What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question about "double-pollinization"

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings & Love everyone! :wave:

I've got a simple question here, if a male pistil received two different pollens, how does it goes ? Is it the first pollen that lands on pistil which does all the work, or is it possible that a resulting seed contains genetics material from both pollen ?

Irie! :wave:

romanoweed

want to know too if :when i have 3 males open polinating.... will the children mostly EVER be of the FASTEST male??
So if i wanna preserve fullon sativas in open Pollunation... will i ever result in a nomore so much sativa Childrens?? No more so much as the Parents was?

romanoweed

And other Question hopefully ontopic: if i wanna force my open Pollination to be NOMORE so open.... Could i put transparent Bags around branches, and pollinate each Bagsealed branch differently , WHILE other males Standing nearby on a windstill day? And LET IT SIT FOR A MONTH without dying of Oxygenproblems?
Thanks

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
And other Question hopefully ontopic: if i wanna force my open Pollination to be NOMORE so open.... Could i put transparent Bags around branches, and pollinate each Bagsealed branch differently , WHILE other males Standing nearby on a windstill day? And LET IT SIT FOR A MONTH without dying of Oxygenproblems?
Thanks
Maybe what yer talking about.. Breed One Plant Multiple Strains,
cant mention the breeder but hes a good guy...

https://www.opengrow.com/topic/37645-bopms-breed-one-plant-multiples-strains/?hl=bopms&fromsearch=1

I did this indoors, it worked but for me, was too much work.
Bad enough I get a hermi seed or 5 occasionally, (no work at all) that gets my mind a thinking and me to germing.

EDIT: shit, now I'm thinking Herijuana

X

xavier7995

Thanks

Why not put the bags over the other males that are hanging out? Pollinating branches using different males is certainly possible and you would be bagging them for a short period of time...but i would think leaving a branch in a bag when a bud forms would be a recipe for a moldy disaster. You could put a bag over the male and wait for pollen to drop, use pollen, then discard the male. Much lower chance of mold issues and they would really only be bagged for a week or two once balls form.

Hope that makes sense.

romanoweed

to Xavier.. hmm interesting but then i would have a certain Risk that Pollen from assumed Male 1 of 3 wouldnt get alive to my Females....
Cause Pollen might die, if im not dooing right... and i end up loosing that pollination, or is there to no Risk in collecting/shaking Pollen of a bagged
Male-Plant? And putting them on to individual female Plantsections(Bagged sections for half hour)?
This i dont know. The Risk Faktor.
Also, i still would HAVE to know first if Canna-Plants NEED oxygene or h20.(i dont know wich of bouth, but you get the Idea) Cause i seem to remember from School, that Trees, and basicallay all other Plants breathe.. and i dont know the Time it takes until they die, or if they Breathe with their roots.....

And CAUSE of a certain riskfaktor i would prefere to let one male Plant pollinating mostly all, so i can lay back and dont have to do all in Time and right. and do my singlebranche Female-bagings, despite the higher Risk of rot.. Cause These other Parings would not be so important than the first Male-Plant Paaring.

Last edited:

djonkoman

Veteran
I always bag for a week or so after pollination. you can get these things called 'pollination bags' from ebay which are basically a kind of paper bags, so they breathe, exactly for this purpose. only downside to leaving it on longer is that if it gets wet from rain(I only grow outdoor) the bag stays wet for a while and increases risk for budrot, that's why I do remove it after a week. but as long as it doesn't rain it's fine.

romanoweed

someone anwsered me the question.. i think he said that..:
if you have one male, and a female, then the male pollinates, and seeds take around 5-6 weeks to form.. after that your male polinates further, if you dont kill it.. then your female will be pollinated again, as soon as your seeds have finished forming.. and they will make another seedrun, up to 3 times or so... so, as soon as seeds formed in 5 6 weeks the females are open again for beeing pollnated. So and if you have now 3 males it s unshure wich one will pollinate, atleast when 3 are Standing there/starting pollinisation at the exact same time. So when one male is a bit earlier, but im not shure if that may happen inside the same line.. but if one male is first, it will atleast make seeds all himselve for the first run of seeds, and after the first Serie of seeds has formed , then all the other males will have the same Chance to make the babies for this time.. (assumed that all males have already started pollinating 6 weeks later)

So , my Suggestion is: that with open pollinisation, there might be a slight predominance from the first pollinating male, but there are still one or two more seedseries, where every male seems to have the same Chance.. but not in the first run, atleast not if one male is earlier, wich i still dont know if that happens, or if they are at the same time (inside the line..?)

romanoweed

can you explain a bit more exact ? I dont know if its black Humor.. i cant see and hear bodylanguage here..

