What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

trouble sleeping

L

Lee Van Kief

i'm sure i'm not the only one out there that has trouble sleeping when they run out of bud(doesn't happen often but it is right now). does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get past it? besides my screwed up back bothering me worse when i'm not smoking it just seems like I stay too "wound up".

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
get some melatonin from gnc. take a pill and lay down to sleep, no artificial lights around, like tvs, pcs etc... just breathe and relax, don't think, just relax.

don't take it for more than 10 days straight... with ten days you should be able to normalize your sleeping.

keep the pills in the fridge btw...

be good!

L

Lee Van Kief

thanks bombadil, I will check that out. "don't think", that's the main issue lol, seems like every stupid thing in the world races through my head when I try to sleep

purple_man

Veteran
high bro, if you have plants growing, and can remove a couple of fan leaves, you can simmer those in a cup of milk for 15-20 mins (on low heat), helped me gettin to sleep last time i ran out and had some plants growing... else you can try do the same with hops flowers, the beta mycrene inside is the same one in cannabis -> should make you more relaxed...

blessss

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I have trouble sleeping every day/night of my life, once every 6-8 weeks I'll get a great nights sleep. last time was this past friday, felt like a million bucks waking up.

oh yeah, my lack of sleep is pain based not weed related.

outsidegrower

Premium user
Veteran
get some melatonin from gnc. take a pill and lay down to sleep, no artificial lights around, like tvs, pcs etc... just breathe and relax, don't think, just relax.

don't take it for more than 10 days straight... with ten days you should be able to normalize your sleeping.

keep the pills in the fridge btw...

be good!

i'll second that. melatonin works great

Gelado`

Veteran
Melatonin works even better sublingually (under the tongue), especially if you get the liquid kind. It works TOO well for me and I end up sleeping for 16 hours or so and wake up with a headache!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

when I use my Ambien CR longer hours of sleep come easier, but I'm in my own constant battle to use as little as possible so not as to become too dependent on the shit.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Ambien's fairly well known for not leaving you w/a morning hangover. if you have time to take in 6 hours of sleep you'll feel refreshed. take it w/only 3 or 4 hours sleep available before having to wake & you might feel a bit buzzed, nothing too bad.

GrassRoots

Do you exercise? I know you have back problems (I do too) but if you can find an exercise regimen that doesn't cause too much strain on your back it could help you out.

For quieting the mind I might suggest an audio cd on meditation. I use the same techniques an old audiocassette taught me for meditation to help me sleep at night when my mind is racing.

L

Lee Van Kief

no, I hate to admit it but I don't other than walking which isn't ever very far. I do have plans to start soon,trying to kick this nasty cigarette habit as we speak and in another month i'm all fitness,as much as possible anyway.

T

thesloppy

I have suffered from insomnia since I was probably 12 years old, and I have an over-active brain that grinds away at night, on anything it can, and I've got muscle spasm in my back, so I can feel your pain. Ambien (or any other prescription med) never did anything for me, except make me feel a little odd. Not sleeping is really the worst, as it can exacerbate all your other problems/pains. I've just recently come to realize that the overactive brain stuff is actually a result of anxiety, and a mild form of OCD. You might look into that, and see if it resonates for you.

I've been doing some casual research on insomnia/anxiety & nutrition recently, so the subject is somewhat fresh in my mind. For me, learning some of the most very basic science behind the stuff has made it much more understandable and appealing to my brain, rather than just having family/friends/docs tell me "you should do XXXX" or "Try XXXX, it's really good for you!" without much of an explanation, so I'll try to give you a bit of a brain dump: Aside from all the the good advice mentioned above (exercise, in particular is good for tiring out your body and brain, so they're more receptive to sleep), I've had good results with adding an L-tryptophan supplement, which is one of the essential amino acids, and most associated with turkey and the Thanksgiving drowsies, but is present in lots of foods (primarily meats). I've also had really good results by drastically increasing my protein intake, during the day through meats and protein-rich veggies, and then a protein shake right before bedtime, so the body has something to eat while I sleep.

Eating raw proteins is actually just another way to increase your tryptophan intake, as your body digests protein and turns it into tryptophan (and lots of other stuff), and in turn the body uses tryptophan to manufacture serotonin (as well as niacin and auxin). Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that has been found to greatly contribute/control well-being and happiness, and the more of it your body can manufacture and release, the better mood you'll be in, and the calmer your brain will be. Now, here's the key to all the claptrap I've just written: marijuana also causes your body to release serotonin at elevated levels. As such, keeping your body well stocked in tryptophan, through supplements and/or a protein-rich diet, can provide some of the same brain/mood calming effects that we get from marijuana. The effect of a tryptophan-rich obviously isn't as immediate or pronounced as smoking weed, but rather it increases your serotonin levels on the whole, throughout the day (and through the night).

The other side of that coin, cutting out the bad parts of your diet that interfere with the bodies processing of serotonin/tryptophan/protein, AKA sugars and processed grains (assuming you eat 'em), can also greatly improve your sleep, but that's easier said than done these days.

L

Lee Van Kief

no way oliver, you can't make me do that, i'm not sucking anything.

blastfrompast

Veteran
3 gabapentin will sometimes work for me...Just takes a bit of the edge off of the neck pain (spinal)...

900-1200mg seems to be the sweet zone for getting 4-5 hours of sleep..

But i am pretty much always medicated..so not sure how well it works without...

Latest posts

Latest posts