What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hollow Stems?

It is important to note which of the three types of hemp is being discussed, and if it is male or female. All of these make a difference in both the size of the core and layers.

Van der Werf, H.M.G. and W. Van den Berg. 1995. Nitrogen fertilization and sex expression affect size variability of fibre hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) Oecologia, 103: 462–470

Phillis

The stem has four cell walls and above 2' you'll find the walls increase with the affinity for eight. Shoes in the 60's were of higher quality due to the soul being made from blue dream cannabis!

clearheaded

Stop trying. What you are saying is as dumb as saying bone shouldn’t have marrow. Learn to grow

lol just trying to spread some knowledge. I am not sure what you mean by shouldnt have marrow. hemp, as stated uses its energy to grow long fibers instead of pith, and why hemp has hollow stem. its not what it SHOULD be its just difference between hemp and drug var. (again look up blueberry in phylos galaxy, observe how much hemp is in it) obv you dont understand what happens in a stem or what fibers are or how nutrients are moved through a plant so obviously it is lost on you unless u want to open your eyes a little. center aka pith of stem doesnt move nutrients in any real way. anyway if look back in the thread plenty of cited articles. google types of cells in a stem then google what plant fibers are (particularly loong hemp fiber). I have prepared more cross sections of stems then a care to admit ;) ones knowledge becomes clear when their last word is trying to insult when have nothing of relevance to say. cheers!

must not feed the trolls lol...

Last edited:

clearheaded

exactly :) glad u looked it up. see also:

note where primary and secondary fibers are. also note how makes note of hollow stem of hemp :) . reading rainbow lol

https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/chiwonlee/plsc211/student papers/articles02/cthielen/hemp.htm

http://www.legalise.org.nz/amazing-microbial-structure-hemp/

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Cross-section-of-a-hemp-stem-6_fig1_269700435

scroll down to 3. note hemp amount. sample was straight from dj "old world genetics" i am guessing because he selected males that were near hemp ie hollow stem. for better or worse appears to be backed up by science. https://phylos.bio/sims/sample/genotype/eg5dndro

Spaventa

Veteran
exactly :) glad u looked it up. see also:

note where primary and secondary fibers are. also note how makes note of hollow stem of hemp :) . reading rainbow lol

https://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/chiwonlee/plsc211/student papers/articles02/cthielen/hemp.htm

https://www.legalise.org.nz/amazing-microbial-structure-hemp/

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Cross-section-of-a-hemp-stem-6_fig1_269700435

scroll down to 3. note hemp amount. sample was straight from dj "old world genetics" i am guessing because he selected males that were near hemp ie hollow stem. for better or worse appears to be backed up by science. https://phylos.bio/sims/sample/genotype/eg5dndro

more importantly, it notes the ventilation and moisture affects of the "broader central void"

It confirms my suspicion, mentioned 117 posts ago.

Is there a correlation between the trait and humidity? Hollow stems seem tumescent and tumescence favours high humidity? Possibly solid stems retain moisture better in dry conditions?

The superior ventilation is the benefit I suppose. Solid stems retain moisture better. Hollow stems breathe better. They just evolved in different climates.

clearheaded

sorry where does it mention that? also yea I would imagine as pith is storage more it has to store(putting more energy in to storage then growth?) the larger the pith would be however think maybe we are discussing 2 different things. I was just saying in general hemp has hollow stems drug var not so much slight variation due to climate, sure. also confirming DJ selected for hemp by choosing hollow stem by the % of hemp in blueberry in phylos galaxy.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Nutrients travel into the plant through the xylem. Look up where the xylem is suppose to be

G `day J

Back to your books fella .

Xylem
Xylem vessels are involved in the movement of water through a plant from its roots to its leaves.

Water;
Is absorbed from the soil through root hair cells
Is transported through the xylem vessels up the stem to the leaves
Evaporates from the leaves (transpiration)
Phloem
Phloem vessels are involved in translocation. This is the movement of food substances from the stems to growing tissues and storage tissues.

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G'day Elmer,

Xylem moves water and all dissolved inorganic nutrients from the soil upward throughout the plant.

Phloem moves the products of photosynthesis (sugars) to the non-photosynthetic parts of the plant, including the roots.

Cheers :tiphat:

Avenger

Veteran
Pith is a region of the stem that is made up of GROUND TISSUE(Parenchyma Tissue). It is nether dermal nor vascular. One of the main functions of the PITH is photosynthate/carbohydrate STORAGE, it disappears and the stem becomes hollow when there is an imbalance of the SINK and SOURCE tissue for photosynthates.