Betterhaff

Veteran
One of the main goals of the female plant is to reproduce and does so by producing flowers to receive pollen (the male’s reproduction goal is to produce pollen). As long as the female is producing new flowers she can accept pollen. If a female isn’t heavily pollinated she will continue to produce new flowers, to a point. If the female is heavily pollinated she kind of stops producing new flowers and puts most of its energy into producing the seeds to maturity and then dies.

White Beard

Put it this way: each seed can only have two parents, never three...and one grain of pollen is enough.

If, hypothetically, multiple pollen grains hit a single flower simultaneously, the flower will decide which wins.

If, hypothetically, the flower decides more than one wins, then a major mutation is under way.

(Check my ‘math’, y’all)

romanoweed

but what happens after seed is formed White bird? Anwser, there is another pollination possible.. atleast if the female wasent loved too hardcore.. I think this thoughtprocess is just important IN CASE you wanna prevent your say pure equatorial sativa from not been reproduced in open pollination AS correct as it was possible. Cause would there be a very early male, then its possible that this male looves all the females CAUSE it was way earlier..
So to prevent that, the knowledge that if females arent loved toooo hard, there is a good Chance that ALL males are able to loove the females later after the first seedserie formed, and there Comes your words that: women decides to a certain degree... but most of the time everyone(male) can love sometimes and has a chance, and there would be still seeds from every male to different degrees.
I just would eventually watch that if there is a first male, that i cut some pollen away before from it, so its no more so much pollen. And just to say, it Needs a such tiny bit and a whole field is FULL of seeds from just one tiny male, so i would cut really really much, and let a tiny bit over, not that it makes all the early-gentic-ish seeds alone, and your open pollination becomes short-flowering-male only pollination..
Im not shure if the later males still have Chance to love the female despite the females ongoing lovelive with the first male WHILE the first seedserie tho, but from what im told its not . correct me if im wrong

I just want to Show a bigger view, wich makes me wonder..
eventualy i will just rather kill the first male to reproduce, cause again: male Cannabis pollen is sooooo strong, and its probably more risky to not reproduce your line well, cause the first male loved too strong(cause i didnt cutaway enough pollen), and therefor the risk of not representing your line in open pollination is smaller DESPITE the killing of one earlyflowering maleplant..

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Once the pollen grain attaches to a Pistil (actually, a Stigma), that door closes for that one Pistil which will produce ONE seed.

[iframe1]sqcLjcSloXs[/iframe1]

If, hypothetically, the flower decides more than one wins, then a major mutation is under way.

That would mean there was two Stigmas on one Pistil (possible I guess). When a pollen grain attaches to the Stigma, a long tube (Can't remember what it's called at the moment, but think of it like a hardon. lol) descends the triggers a hormonal change to allow the seed to start growing. If that happens with both pollen grains, I think we could call it Double Penetration. lol But I still think there would be only one baby daddy.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grew a small sack of double seeded Siamese twins.

Not sure what caused it but they're interesting.

redlaser

Veteran
I grew a small sack of double seeded Siamese twins.

Not sure what caused it but they're interesting.

Are you talking about two plants coming from one one seed?

Had that happen only twice so far, from a TGA strain called kaboom.

One double seed had two females that grew pretty similar, slightly different heights.

The other double had a larger female and smaller male plant.

Only started five kaboom seeds so there was no question the doubles were from a single seed

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And other Question hopefully ontopic: if i wanna force my open Pollination to be NOMORE so open.... Could i put transparent Bags around branches, and pollinate each Bagsealed branch differently?
Thanks

That's what I do except I use parchment paper bags.

Method is like this...
-Collect pollen from all the males and mix evenly
-Place a little bit of the collected pollen into a corner of the bag and fold it up sp pollen cannot leak out.
-Place bag over branch to pollinate an seal, to the best of your ability around the branch.
-Unfold pollen pocket, release pollen, shake like hell leaving bag on branch.
- come back a bit later and shake the bag again. 15 minutes is plenty of time, more can't hurt. leave for another 15 minutes.
-when you're ready to remove the bag have a spray bottle ready.
-spray inside the bag, thoroughly wetting all the flowers previous to removing the bag from the branch. (prevents unwanted pollenation)
-spray entire plant to help ensure unwanted pollenation. (optional)

WaaLaa!!! Seeds are already being produced. It only takes a few minutes for the pollen to form the pollen tube and impregnate the cannabis flower.

If you have other males in the room while doing this you will not know what seeds you are harvesting.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always bag for a week or so after pollination. you can get these things called 'pollination bags' from ebay which are basically a kind of paper bags, so they breathe, exactly for this purpose. only downside to leaving it on longer is that if it gets wet from rain(I only grow outdoor) the bag stays wet for a while and increases risk for budrot, that's why I do remove it after a week. but as long as it doesn't rain it's fine.

Parchment paper is supposed to be water resistant.

No need to wait a week... Pollen tubes form rather quickly.
:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts