What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hunza and other less known landrace indicas?

Tripco

Recently, i found an old CW thread (Nepal/Pakistan Pure Strains) and there was talking 'bout Hunza strain from Karakorum mountain range (in its Pakistani part). @Mriko responsed to one post
"And I wouldn't call the Hunza plant Kush ones, they are pretty different from these one can find in the Hindu Kush. much much different and pretty unique."
I've never seen an Hunza plant. What's the main characteristics? Is it still an classic indica, but in her own way?
It seems that there is much more landrace sativas known by their original names than landrace indicas. Some indicas are known only as a "Nepalese indica", a "Chinese indica" or something like that.
So far i found these names for indica landraces:
Chitral, Laspur, Yarkhun (i asume that all these strains are very similiar because of their geographycal proximity), Kandahar, Mazar-i-Sharif, Kashmiri, Tadjikistani, Uzbeki (there's a name Tashkenti, but CannaBiogens Tashkenti is Uzbeki x Nl#?, right?), Xinjian and Yarkand (probably the same strain?), Ketama
And here's some i think, more commercial names:
Chinese indica (that's Reefermans strain, maybe the same with Xinjian/Yarkand), Burmese indica, Mongolian indica, Turkish (hashplant) indica, Lebanese indica, Nepalese indica, Himalayan (Golden) indica, North Indian indica (the last one might be the same with previous 2).
I didn't listed here Azerbeijani indica, 'cos no one mentioned it on the net (at least i couldn't find it) besides myself. I'm not sure if it's a real landrace, but i've seen it in outdoor grow and it's defenetly an indica, significaly different from any Kush or Uzbeki (as 2 ends of indica pheno spectrum).
And there's also a confusion about "Lowland Afghani" and "Highland Afghani". I consider these 2 terms as an attempt of commercial breeders to explain the wider area of origin of some strain (realy, there's a milions of growers who don't give much to original ancestry of strains they grow). Maybe even the breeders don't know the exact origin (a lots of Afghani genes have been in western world for 30 or more years). But which strains does realy refers to these terms? Is Mazar-i-Sharif an Lowland Afghani? And Highland Afghani might be Kandahar and other Afghani Kush strains?
And what's about Iran? They gotta have a bunch of indica landraces in their northern parts.

zamalito

Veteran
I cany give you any info on the hunza's indica plants but the reason there's so many more sativas is because indicas have been limited to a fairly small part of the globe until relatively recently. Hopefully the green mujaheed will reply. If he does I'm sure he'll answer much better than I.

G

I can't add anything to the Hunza discussion, but I believe Reeferman's Chinese Indica is from Yunnan?

deadM

More easy to wait with pictures of Mazar I shariff...

miscoloredun0.jpg

mis8111lk1.jpg

mis8112nr2.jpg

Thanks Mriko

Goyakla

Check Hebaria seeds.au. They have a fiiiiiiine landrace Indica from Tadjikistan named SHIRIN GOL.
A lot cheaper than Canna B. and others. Its very good both outside/inside. This coming from Denmark !!!!! Bloom appx. 1.9 - harvest IN DK - mid. oct. to
mid. nov. Excellent high- medical/relaxing and looooooong :)

Peace to all - we badly need it NOW!!!!

Goyakla

Tripco

@Okrascope, in RF strainguide for Chinese indica stands that she comes from southwest China (which might refer to Xinjian - chinese part of Turkestan), and Yunnan is more like southcentral China. But who knows.
That's the thing that confuses me about those ~~~ indica names. Saying like, Turkish indica, can be anything. It's a big country. But if we take a closer look, we might assume that it comes from some of rural mountain regions (and Turkey is full of mountain regions). It might come from Anatolia, or Ararat mountain, or coastal Taurus mountain, or...
Landraces usualy have geographical names (of an region, or city). Of course, there's exceptions, like Punto Rojo for example.
It's true what Zamalaito said that indicas comes from a raelatively small part of the globe. If we want to be "indica purists", we could say that true indica landraces comes only from Hindu Kush and from some parts of surrounding mountain ranges (like Karakorum, Himalaya and Pamir). But there's much wider area in which indicas are introduced before 20th century (probably from the Middle ages). Goin' from east - from Yunnan and Tibet, across Himalayas (northern Burma, northern Nepal, northern India, probably Butan too), Karakorum/Pamir/Hindu Kush (southwestern China, large parts of Tajikistan and northeastern Pakistan, most of Afghanistan) and further west to Uzbekistan, and finaly region around the Caspian Sea (Turkmenistan, northern Iran and Azerbeijan). I didn't count areas where indicas are introduced from the first half of 20th century up to now (Near East, Turkey, northern Africa).
Looking at the map, we can see only mountains, mountains and mountains in that area. We cann't expect Cannabis is grown on rocky tops and slopes. There's a lot of valleys with more or less fertile soil (probably more acidic than surroundings). Mriko will surely know better, but i presume every of that valleys, isolated enough from the others, has an unique strain.

