What's new

600s or 1ks?

packerfan79

Veteran
I am starting a new build. I am building a shed for a new grow. I am thinking 2 4x8 trays. So what's better 3x600 or 2 x 1ks per 4x8s

Granger2

Veteran
A 600w does a good job of covering a 3x3 area. A 1k does a good job of covering a 4x4 area. 3 600's would not give very even coverage in a 4x8. I'd also rather have the extra 200w for a near perfect 62w/sq ft than the 56 w/sq ft of 3 600's. Good luck. -granger

packerfan79

Veteran
I have 2 600s now, so I am leaning towards the 600s. Has anyone used parabolic reflectors with 600s. I'm leaning towards a modified sog like 60 or 70 plants per 4x8.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
600s technically put out more lumes per watt than 1000s and run a bit cooler.
1000s have better penetration, but i'd go with the 600s if i was growing indoor, mang.

Speed of green

I ran (4) 600w bulbs in 1000w dimmable ballasts set to 750w for two years. Had good yields, nothing spectacular... I switched to 1000w bulbs 6 months ago and it really made a difference in yield. The 1000's really penetrate better, but if you are running a high density sog penetration probably won't be too much of an issue.

If you do go 600's I'd get 1000w ballasts and turn them down. That way you have the option to run a larger bulb later if you want.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you can handle the heat from 1k's .... then go that route . much better penetration down into the lower regions of the canopy for bigger better buds .
ran 3 600's over a 4 x 8 for years .... went to 2 1k's & doubled my yields ! no lie !
at first , i had 3 lights , a 1k on each end & a 600 in the middle ..... killer yields !!! best runs i ever had !!! but a bitch & a half to keep cool lol

packerfan79

Veteran
I just can't make up my mind. I want to make it less labor intensive than my old vertical setup. but I have no time for veg, I don't have enough electrical capacity to run ac so I have about 5 months of cool weather during fall and winter. I like the idea of sog.I ran one with 60 plants on a 4x8 tray, but it was shit yielding Bubba strain and I didn't have enough head room. plants were all in the light.

Latest posts

Latest posts