What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

KHL 2018-2019

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
U'r really following KHL pre-season in Michigan?
Hockey fan much? :D

Jokerit is my ex-home town team, so naturally I'm pulling for them. Not expecting much this season tho, they got this guy Marjamäki as head coach.. He's not very good.

I'm doing my best to keep up :smokeit:

Ur from Helsinki? That's awesome--pleased to meet u. I've seen a couple clips of Jokerit's arena & it's lit.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Yep, born and raised. Then after I got some money, I was outta there! :D

Tell you the truth, I preferred the old arena more. Back in the day before Jokerit became popular, they used to play in the Helsinki Ice Hall aka DDR-Arena. Way smaller and very old skool cause it was built in the 60's. Versus the newer Hartwall Arena that was finished 1997.

Sure the production values went up, and they raised the capacity from 8,200 to 13,000+. And the new arena has fancy restaurants and VIP-booths and all that modern humbug. But it also kinda got corporate and too flashy. I guess that's to be expected when you get paid and want to move forward, but it lost a lot of charm and edge. Not to mention Jokerit, before the move to the new arena was pretty much a working class team from suburban Helsinki, going against HIFK, the other big Helsinki team. Which has it's roots in the actual city, and leans towards Swedish speaking Finns. Those local derby matches were always highlight matches of any season. Regardless of who won the actual championship. Then Jokerit moved to KHL and killed that off for good.. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted :)

Not to be all negative; KHL hockey is way more entertaining and the teams there have better quality players vs. the old Finnish league.

For shits and giggles, here's my old sig:

HOCKEY! :tiphat:

Love the signature ���� looks like they still have concerts at the Helsinki Ice Hall--sounds like a great venue, hope I get to experience it some day

Da, KHL is a great alternative to the NHL. Players don't make as much money, but that's ok.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Yep, NHL is way ahead of other hockey leagues. Top guys, top teams, top salaries.
KHL is a distant second. Finnish league was once hailed as 2nd best after NHL, but that was years ago. Used to be that NHL drafted and signed our best young players, guys that didn't quite measure up to NHL standards were star players in Finnish teams. These days NHL still takes the cream of the crop, KHL signs the leftovers and local teams here get their table scraps. Swiss national hockey league also signs a few guys every year. From what I understand, they pay good money there. Their league is a bit uneven with rich teams dominating tho. Still, can't blame the players for going after better salaries, hockey careers don't last that long.. Unless u'r Teemu Selänne or Chris Chelios or something :)

Or a lucky fucker like that guy Ville Leino who signed a 6-year contract with the Sabres, then got to sit at home doing nothing and still got paid like a mil per year after they realised he kinda sucks and bought his contract out. Remember that guy? I think he played for the Red Wings for a while, too. That fucking guy.. Man..
He's now retired from hockey and is a clothes designer, and he sucks at that too.

https://moranalytics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Leino-e1494963022196.png

Here's one of his works of "art" that was turned into a hoodie. It be fine if it was a design by some 5 year old who grew up in a crack house or something. But a grown up man, damn! Not only a bad design, but he said in an interview that this design reflects his time and contract with the Sabres, comparing it to a jail. Shows what he knows. Shame too, he had talent, but was too lazy to really shine. Didn't help he got that guaranteed contract money either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-KXrkVoIIA

But I digress and ramble. Also it's way past my bed time, so I'm out :tiphat:

Distant, yes. But it has a lot of potential if it doesn't flop.

Damn, his shit's all fucked up...I'll take 5 ;) sucks that happened to him but wish I had some fkkn guaranteed contract money :bow:

You're good :angelshug: looks like I'm the only one here rn & I'm entertained :woohoo:

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Jokerit lost 5 outta their 7 pre-season games, not looking good dude :D

I bet 10 Euro dollars that head coach Marjamäki (Berryhill in English btw) won't last till Christmas 2018. Time will tell.. ;) Nothing personal against the dude, and he had some success in Finnish league back in the day. But he came to Jokerit after a stint with Finland National Hockey team, during which the team hit all (modern) time low in scoring and medals (zero), and all time high number of (especially NHL) players saying no to playing for team Finland. And also, he was at helm during Hockey World Cup 2016, which saw team Fin lose all their 3 games and score only one goal. That's pretty ass.. The team wasn't bad, mostly NHL guys with a few dudes from KHL. Coach Berryhill seems to favour slow, defensive hockey, which is not at all suitable for NHL style smaller rinks (compared to larger European style rinks), which favour fast play and passing. His idea of hockey is also very old school and dare I say kinda boring.

Jari Kurri, of Edmonton Oilers Dynasty fame, is the GM of Jokerit. Guy usually has a good eye for talent and team making, I don't know what he was thinking hiring this guy Marjamäki. I also don't know much about baseball, but the phrase "no one bats a 1000" seems to fit with this one :)

The season has begun! Today there was one game, CKA vs. Ak Bars :smoke out:

CKA won 6-1 :woohoo:

Televised Russian majorleague hockey is back--my life has meaning again :angelshug:

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Televised hockey is back--my life has meaning again :angelshug:

Hehe, that's what my most hockey crazed pal said today. I took out the words major, league and Russian, cause this guy will watch anything hockey related pretty much. Off season he watches old games, highlights, top tackle, top play, top goals etc videos on youtube and thing, reliving the moments of glory. :) He's a good hockey player in real life, too. Has the best slap shot I've seen with amateur players both in speed and accuracy. Holds, with pride, the dubious record of most broken windows of houses neighbouring our favourite outdoor rink back where I used to live in Helsinki. Almost impossible to catch on ice, and I'm not bad either for a sunday player. Dude played semi-pro for years with success, but never made it pro cause he was deemed too short and had issues with his spine. Shame, but that's life for ya.

I'm not that big of a hockey fan any more, and I have stuff to do in the summer time with guerilla growing and stuff, but fine by me.
For the love of the game, bay-bay!

:tiphat:

Please take a moment of silence today to remember the victims of the 2011 Yaroslavl Lokomotiv Air Disaster. Thank you & best regards as always.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Please take a moment of silence today to remember the victims of the 2011 Yaroslavl Lokomotiv Air Disaster. Thank you & best regards as always.

Yea, that was quite a shocker. From 37 passengers and 8 crew members, only flight engineer Aleksandr Sizov survived, obviously scarred for life and to my knowledge the guy has not set foot in an airplane after the crash..

All KHL games on friday started with a minute of silence and players wore black armbands to commemorate the dead. Also, Jokerit left 44 empty seats at the arena, one for every person lost in the accident. This was the 1st time they had KHL games on that date after the disaster.

Rest in peace.

Latest posts

Latest posts