What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cut off 2 top fan leaves

garyw

I have 3 plants growing outdoors since June 1st. They are just over 2' tall I topped them about a week ago and now each divided into two tops.Today I took two of the top fan leaves off each plant so I could get more and faster growth to the new tops. also the top fan leaves were about 9" long and 1 1/2" wide on each leaf and they were shading the lower leaves. I know the fan leaves bring alot of nutes to the top of the plant and they are needed but I only took the top two below the new tops. will that bring more growth to the new tops? Or did I screw up? https://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popup.php?e=vB_Editor_001#https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=77613&pictureid=1868571

troutman

Seed Whore
I have cut off fan leaves many times. :tiphat:

What will happen is the branches below the fan leaves will grow faster.

garyw

Good thanks for the reply I was also hoping it would send growth to the new tops I am trying like everyone else to get more bud and higher quality before foul weather and chances of mold and disease comes from cold and wet winters here in Oregon and elsewhere.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Me too and it's only a problem in a really hot environment, as the large fan leaves help the plant to stay cool.

troutman

Seed Whore
Actually, it's a good way to cause a plant to become a bush if you have the time.

Don't take more than one pair of fan leaves until the plant recovers though.

It's also best to do all plant training prior to flowering as well.

garyw

I did super crop limbs to create knuckles and only broke one after the limb leaves did not die I taped it and it is still growing. The rest are doing well and now get more sunlight.

Latest posts

Latest posts