What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

pooman

The arghandab...the dark one was done with a 102 degree bath sweat and the others just a 84degree for like 5 days

Attachments

• 20230403_193541.jpg
    20230403_193541.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 55

islandpreservation

Yes dry the sections of bark they will end up like fibrous cardboard very strong and wont tear or break.
Traditional banana bark cobs were the most common type found back in the day very good for cob making.
Thanks Tangwena! I had a feeling. Seems way more corn husk-esque than leaves. Will be great to get yet another good use out of the nanas. The Ti (cordyline) leaves look like they might be a good fit too. Thanks for your epic work over the years paving the way to cob merriment. A truly righteous addition to life.

pooman

They look ok maybe too dry going into the sweat but they should cure ok they will just take longer seal them up and forget about them for 3 or 4 months they should have cured by then.
Yessir! I felt that when I vacced em, they had a lot of moisture...but the other one I did in the 102 was a couple days before...it was a Larfy hashplant...but smoke some of the 102 degree darker one, it was niccccccce :)

sneezydog

Have done banana bark and ti leaves, both are nice, ti leaves i used similar to a corncob with overlapping layers of leaf, rolled once and tied loosely and then cinched super tight. Takes some pressure without breaking, ti leaves. The banana bark is a more solid barrier without much fussing about. I have used ti leaves fresh though, and the bark is too wet to be used fresh usually. Tying the two ends super tight is important, especially if not using vac seal tech. Both have a nice teflon like coating on their surfaces that peels away from sticky material perfectly like a steamed sweet sticky rice bar... different smell /bacteria from each

islandpreservation

Have done banana bark and ti leaves, both are nice, ti leaves i used similar to a corncob with overlapping layers of leaf, rolled once and tied loosely and then cinched super tight. Takes some pressure without breaking, ti leaves. The banana bark is a more solid barrier without much fussing about. I have used ti leaves fresh though, and the bark is too wet to be used fresh usually. Tying the two ends super tight is important, especially if not using vac seal tech. Both have a nice teflon like coating on their surfaces that peels away from sticky material perfectly like a steamed sweet sticky rice bar... different smell /bacteria from each
Ahh thanks sneezy! That's rad you experimented with Ti would love to try that..I would imagine pandanus would be the equally awesome being that it was used in so much thatching and weaving. Time to get experimenting :)

islandpreservation

I am curious if anyone has tried the southeast asian bamboo cures?. It seems that is hard information to come by. The way the flower is compressed, time frames of ferments, and methods of burying/sweating in particular. Was this something done with certain batches of thai stick? I have also heard of sugar/alcohol sprays and various tricks that elude internet validation.

Tangwena

Veteran
I am curious if anyone has tried the southeast asian bamboo cures?. It seems that is hard information to come by. The way the flower is compressed, time frames of ferments, and methods of burying/sweating in particular. Was this something done with certain batches of thai stick? I have also heard of sugar/alcohol sprays and various tricks that elude internet validation.
That is because most of the stuff on the internet originates from the US. The people with the real old knowledge dont know about the internet or forums.
The sad thing is the younger generations just think the internet is gospel and the old ways are forgotten.
Even Hashish used to be cured and aged now its just pressed and out the door.
Sugar is used in shisha to flavor tobacco so its not hard to imagine it being used in pot also.
These days its all about appearance and flavor the high is secondary to a lot of folks.
To me its only about the high.
To quote a member here who's name I have forgotten "nice flowers are for valentines day"

T.H. Seed

Ok I will keep that in mind! I'm currently in a space with about 35-40% RH and warm temps. I was thinking those conditions plus combined with it being a pretty small plant might make cobbing quickly necessary. I've got the whole plant chopped and resting in a large paper bag and will check on it tonight to see how it's coming along.

ost

If it sweats a lot you may want to get it done
If you had a heavy sweat leaving a lot of moisture in the bag, especially if showing a great degree of colour change, you may want to dry it a bit more thoroughly than three hours the next few times you open to inspect. Say at least overnight or all day.
If it starts off fast it can be easy to underestimate how much further it will ferment in the upcoming few months of aging. Starting to dry well help stabilise the cob and control the degree of ferment.
I have a small white runtz ,think the whole plant cob 4 or 5 most likely be about 10 grams ea.

blondie

What comes to mind when I read this is the way certain tea is aged in at least China. It’s referred to loosely as cooked and goes through some type of sweating to age the tea. Seems it should be similar to cobbing.

islandpreservation

That is because most of the stuff on the internet originates from the US. The people with the real old knowledge dont know about the internet or forums.
The sad thing is the younger generations just think the internet is gospel and the old ways are forgotten.
Even Hashish used to be cured and aged now its just pressed and out the door.
Sugar is used in shisha to flavor tobacco so its not hard to imagine it being used in pot also.
These days its all about appearance and flavor the high is secondary to a lot of folks.
To me its only about the high.
To quote a member here who's name I have forgotten "nice flowers are for valentines day"
Yeah so true, no doubt the arcane knowledge of the hill tribesmen is vanishing. There is a grandpa in a hut somewhere who knows the cure. Time for a field trip or some good ol' trial and error :)

Most people never get to experience the side of cannabis that promotes deep intropsection, gives energy, and opens awareness to a magical cartoon world. All without a crash. In cannabis pop culture out there people eat up that glitter.

Latest posts

Latest posts