What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dropping a dime on a fellow grower.

G

Touchy subject. For non legal growers in non legal areas or countries have you ever had or worried someone who mistakenly found your secret were going to drop a dime on you?

I have been growing for about 3-4 years. Id have to look at my old calender's to be sure but thats not important. In that time I only know of 2 people who inadvertently found out I grow by being in my house and I had screwed up and left a door open. They both smoke and are cool and a couple. I had passed on some of my stash as freebies to them before. Water under the bridge and I trust them. But people even friends get stoned or drunk and shit slips. I recently found out someone else I know may or may not grow which I dont care but this person is like a Lex Luther (or pick an asshole or your choice) to me. Absolute dislike. There is a connection between all parties which makes me wonder if the talk goes both ways.

Point being is there as the old saying goes honor among thieves?

I dont care how much I disagree or dislike someone for who they are so long as they are not telling a woman in the basement pit to put the lotion on I would never pull that shit.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Tough spot to be in. Rule one don't tell anyone ever. Best you can hope is they know that you never ever rat someone out. Ever.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I would bring those people back when I had nothing growing and let them see you've stopped. Before that shit fucks your head up. Sorry bro, I know that shit can hurt! Ole school rule#1 Never tell, or #2 show anyone!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Time to pack it in. If those thoughts start creeping into your head, it can drive you to acts of paranoia. If you feel you are at risk, you are. TRUST your inner voice and find a new spot. I'd move to a new county if possible or completely alter my entire routine and where I engage people publicly. New hobbies and new hangouts. Time to get ghost.

If you can't trust yourself, who can you trust?

dank.Frank

insomniac_AU

Sorry to hear. Really you are the only one who can assess the risk. We don't know these people but TBH it sounds like you have only known them for a few years which is nothing. If you never would have told them if you had a choice I'd be worried.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have said for many years that to do our thing correctly especially in countries that are not
legal yet then it has to be a very lonely job with virtually nobody knowing about your work,,
Unfortunately “ loose lips sink ships” and not forgetting ,,,out of control egos ,,
people can be there own worst enemies,,
Trust your instincts OP,,,,,you have a lot of good solid advice in this thread.
It’s up to you to use it,
Honour amongst theives? Maybe if ya “ old Skool” and above 40 years old but today then no honour as it’s all about the $$$$

Keep safe and well',,, ,944s2

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have said for many years that to do our thing correctly especially in countries that are not
legal yet then it has to be a very lonely job with virtually nobody knowing about your work,,
Unfortunately “ loose lips sink ships” and not forgetting ,,,out of control egos ,,
Honour amongst theives? Maybe if ya “ old Skool” and above 40 years old but today then no honour as it’s all about the $$$$

So true! Me, myself and I :(

Spaventa

Veteran
So basically you are worried that the couple will tell Lex you grow? The couple already know you grow right? so just level with them. Tell them it’s medicinal for something and you need their assurance that NOBODY, not even other growers or mutual friends... will learn about it from them. That’s what I would do.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
So basically you are worried that the couple will tell Lex you grow? The couple already know you grow right? so just level with them. Tell them it’s medicinal for something and you need their assurance that NOBODY, not even other growers or mutual friends... will learn about it from them. That’s what I would do.

Something that should've been done the day they discovered he grows. Because if he didn't emphasize the importance of keeping their mouths shut then and there, they could've told all kinds of people by now, not limited to Lex.

Just ask if they've blabbed to Lex or anyone else. If they say no, be very clear that no one else is to know. If they say yes...

Sunshineinabag

Just straight truth and honesty! This is what's keeps me smiling in times of angst. Humans have that instinctual inner voice to help us avoid bad juju! Too bad you weren't closer to me! I'd help ya in a heartbeat with security! I'm of the mindset I'd like to see you percivere through this and enjoy cannabis sans paranoia! Either way if u need any insight man I'm here! I hope this works out for u buddy!

Gry

I would give serious thought to shutting down for a while. A couple of parties with the mentioned individuals invited may be appropriate.