Plants may be genetically programmed to be able to re-allocate carbohydrates from the STORAGE PITH at the top of the stem to more important SINK tissue nearby like rapidly expanding inflorescence, but it is the environment that triggers it to happen. Nutrition, weather, light, some dumb ass defoliating can all be contributing factors.

Try it yourself and see. I don't care if you grow tomato's, broccoli, cannabis or dandelions. If you are a master of the universe, then you can; to a degree, control pith autolysis. But first, you must understand it.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=379760&d=1475016714 <--------READ THIS

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day Folks

Selection for hollow stems .
Not just a DJ Shorts thang . Shantibaba has written about selecting hollow stem males too .

To the plant food experts . I feed K and cal mag foliarly . Have hollow stems on most of the strains I grow .

Haze hybrids usually have hollow stems . Whether in dirt , hydro or coco .

Its genetic in this case ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Spaventa

Veteran
G `day Folks

Selection for hollow stems .
Not just a DJ Shorts thang . Shantibaba has written about selecting hollow stem males too .

To the plant food experts . I feed K and cal mag foliarly . Have hollow stems on most of the strains I grow .

Haze hybrids usually have hollow stems . Whether in dirt , hydro or coco .

Its genetic in this case ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Ive found the same Elmer. Maybe thats where people are divided - if you don't grow Haze hybrids, you may well have not seen them. Cheers.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day Spav

Yes , I got a big shock the 1st time I super cropped a Haze Hyb .
Stem was like straw . Crushed with a pop . Now days par for the course .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Spaventa

Veteran
G `day Spav

Yes , I got a big shock the 1st time I super cropped a Haze Hyb .
Stem was like straw . Crushed with a pop . Now days par for the course .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

The Panama Hazes I finished topping a couple of weeks ago have huge voids, very thin walled. The A5 and Nevilles crosses have a much smaller but its still there. my JH crosses do it, but weirdly, my favourite NH pheno from 2003 didn't.
Amnesia, Cheese, GG4, Gelato45, blues, akog, Casey Jones, all solid stems for me. Only kept Amnesia and GG4.

All SSSDH hybrids Ive grown were solid stems.

clearheaded

think most people get it is genetic.finaly... i hope lol... what interesting is some panamas have good amount of hemp in them :) big differences in sams panama ,aces "hybrid" and others like "panama red" from coastal seeds show the large amount of hemp subgroup.... interesting.... but yea makes sense tall lanky narow leaf stretch out grow long fibers even displayed in fluffy buds streeetcheed.

jack herer it is about 50% same variation as hemp stating in phylos.
"Jack Herer has heritage similar to varieties in Skunk, Hemp, " go figure

what may be interesting is if var that are known to have hermi issues have more "hemp" subgroup in them... hmm just looked trainwreck(known to toss bananas as far as i know) indeed has VERY large amount of hemp... will look more... interesting tho

MrBungle

Interesting I have 2 panama reds I just put into flower, that I cut clones off of a few days ago... no hollow stems...

If you mean genetics takes into account your feeding practices, then yea its genetics :wallbash:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Por que no los dos? Why can't it be caused in some cases by feeding and also genetics? Why does it have to only be one thing?

clearheaded

Interesting I have 2 panama reds I just put into flower, that I cut clones off of a few days ago... no hollow stems...

If you mean genetics takes into account your feeding practices, then yea its genetics :wallbash:

there is a huge variation in panama red and is not 1 strain... coastal seeds or ace? coastals has alot of hemp, aces is more skunk based.

also every cutting is going to be more or less filled, hemp or not as its so small. "virtually solid". anyway obv scientific studies dont convince people of whats going on, or dont really understand what is being discussed. as stated enviro obv plays a small part sure (people make GSC look like swag) but there is a reason scientists smarter then u or i found hemp had pithless stems and original drug types had a more filled stem.

After some thinking yesterday i found it very interesting the 2 strains with KNOWN documented hermi issues blueberry(DP even talks about this) and trainwreck have high amounts of hemp... is it the monacious genes found in hemp that are making it high or product of sampling? or? is this a way breeders can find out easily if there plants will have tendancy to hermi? just strange the 2 thats stand out ended up having extra hemp in them and hazard to bet trainwreck tends to have hollow stems..... hmmmmm.. any other Known hermi plants we can check out? most chems have to stress and sometimes may have issues but i think u hear of chems poppin nans cause so ubiquitous.