What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do I do to collect pollen

I have a beautiful male I found in bagseed. There are five plants total they all seem pretty homogenous thru veg

I topped him to keep a cut in case he was female I really thought he was I have a very big, broad thick plant that I haven’t gotten a chance to sex yet, then this male was second in maturity/height. They appear to be sativa and this male has a musky/pine smell. I really like his short, stout structure

How do I collect the pollen without disturbing my garden I only have enough space for one room I use the closet for veg

Attachments

• 15D61FEB-3A22-4029-ACE0-23B2E43907A5.jpg
    15D61FEB-3A22-4029-ACE0-23B2E43907A5.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 457702E0-4938-484A-ABDC-C6E6D05B2143.jpg
    457702E0-4938-484A-ABDC-C6E6D05B2143.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 13

igrowone

Veteran
males don't require much light to make their pollen
if possible, you want to move your male to another room with a window
then watch the flowers closely, you can get more pollen than you want if it's allowed to go too long

X

xavier7995

It takes a week or two for them to drop pollen after you switch to 12/12. What works for me is to flip to flower and wait about a week for balls to form. Then I cut the branches off, you want them to be a uniform length. Stick those is a cup or bowl of water and get a decent sized piece of foil/parchment paper/wax paper. What you want to do is have then leaning over the edge of your container of water so they can drop pollen down onto the foil/parchment paper below. Just the cut tips need to be in the water. Use whatever light source you want, but I have better results keeping them on 12/12, they can sort of stall out in developing if the light schedule gets messed up. They should drop pollen after a few days, and will continue to do so for a few more, you can give the bundle of branches a little shake to encourage more to drop.

Obviously keep these away from any plants you don't want preggers. What works for me is to get a clear plastic tote to put in the flower area and stick the male branches in there to do their thing.

igrowone

Veteran
Ok so the Next room over won’t contaminate my garden right? I will be careful of course

that's what i've done, and it didn't contaminate mine
but that was with careful watching of the blooms, and some gentle tapping to collect pollen flower by flower
i didn't get extra pollen spreading all over
each male is different, some can spray more than others

It takes a week or two for them to drop pollen after you switch to 12/12. What works for me is to flip to flower and wait about a week for balls to form. Then I cut the branches off, you want them to be a uniform length. Stick those is a cup or bowl of water and get a decent sized piece of foil/parchment paper/wax paper. What you want to do is have then leaning over the edge of your container of water so they can drop pollen down onto the foil/parchment paper below. Just the cut tips need to be in the water. Use whatever light source you want, but I have better results keeping them on 12/12, they can sort of stall out in developing if the light schedule gets messed up. They should drop pollen after a few days, and will continue to do so for a few more, you can give the bundle of branches a little shake to encourage more to drop.

Obviously keep these away from any plants you don't want preggers. What works for me is to get a clear plastic tote to put in the flower area and stick the male branches in there to do their thing.

Perfect so I can just cut some off and position them in a clear container in water. This is what I wanted to do thanks. Then when they drop I can just walk out of the room with the container

Breeders laboratory

Edit: I meant to type that into google. I’m hi as shit right now lol. Thanks about to search for and read thru now

NEED 4 SEED

Perfect so I can just cut some off and position them in a clear container in water. This is what I wanted to do thanks. Then when they drop I can just walk out of the room with the container

Hope you read it all. You should let the living male plant sit in the 12:12 chamber until complete male flowers have formed but before opening you should take them out and/or take cuts to let them ripe out as described. To place unrooted and undeveloped cuts under 12:12 won't let them flower out really.

igrowone

Veteran
Hope you read it all. You should let the living male plant sit in the 12:12 chamber until complete male flowers have formed but before opening you should take them out and/or take cuts to let them ripe out as described. To place unrooted and undeveloped cuts under 12:12 won't let them flower out really.

that was my experience

igrowone

Veteran
What do you collect it on / store it in?

i use a small bottle to freeze dry in
bottle is filled with uncooked white rice, a natural dessicant
pollen is tapped onto a bit of porous paper
seal and let dry in the fridge for a few days, then into freezer

buzzmobile

Veteran
Another method is to tap the male flowers over a piece of wax paper. The pollen slides easily on the wax paper. Fold the wax paper into a small pouch and store in a sealed jar with a dessicant pack.

MintyMick

I have a 2 x 4 x 4 tent that I have vented outside for negative air flow and I OCD cut the pollen sacks off as soon as they open. Then I dry them on a piece of glass in the pollen tent and when ready I put them into a small container with rice and refrigerate it. I have pollen from 2012 that is still viable.

I’ve been curious about the method you are trying (chopping a few branches and placing in water). Please post your results.

St. Phatty

In the past when I wanted to make seeds I would keep the male in a separate room and when the pollen was ready, snip some pollen parts off of it and put them in a plastic bag.

Then wrap the bag around the branch of the female plant you want to pollinate.

Maybe shake the bag around a little. Use a tie wrap and let the plastic bag sit on the branch for an hour.

But now I'm tired of doing it that way & I just let the male plant and female plants sit next to each other in a separate area.

Pollination doesn't have to be fancy. Sometimes I use the shower area to store plants. That's not a bad place for a pollination.

Once the plant is pollinated, how do you keep it from pollinating the other plants ? In the past I have put the female plant in the shower stall, and turned on the hot water, so it steams up the whole area. But not on the plant !

I did it because I thought the steam helped to 'settle' the pollen.