

Our best bet would be to fund our own seed vault that could be used liked the ones governments use to ensure that in the event of a disaster that seeds would be available after.

The disaster is coming, as for the after, no garantee there will be one...

The plants in Nepal aren't specialized like our modern strains. Instead the crops in seeds for food, flower for drugs and stalks for fiber are all harvested from one plant. This must have it's advantages or they wouldn't do it this way.

Exactly!

Just look at colombian cash cropers who need to supplement extra lightning to grow the modern stuff while their land is adapted to tropical sativa perfectly...ain't that a nonsense?

Nonsense? I'd rather say sheer insanity! Du grand n'importe quoi ! ah bah ça fait nonsense en anglais, haha ! ;p

From what I’m reading this is widespread in Morocco as well.. traditional plants are being replaced by higher yielding/stronger/higher resin producing plants.
Also can be seen on Amsterdam coffee shop menus... Amsterdam genetics hash, grown in Morocco

Exactly, I wish I could score any genuine "Double Zero" next time I visit, that might be a challenge!

Irie! :wave:

NEED 4 SEED

Hey Mriko, you put all my thoughts and words into your post and a lot more, there's nothing I can say more than that.

Regarding moroccan modern hash, a few years ago a friend brought some morroccan. Nice and soft brown hash, a very nice smell, like cinnamon and other stuff, nothing that was like the morroccan I was smoking before. You had the feeling someone took a modern hybrid to Morrocco and grew it there and imported it back to Europe. It sure did it's job but lacked depth and spirit, probably for that exact reason...I still have it, lying in a drawer since then.

andl

Hey friends, the 2nd time now I've been stumbling across this "paper" of a Canadian Seedbank called "True North Seedbank" while googling around about cannabis in Nepal.

They want to export their seeds to Nepal to rival the native strains.

"...The main competition for the seeds that are shipped from the True North Seed Bank will be the seeds from cannabis plants that are already grown in Nepal. The Canadian plants should have superior genetics and should be more potent than the Nepalese cannabis, giving it a place on the
market in Nepal. The cannabis in Nepal before in was made illegal was sixty percent less potent
than the cannabis in North America today, so if that has stayed the same than the Canadian
product should be of higher quality....".

https://saknepal.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Potential-export-idea-of-Canadian-Cannabis-seeds-to-Nepal.pdf

What do you think of this?

:laughing:

hahahahaha

*no comment*

best joke i read today

andl

Amsterdam genetics is the name of the company, growing in Morocco...
https://www.leafly.com/news/lifestyle/meet-woman-reinventing-dutch-coffeeshops

you know what i was in amsterdam 16-19th december 2018 you cant find really good hash anymore always only pollen, well they charge you just 12-15€ (and its not bad at all) a gram but i was lost when i want to buy someserious ice-o-later i found a shop 75€ a gram WTF lol

and they claimed their cali genetics (just flowers!) like all those cookies-sherbert-kush crosses were at 35€/1gram WTF i smelled and checken and asked why you sell this forn that price (didnt look/smell bad at all)
he said we directly import in from cali growers....

LOL they just bought some cali seeds made their plants in netherlands and sell it for twice or double price forget it....

when i remember you got an mexican haze 1g best stuff for the morning for just 10-12€ now you pay 15€ for any cheese whaterver seedbank...

i had some ice-o-lator has for 30€ years ao it looked like pollen crystals and everytime you smokedit you swear by yourself you will never do it again and 1 hour later you smoked another but you got so wasted man

this was some shit in mellow yellow (cofeeshop) i dunno if it even exists anymore some K2 or Killimanscharo i dont know anymore its lots of years ago....

andl

people lost their minds because of potency is equal to high % of cannabinoid levels mostly delt9thc thcva, cbg, and cbd.....

Latest posts

Latest posts