What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Base of Screw in Bulb is Stuck in the Socket

St. Phatty

On one of my light panels the plastic part came off leaving the base in the socket.

It doesn't light even though it's hard wired to the other lights.

How do you get the base out when there's virtually nothing to grab on to ?

I was going to jam some needle-nose pliars into the base part, with power off, and twist it.

It's being slightly ornary for a little broken electronic part.

Worst case is I can cut the wires to the socket with the broken bulb base, and wrench the socket off the light panel (it's glued on).

It was one of those little grow room technical problems I was ignorring because the light on the broken bulb was working.

Anyway I figure I'm only about the millionth person to have this happen to.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have used pliars by inserting closed needle nose in to unplugged socket. Then open pliars so they are pushing against insides and turn the whole thing.

If there is glass left you can try the carrot or potato trick

iTarzan

When you break a bulb off and the metal base can't be grabbed to turn it oyt you can use a potato. You jam the potato on there and screw out the base. You can also use clay or play-doh.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
So your talking about the 27mm threaded tubular bit? It's usually very thin metal. So a tiny screwdriver can bend it in, away from the sockets wall. Soon as you have a gap, you can switch to a bigger driver. You will soon have enough to get hold of with some grips.

Some WD40 might not be a bad idea.

G

Or if your a tool guy a pair of piston ring pliers or snap ring pliers work and won’t leave potato juices on the fixture

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I had a mid 40s immigrant gas man attend with a wooden tool box recently. I pulled out an antique screwdriver from my own spares collection as I could see it completed his set. I bet he had a potato in there somewhere.

There are some things you just can't let a customer see.

Drop That Sound

Whats the actual term for that part anyway?

Ive noticed how cheaply the great value ones that we have are, they sure do pop off easy. One of the bulbs I have installed in the house already appeared to burn out after a week, but wiggling it a bit seems to make it turn back on. Hoping its just the connection.

I was freaked out a bit considering ive bought over 100 bulbs so far for my SIL project, thinking the driver already burned out.

Have to hold off on that project for another month or so now (have a gaurdian ad litem on my court case coming to the house at some point and packed everything away), but ill be undoing the "threaded base electrodes?" On every bulb anyway, and wiring straight to the drivers with wire nuts..

Have you had any other problems with the new GV's besides one braking off in a socket?

Medfinder

Chemon 91
On one of my light panels the plastic part came off leaving the base in the socket.

It doesn't light even though it's hard wired to the other lights.

How do you get the base out when there's virtually nothing to grab on to ?

I was going to jam some needle-nose pliars into the base part, with power off, and twist it.

It's being slightly ornary for a little broken electronic part.

Worst case is I can cut the wires to the socket with the broken bulb base, and wrench the socket off the light panel (it's glued on).

It was one of those little grow room technical problems I was ignorring because the light on the broken bulb was working.

Anyway I figure I'm only about the millionth person to have this happen to.
Cut an carrot and but it in the socket...to remove the broken base..make sure no power is on base...Google this technique

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
lots of good techniques here, for getting the base of a broken bulb out of the socket...

To be absolutely safe when doing this, PLEASE don't just turn the switch off, unplug the lamp or flip off the breaker!

Also, before I screw in a new bulb into any lamp, I always spray WD-40, or equivalent, on the bulb socket, and wipe the excess off with a rag.

And don't screw the bulb in really tight! Once the bulb is snug and not wiggling, it's usually tight enough..

Latest posts

Latest posts