zamalito

Veteran
Yes you're absolutely right tripco. But that is still a fairly small area when compared to the dispersal of sativa phenos which is pretty much the entire planet. I believe clarke says that indica was limited to afghanistan, pakistan and india until the 20th century. I believe Mriko says otherwise and I'd believe him. Mriko has mentioned several indicas exhibiting traits that I didn't think were possible in the indica gene pool though it gets really confusing since according to clarke cultivated Sativas were introduced from turkestan into afghanistan throughout the 1800's and sativas grow wild in parts of North india and pakistan. I've disagreed with clarke on this. The first thread I ever started here stated that I believe that what vavilov called cultivated drug sativas in afghanistan were actually larger longer flowering Indicas introduced from Russian and Chinese Turkestan and that clarke possibly misinterpreted Vavilov because his definition of Indica probably differed from Clarke's. This would mean that what modern drug cannabis cultivators call indica has been under cultivation for hashish for longer than 100-150 years. I'm in no place to correct mriko or Clarke on this though.

Deadm, is that mriko's mazar-i-sharif, the one with a long flowering period?

deadM

Yes zamalito it's Mriko's MIS..14/17 weeks flowering...

A tall and stretchy indica...(not as tall as most sativa i've done previously, but i've been surprised the first time)

JDOG6000

Veteran
I sure would like to hear about the Hunza also.
I got some Hunza beans chillin in the fridge.

zamalito

Veteran
Have you grown them outdoors yet? I'm curious as to when they trigger into flowering. I bet they have some serious cold resistance even if they come from a warmer region. Keep me posted on any experimentation you decide to do with this one.

JDOG6000

Veteran
This thread is inspiring me to pop a few of them.
I'll pop a few soon and let you all know how they do.

G

Mazar I shariff...thumbs up on that plant, you say its a indica, does she smoke like a indica, that type of buzz? leaf isnt lookin much like a indica, very nice. and very interesting.

ive read that some of the older afghans have sativa lookin plants in there populations. i had always figured that some of the afghans had been somehow hit with sativa pollens at some point in there history. seemed to make since, as ive smoked a few afghans that have a nice head to um. never have seen one though, till now.

just recently found a strange plant outta OGbubs DC offerin. DC as ya all know is a old ghani, inbred like a mofo. plant i have is like a thai, lol. she will flower under 24/0 if not given the root space, and will toss bananas in flower with a small can, or any extreme changes in enviorment. thin sativa leaf sets all through out its growth, and stretch(seed plant) like a sativa.

have a few cuts veggin up for another shot at flowerin till finish. made it to 50 some days last run i think, chopped due to the nanners. plant had a fruity citrus aroma and taste, wasnt even close to done yet.

G

zamalito said:
I believe clarke says that indica was limited to afghanistan, pakistan and india until the 20th century.

im not up on alot of the history as you guys are, but one thing sticks in my mind is every know and again you will see what alot of growers call a chinese trait, that you see in many different lines.

the bud growth in the center of a fan leaf. i dont know for sure, but thats what ive read a few times.

just lookin at a chart of the migration of early man, its possible for just about anything takin place with MJ. seeds traded throught the world really. as they populated the planet, seeds that were carried out of the cradle of man, adapted to the enviorments they were introduced to. they prolly picke dup different types as they traveled and planted in different locations. some made it and adapted others didnt,

if you could trace the plants DNA, as they have with man, we would all know just how MJ populated the planet. just dont seem to be the funds for science to study this important subject, wonder what the reason would be for that

zamalito

Veteran
To me it looks like a picture of a fairly normal afghan. Though the 17 weeks of flowering doesn't seem normal. What did the thai deepp chunk pheno look like?

G

hey Zam, heres the plant from cut in veg.......

and here she is in flower from seed.....

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
Heya fellas,Hashish goes into a lot of the origins and migrations of different genetic lines..How it was carried to different regions to further the Hash trade..
Take care..............................CC

zamalito

Veteran
Yeah that is an oddball alright. Did it come from the htc or the tom hill? I remember ogbub mentioned an odd dc pheno that he'd seen once. I can't remember what that pheno was though. It was different enough that he thought it could've been an odd random pollination but if this is the same pheno I guess not. Its possible those genes could've been introduced in california. It amazes me how simetimes phenos appear that are totally different than anything else from the same generation.

G

zamalito said:
Yeah that is an oddball alright. Did it come from the htc or the tom hill? I remember ogbub mentioned an odd dc pheno that he'd seen once. I can't remember what that pheno was though. It was different enough that he thought it could've been an odd random pollination but if this is the same pheno I guess not. Its possible those genes could've been introduced in california. It amazes me how simetimes phenos appear that are totally different than anything else from the same generation.

these came from the HTC, gifted seconds. its definitly a different plant then im used to in the DC.

i was thinkin maybe Bubs outdoor may have got hit with somethin else, seems there would of been more in the beans he released in other grows.

dont know what it is, lol, but ill give her another flower run, gonna have to be some special smoke to stay around with all the excentricities she has.

heres a shot of one of her sisters finished, another sister still flowerin, but is a straight DC plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts