What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Boxing Thread

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Pulling for Canelo.

I'm on fence about ordering this one. I don't stay up late anymore.

For this I might.

Badfishy1

Sadly I think GGG has lost a bit. Think this fight along with MW/ PAC is a few years (2) past it's "prime" (MW/PAC was about 5 years late). Thus being said I WOULD order it if you know, I had electricity

Last edited:
N

NBE One !

Not ever seen this EU guy .
Starts ,4am UK. Space clock ! :woohoo:

:chin: I had electricity,Bf1 ?
Dad topped mine up He put £30 on . Wii ! /(-: will have too download tomorrow tho.Slow Connection

Last edited:

Badfishy1

Not ever seen this EU guy .
Starts ,4am UK. Space clock ! :woohoo:

:chin: if you know I had electricity, BF1 ?
Dad topped mine up He put £30 on . Wii ! /(-: will have too download tomorrow tho.Slow Connection

Ahhh was saying I'm without power n will be for a bit longer. We got SMASHED by the storm. Been riding a chainsaw for 5 days now n still have trees down on power lines. Shit is slow going cutting n hauling trees alone. But who does one call when everybody is in same boat

N

NBE One !

(;

(;

Ahh yea forgetting.Ya get hit by the weather hard in the U.S ,sometimes )/-:
Has that storm fizzled out to sea or still on a path of destruction somewhere ? ; I'll check Irma out sometime . lots of coverage on UK tv

Last edited:

Badfishy1

Ahh yea forgetting.Ya get hit by the weather hard in the U.S ,sometimes )/-:
Has that storm fizzled out to sea or still on a path of destruction somewhere ? ; I'll check Irma out sometime . lots of coverage on UK tv, !

Think there are at least 2 out in Atlantic being watched ATM. Still licking wounds from Irma... would be absolutely catastrophic for anything to hit Florida anytime soon...

N

NBE One !

The G.G.G guy won ... a Der judge !

-
German Goo Girls ! (((-:

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
So after riding a chainsaw for a week does it feel like your bones are still vibrating even when youre sleeping? Also, i guess ear protection is mandatory.

Disappointed that it went to decision, people were talking up the power of both fighters.
Boxing has a long, sordid history of crooked matches, but the reason its lost popularity in the US is concern over health issues (long before football and CTE, people would look at muhammad ali in the 90's and think, yeah, no way i want to go down that road) and the fact most champions now are foreign-born (mexico, uk, russia etc, probably related to lack of participation by american youth in boxing).

An interesting fight coming up Nov 4 is deontay wilder (US heavyweight champion of one of the boxing federations) vs luis ortiz, a dangerous and powerful cuban boxer. Hopefully someone will get KTFO in that one, if it's not rigged to go the distance...

Badfishy1

So after riding a chainsaw for a week does it feel like your bones are still vibrating even when youre sleeping? Also, i guess ear protection is mandatory.

Disappointed that it went to decision, people were talking up the power of both fighters.
Boxing has a long, sordid history of crooked matches, but the reason its lost popularity in the US is concern over health issues (long before football and CTE, people would look at muhammad ali in the 90's and think, yeah, no way i want to go down that road) and the fact most champions now are foreign-born (mexico, uk, russia etc, probably related to lack of participation by american youth in boxing).

An interesting fight coming up Nov 4 is deontay wilder (US heavyweight champion of one of the boxing federations) vs luis ortiz, a dangerous and powerful cuban boxer. Hopefully someone will get KTFO in that one, if it's not rigged to go the distance...

Day 3 and 4 I could feel every joint in my fingers now it's mind over matter. Similar to first few days setting bait bags in crab traps or longline clips (plenty of experience with that lol)

Honestly, I personally feel the downfall of boxing came as other professional atheletes started making more money. Who would choose to get their ass beat repeatedly when instead they could throw a ball into a basket or run down the sidelines and catch a ball. MOST if not ALL pro boxers were trying to better their situation (financially)

Also I think most turned away from boxing as all of the alphabet soup federations. How can 1 sport have 10 'champions'?

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Right on. I guess cannabis can help with neuropathic pain too, although maybe you have to be careful on getting high while working with power equipment (doesnt get more dangerous than a chainsaw probably).
I hear fishing is one of the most dangerous occupations, but sounds like you were in the crabbing industry? Still probably lots of ways to hurt yourself. I love seafood (soft shell crabs FTW) but did you ever get tired of eating it?

Also sadly most boxers end up being broke after their careers are over, most of it stolen by shady promoters or squandered by their entourages. Which is why you have to admire mayweather, he really set himself up for life by carefully managing his career. Turning heel also increased his popularity.

Badfishy1

Right on. I guess cannabis can help with neuropathic pain too, although maybe you have to be careful on getting high while working with power equipment (doesnt get more dangerous than a chainsaw probably).
I hear fishing is one of the most dangerous occupations, but sounds like you were in the crabbing industry? Still probably lots of ways to hurt yourself. I love seafood (soft shell crabs FTW) but did you ever get tired of eating it?

Also sadly most boxers end up being broke after their careers are over, most of it stolen by shady promoters or squandered by their entourages. Which is why you have to admire mayweather, he really set himself up for life by carefully managing his career. Turning heel also increased his popularity.

I edited last post. I don't eat anything that tastes or smells like fish ;) I have fished most of Americas fisheries from Fl to Alaska both east and west coast and also the gulf states. I have fished commercial for over 20 years. I will eat 2-3 dozen oysters for Christmas but that's it

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think there are 4 major boxing federations, of which deontay wilder is heavyweight champion of one. It does seem ridiculous that there can't be a unified champion in most weight classes, which again leads to fans' frustration with boxing: boxers will avoid matchups with strong opponents to preserve their record.
I guess it happens in MMA a bit too, with the UFC, bellator, K1, etc. The UFC has most of the best fighters, but there were some, like fedor in his prime, who fought in other promotions...

You must have seent some shit in 20 years of commercial fishing. What about storms? I guess with modern technology (radar, satellites) boats can mostly avoid the worst weather. Mostly...

Badfishy1

I think there are 4 major boxing federations, of which deontay wilder is heavyweight champion of one. It does seem ridiculous that there can't be a unified champion in most weight classes, which again leads to fans' frustration with boxing: boxers will avoid matchups with strong opponents to preserve their record.
I guess it happens in MMA a bit too, with the UFC, bellator, K1, etc. The UFC has most of the best fighters, but there were some, like fedor in his prime, who fought in other promotions...

You must have seent some shit in 20 years of commercial fishing. What about storms? I guess with modern technology (radar, satellites) boats can mostly avoid the worst weather. Mostly...

Fishing through weather is determined by who owns boat and size of boat. Typically if the boat is owned by a corporation, the owners along w insurance company will determine maximum wind conditions to fish. If owned by a single person/ family that is a different story lol.
As far as seeing shit... yeah I've seen plenty! Having to stitch my own eyebrow in 20' seas w a fishing hook and braided fishing line is probably one of my best stories

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Damn son, that's some real survivor shit right there.
Well, at least if theres a zombie apocalypse, youll be better off than most. Able to perform minor surgical procedures on self? Check.
Also my one friend has a theory that in a zombie apocalypse youre really better off on a boat in the middle of the water, cause who ever heard of swimming zombies?

Still havent found a good download of the GGG Canelo fight, just choppy ones. While no one got knocked out, it seemed some high level boxing skills were on display, so im interested in seeing it...

Badfishy1

Damn son, that's some real survivor shit right there.
Well, at least if theres a zombie apocalypse, youll be better off than most. Able to perform minor surgical procedures on self? Check.
Also my one friend has a theory that in a zombie apocalypse youre really better off on a boat in the middle of the water, cause who ever heard of swimming zombies?

Still havent found a good download of the GGG Canelo fight, just choppy ones. While no one got knocked out, it seemed some high level boxing skills were on display, so im interested in seeing it...

I didn't see fight (still no power blah) but I saw some clips and the exchanges looked top quality. My 'frustration' if you will, is a draw. To me, after 12 rounds somebody HAD to come out better than the other...
Part of my job in the wheelhouse is being a bit of everything. Gotta find the fine line where the crew is working efficiently in a safe yet productive manner. My number one priority is to come home w all my crew. Have to understand water/ weather conditions, have to know how to treat minor medical conditions. A lot to the job, but the high/ rush from it is second to none. Have you seen the movie the hurt locker? At the end when dude basically realizes his life as a civilian is boring and he becomes basically disconnected from life. Then tells his son there is only one thing he knows he loves... kind of the same feeling. (No not comparing fishing to war! Mad props to vets)

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I've only seen some gifs of the fight but the defensive skills seemed on point, the ducking and weaving makes you realize that mayweather wasnt really trying to avoid mcgregors punches.

You got my vote for group leader in the zombie apocalypse.
I get what you mean by the average civilian life being boring when youve been living on the edge of disaster for months. which means youll be used to being in survival mode without losing your shit like most people would.

N

NBE One !

just saying, lost most love of watching boxing when they moved from 3 sanctioning bodies W.B.A, W.B.C IBF too EIGHT OF 'EM !

3 world champions , 8 WorlD Champions ...

!?
-
yea there was 4 . WBO too ;

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I thought there were only 4 major (credible) ones. If there really are 8 sanctioning bodies, yeah, that's like a group of promoters getting together and forming their own sanctioning body just for their own fighters...

Latest posts

Latest posts