What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AC and electrical questions -snypette

WeedFairy

Hi IC fam!:wave:
It's been a minute! Hope everyone is doing well. Glad to see Gypsy back! A lot has changed since I first joined IC at around 16. Just bought my first house and I'm setting up a 4000w room. I could use some help. Links to on point threads would be appreciated.

So I am having 10 3 wire installed for a dryer outlet. The goal being to then take apart the dryer outlet and install a 4 light controller, which I have never done. Using a CAP controller without a built in timer. Threads?

I am looking online right now for window ACs .. But I have no idea how I will get the AC from my vehicle.. Inside,.. Up the stairs.. And then into the window. Lol. Any suggestions? I am far from home without any helping hands. If I have to hire someone to help me install it I will do that. But then they will be wondering why I need this beast AC:chin:

I have my card:woohoo: but my underground mentality remains in check. Hermit status.

There should be a 'welcome back' section next to the 'introduce yourself' section for all the banned members lol

:tiphat:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Hi IC fam!:wave:
It's been a minute! Hope everyone is doing well. Glad to see Gypsy back! A lot has changed since I first joined IC at around 16. Just bought my first house and I'm setting up a 4000w room. I could use some help. Links to on point threads would be appreciated.

So I am having 10 3 wire installed for a dryer outlet. The goal being to then take apart the dryer outlet and install a 4 light controller, which I have never done. Using a CAP controller without a built in timer. Threads?

I am looking online right now for window ACs .. But I have no idea how I will get the AC from my vehicle.. Inside,.. Up the stairs.. And then into the window. Lol. Any suggestions? I am far from home without any helping hands. If I have to hire someone to help me install it I will do that. But then they will be wondering why I need this beast AC:chin:

I have my card:woohoo: but my underground mentality remains in check. Hermit status.

There should be a 'welcome back' section next to the 'introduce yourself' section for all the banned members lol

:tiphat:

Buy or rent a dolly with straps to get the A.C. up the stairs. Use a 5 gal. pail or two next to the window to "take steps" up to the opened window. Or put a hook in the ceiling, and use a pulley system to raise the A.C. I work alone as well, so I fell your struggle(in a non-legal/med state).

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah they leak smell, so there goes the underground. I would get a mini split if you can swing the cheddar.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just installed a ductless air 22000 btu mini split in my sealed 4k veg. It is keeping up just fine. 1400 at home depot + 400 in installation from my HVAC guys. Complete kit, came pre charged, lots of good functions.

packerfan79

Veteran
I jerry rigged one by putting it through the closet door and putting a blower and carbon filter in the closet blowing into the attic.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey hello welcome back ;) how's the Bytch going? I'd suggest going to a rental shop and getting stuff for drying buildings. Or buying online through a discreet website with a courier that has no idea what was bought by yourself but still must deliver it upstairs :)

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/ct/heating-and-air-conditioning/commercial-air-conditioners
http://www.dehumidifiersuk.com/building-drying-dehumidifiers.html

Perhaps make a plenum box for the window that accommodates an easier to install or wheel about type fixture?

packerfan79

Veteran
Watch out for mold,i know someone who had to replace his roof/boards because of venting in attic.

That was years ago. but it got me threw. I vented it pointed towards the attic vent. I didn't have a problem. I started with very little equipment and supplies, so I learned real fast, you can get a lot of shit done without making the hydro stores rich. I am back starting over with almost nothing now, but I got a stack of cash this time. I will still probably not spend it all crazy. I am to damn cheap.

WeedFairy

Thanks for the responses! I installed the ac, i modified the inside of it ...and no light is in the room. But i wont know if you can see light outside until i have the lights running. I will cry if it leaks outside lol.

Ok so i am now trying to install the light controller. Its a mlc-4xl cap controller. I have a dryer outlet with 10-3 wire i am told. 30amp double breaker. In the controller installation instructions, it says theres a red and black wire,.. and either a green or gold. I have gold. And i have the red and black. But there is also a white wire. Do i get one of those cap things and just cap it? Or...?

Also how do i unnatatch the wires from the dryer outlet?

packerfan79

Veteran
I would cap the white wire at both ends in the outlet and in the panel , so you know how to put it back if you ever need to. Take the socket apart, wait make sure that the breaker is off before you touch anything. 220 burns real bad. you should be able to disconnect the wires from the outlet. I would put a cover on the box. I assume it's near the washer and thus water.

Last edited:

WeedFairy

So i need to disconnect the white wire from the box too? I wont ever need to revert it to the dryer. Because there is no dryer or washer or water lol. I had this put in so i could take it apart hahaha

WeedFairy

This blue box wont come out of the wall. Not sure how much extra cord or cord slack there is in the wall either. It seems i should try to push the wires back out the hole of the blue box. Anyone who sees me about to electrocute myself feel free to let me know. Main and individual breakers are off

WeedFairy

Ok i got the box out and attatched the controller to the stud of the wall. Ok so the rubber coating that holds all the wires? Orange in the pic. Does that need need to be present from the wall to the box? Because it is cut off more than 6 inches. Meaning the exposed wires are very long. I suppose ill need some special wire cutter. Google time

WeedFairy

I got the wires in the box. Now to get the wires 'connected' , do i need to unscrew the metal screws, place the wire between the back and the screw, then tighten very tightly? Is that itttt???? Ive been dreading doing this cause i thought it was gonna be out of my knowledge base.

queequeg152

Veteran
That was years ago. but it got me threw. I vented it pointed towards the attic vent. I didn't have a problem. I started with very little equipment and supplies, so I learned real fast, you can get a lot of shit done without making the hydro stores rich. I am back starting over with almost nothing now, but I got a stack of cash this time. I will still probably not spend it all crazy. I am to damn cheap.

so you are still venting into the attic space or am i mis understanding you?

if so... i hope you own this house and are not renting it.

venting hot humid air into a hot dry non sealed attic space is not the problem, its venting hot humid air into a cold dry attic.

an uninsulated attic roof deck will condense hideous amounts of moisture if you allow it.

almost all vented attics are insufficently ventilated, at least here in the south. there is simply not ehough soffit area in many homes to provide the reccomended air flows.

personally i had to special order a pricey vinyl product with continuous "hidden" ventilation just to even approach the proper ventilation numbers my house required.

even if your attic is particularly well ventilated, dumping moisture into this space when the roof is cold is a potential disaster. while you may not rot your roof deck, you could grow mold or cause ice dams or IAQ issues.

packerfan79

Veteran
so you are still venting into the attic space or am i mis understanding you?

if so... i hope you own this house and are not renting it.

venting hot humid air into a hot dry non sealed attic space is not the problem, its venting hot humid air into a cold dry attic.

an uninsulated attic roof deck will condense hideous amounts of moisture if you allow it.

almost all vented attics are insufficently ventilated, at least here in the south. there is simply not ehough soffit area in many homes to provide the reccomended air flows.

personally i had to special order a pricey vinyl product with continuous "hidden" ventilation just to even approach the proper ventilation numbers my house required.

even if your attic is particularly well ventilated, dumping moisture into this space when the roof is cold is a potential disaster. while you may not rot your roof deck, you could grow mold or cause ice dams or IAQ issues.

Yeah I vented in the attic like 6 years ago. I had no problems. didn't for a couple crops till I could afford to upgrade. Sometimes you do what you have to do to get shit done.