Spaventa

Veteran
I remember a story in the paper years ago about a fella who became convinced his neighbours knew about him growing. He went to them and offered them money to keep quiet. They didn’t have a clue what he was on about and called the police.
The moral of the story, for me at least, was don’t let paranoia get the better of you. His belief that they knew became a self fulfilling prophecy.
I’ve got to thinking people might have discovered my hobby. I just worry for a week or two and then decide it was paranoia. Worked for me so far.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I recently had to let a friend know that I grow so that he could come and help me harvest, as I was in the middle of being served divorce papers and being kicked out of my house, and time was of the essence. I'm now going through a whole theatrical song and dance with him about how I will no longer be growing because I live in an apartment now, and it's only a one bedroom, and my daughter will be living part time with me, and I've been wanting to quit smoking for a long time anyway, so I'm letting this situation be a catalyst for that, and on and on and so on and so forth.

I can't smoke with him anymore, which sucks, but he seems to believe me (I can be convincing, frankly :biggrin:). I expect this will be a long-running performance, though, and that sucks too. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Also, I am now unable to grow the way I used to, using an entire room, dedicated air conditioner and so forth, so I've had to return to micro gardening for the time being. Eventually, I expect I will be able to smoke with my boy again, but I'm going to ask him to accompany me to a dispensary first, so that I can conclude my performance with a retail purchase, hoping to convince him that if I was growing, why would I be buying weed from a dispensary? I think this will work.

Anyway, all I'm saying here is that it can be done, you can recover from this situation, but it will require a lot of vigilant theatrics, and it has to be calculated. Best wishes to you.

G

It’s been long enough that if he was going to he probably would have and I’m not 100% sure he even knows. I may be over thinking it. I need to point blank as the friend who accidentally discovered my grow. I trust him and he also benefits from my grows with some free stuff. Because he is a friend not because he knows.

Spaventa

Veteran
If there’s an issue with him potentially dropping you in shit, WHY is he “your boy” and why would you want to smoke with him?? If someone seems like a security risk, they aren’t friend material imo.
I recently had to let a friend know that I grow so that he could come and help me harvest, as I was in the middle of being served divorce papers and being kicked out of my house, and time was of the essence. I'm now going through a whole theatrical song and dance with him about how I will no longer be growing because I live in an apartment now, and it's only a one bedroom, and my daughter will be living part time with me, and I've been wanting to quit smoking for a long time anyway, so I'm letting this situation be a catalyst for that, and on and on and so on and so forth.

I can't smoke with him anymore, which sucks, but he seems to believe me (I can be convincing, frankly :biggrin:). I expect this will be a long-running performance, though, and that sucks too. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Also, I am now unable to grow the way I used to, using an entire room, dedicated air conditioner and so forth, so I've had to return to micro gardening for the time being. Eventually, I expect I will be able to smoke with my boy again, but I'm going to ask him to accompany me to a dispensary first, so that I can conclude my performance with a retail purchase, hoping to convince him that if I was growing, why would I be buying weed from a dispensary? I think this will work.

Anyway, all I'm saying here is that it can be done, you can recover from this situation, but it will require a lot of vigilant theatrics, and it has to be calculated. Best wishes to you.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
If there’s an issue with him potentially dropping you in shit, WHY is he “your boy” and why would you want to smoke with him?? If someone seems like a security risk, they aren’t friend material imo.

I think you might have misinterpreted my post, bud. :tiphat:

G

It’s not my friend that accidentally walked into my grow that concerns me, but I need to point blank ask him if possibly slipped and told this other person. It’s a mutual acquaintance that I don’t get along with. That’s the person who may know but have heard he may be a closet grower himself. I’m going to tell my friend that I stopped growing and I have enough put away to last me a year. I may actually take a break after this harvest in about 4 weeks but I will keep my bonsai moms which I can put someplace he won’t ever see.

G

Something that should've been done the day they discovered he grows. Because if he didn't emphasize the importance of keeping their mouths shut then and there, they could've told all kinds of people by now, not limited to Lex.

Just ask if they've blabbed to Lex or anyone else. If they say no, be very clear that no one else is to know. If they say yes...
Oh we had that conversation about 5 seconds after they accidentally discovered it. Known them many years and trust them and we are all over 40 and they understand the possibilities. But people slip sometimes.