What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Always happens in week 5-6 in flower.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thanks. Wait, you don't change out your reservoir nutes until 5 days before harvest? One batch beginning to end?!
Correct.

I mix the initial res and then use the regular replacement of nutrients as a pH down. Only r/o water for the base, always topping off the res daily with un-pH'd r/o. The link in my sig has a more in-depth explanation. The tech is over 20 years old and, imo, awesome. :)

Once transpiration slows, I don't add additional nutrients and as I've posted I'll actually dilute what's there if it's too hot. 5 days before harvest I pump it to a lawn or garden and replace with un-ph'd r/o.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Correct.

I mix the initial res and then use the regular replacement of nutrients as a pH down. Only r/o water for the base, always topping off the res daily with un-pH'd r/o. The link in my sig has a more in-depth explanation. The tech is over 20 years old and, imo, awesome. :)

Once transpiration slows, I don't add additional nutrients and as I've posted I'll actually dilute what's there if it's too hot. 5 days before harvest I pump it to a lawn or garden and replace with un-ph'd r/o.
View Image

My grow is coco hempy, micro style and I must say that what you say here
totally applies and I will adapt my feed accordingly.

I don't have the overly green plant thing, but damn if I don't get dried out crispy
leaves from time to time mid flower.

Transpiration.

Great post, very helpful.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Hup

I agree .
Get a USB microscope and see the mites . Then treat the plants . And the mothers the clones are coming from .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G `day OP

If it was a deficiency or over feeding , then why are some leaves seemingly in good health and others turned to a crisp ?

Deficiency or over feed will hit the whole plant . Not just some of the leaves .

Get a USB microscope and start looking at the undersides of the leaves .

I had broad mites for years before I worked out WTF was goin on .

Lost a lot of plants . Misdiagnosed problems galore . PH too high / too low . over fed / under fed room too hot , bad medium , bad nutes etc .

Then recently some friends of mine had the same symptoms . One of those guys scoped his plants and found mites .
Well , whadaya know my plants were doing the same .

Bought a scope for $80 dollars and immediately was able to see the mites and the damage they cause .

Killed them off with breauveria brassiana and abamectin .

All good now .

VNSwehM.jpg

1REOxwP.jpg

Get a scope . If I `m wrong you can rule that out as a cause . But ATM your PH / nutes / temp are all within reason . Its some thing else IMO .

I run EC 2.0 + so 1.2 is not the problem . If you were growing some skinny leaf heirloom , maybe the nutes could be too hot . Modern hybrids can eat a hell of a lot more . Burning usually happens after an increase in EC or temps spike . If the plant is fed strong nutes all its life they adapt better than a sudden increase .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Dirt Bag

Before with mites .
View Image

View Image
After . No mites .
View Image

I don't doubt that you had mites. But using your logic, wouldn't all of my plants be infested? Especially the mothers that are literally years old? They are bushy healthy monsters. Too big really. Also I'm that guy who uses imidacloprid. If it bites plants here it dies. We don't have insects. We prefer chemicals ��

I'm convinced Doug is right about nutrition, but I do have issues with not changing the reservoir. Why? Because we add nutrients all at once. There's no way to know how much of which nutrients have been used by the plants, therefore adding more of everything will undoubtedly create an imbalance. This is the common belief amongst the hydroponic community, all nutrient manufacturers, and all botanists I am aware of.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I don't doubt that you had mites. But using your logic, wouldn't all of my plants be infested? Especially the mothers that are literally years old? They are bushy healthy monsters. Too big really. Also I'm that guy who uses imidacloprid. If it bites plants here it dies. We don't have insects. We prefer chemicals ��

I'm convinced Doug is right about nutrition, but I do have issues with not changing the reservoir. Why? Because we add nutrients all at once. There's no way to know how much of which nutrients have been used by the plants, therefore adding more of everything will undoubtedly create an imbalance. This is the common belief amongst the hydroponic community, all nutrient manufacturers, and all botanists I am aware of.

G `day DB

Yes he does have a convincing tone if you are not informed .
[ with great power ,comes great responsibility . ]

The plants in the pix were from seed . I found the mites at 5 weeks . killed them and flowered . The clones and mother plants I had also nearly died from mite damage . Some clones did die .

I`m not saying I am certain . I said more than once . Scope and rule it out . Then use process of elimination .One factor at a time so you can tell when you make a difference .
More than one factor how will you know what was affective ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This is the difference between a properly balanced nutrient profile and one which is not.

To drastically over-simplify it:
When you're given a plate with steak, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans, anything you don't need or won't eat is left over. Too much beans, and your plate comes back with beans left on it. Not enough of one or more items and though the plate is empty, you're still hungry.

When the mix is balanced and of the correct strength for the needs of the plant, there is no excess or deficiency. The plate comes back clean and the plant is full. While the exact balance varies depending on conditions and strains, a general base formula has been used successfully by growers for decades now. 122-99-171-68 N-P-K-Mg is what's been tossed around and it's what I've been using for 15+ years.

When this is used with a full pH swing in the root zone, allowing each element a period of full absorption, there is so little left over from errors it doesn't matter. When you add the balanced mix back to replace what the plants have used, it's all in balance. When you use a natural pH swing, without any manual pH adjustments, there is no build up of pH up/down elements from this source.

This is what cleaner cannabis is all about. This is the 20+ year old tech I'm working on teaching more folks about. This is what the common hydro community doesn't understand, and the ignorance the mfg's take advantage of. They sell a hell of a lot more nutes when folks dump their res every two weeks, that's for sure.

Follow the link in my signature, do your own testing and reap the rewards for yourself. :tiphat: