What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I've been thinking...

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Big plants are a pain in the ass to deal with, especially in DWC buckets... and even more so when you have 4+ stuffed into a tent. Also theres just no room to add things in and move stuff around without disturbing things, which can go downhill fast. So essentially a lot of waiting and less experimenting and discovery because of space and time. And all those plants and leaf to trim at one time when you harvest... the worst...

Why not do it a different way, I thought to myself... I mean, this is only personal after all, not some huge commercial operation. I'm tired of dealing with these big ass plants and having my tent maxed out and unavailable for 2-3+ months.

I think the way to go is to make a few (3 or 4) large bubble cloners of sorts with a whole bunch of sites (I haven't decided on a number yet, but maybe 24 sites per container) and just grow little foot/foot and half tall buds straight from rooted clones. I can add in new ones every week and takes out others as they finish... try a bunch of different strains at a time... have a more perpetual harvest of sorts. In the end I'd really just be harvesting less, but more frequently. Seems to me it would be infinity easier to deal with overall and I could have a lot more fun.

I haven't figured out what container to use yet, but something like this sprayed painted black (https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-30-Inch-Wrapping-Paper-Storage-Box-Clear/33154123) is what I'm leaning towards... really long and narrow and easy to move, but has a fairly decent depth for the water, but not too deep. Remember, small plants here. Have three of those on some sort of stands so they are at an easy height to access. Done deal.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or ideas? Anyone out there doing something like this?

:tiphat:

Last edited:

WelderDan

Veteran
I did something similar. A big ass plastic tub. 12 4" holes as I recall, 4 dual outlet air pumps.

Two things I learned:

1 - use two tubs, one inside the other. The sides bulged due to the water weight and the top did not want to stay on when I only used 1.

2 - Run the same strain in all the holes. Otherwise you can't adjust for height like with individual buckets.

Now with a shallow tub you might not have to worry about #1. And the roots intertwine, so aside from the height adjustment problems in #2, if the strains have different finish times, you can't remove the early finishers easily.

But it will work. I did several runs in it. Depending on the volume, you may have to keep a closer eye on ph an nutrient levels, but like any other method, it just takes a little dialing in.

G

Gr33nSanta

Ive been growing perpetual for years, about to go back to cycles, way harder to manage pest if you never get to start over.

RockinRobot

You're going to have a couple of issues trying to do DWC that way. First, as someone already mentioned, different stages of growth require different nutrient levels.

Secondly, and perhaps more important, as each pot gets chopped down there is no way you're going to be able to untangle the roots from the harvested plants from those still growing.

You can still do small plants in a system like that as SOG but I wouldn't suggest trying perpetual with multiple plants in a single container.

As for that tote in your initial post I have been using these under-bed storage totes as flood trays for years. Just silicone the holes where the handles are.

https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-74-qt-ultra-clear-under-bed-box-with-gray-lid-latches/-/A-14758435

Sport Farmer

Veteran
Hey thanks for the responses guys. All good points and suggestions! This really helps me work through the idea as everyone has a different perspective and experiences.

WelderDan - Very helpful comment, man! Appreciate your insight!

Lester Beans - Indeed!

Gr33nSanta - Probably true if you have pests, but thankfully I am blessed with a clean garden free of any pests. Been this way for years now. I'm pretty anal about keeping my stuff clean. So no worries for me there.

PetFlora - I have not seen your thread, buddy... but I will take a look at it later tonight when I'm settling down and doing my reading.

I'm all ears for more suggestions and possibilities! I like hearing everyones input as this helps refine the vision. Thanks guys!!

Last edited:

MrBungle

Every time I try to get creative it ends up costing me yield, and months to catch back up...

In my opinion, stick with what has been working for you, even if it is a pain.... its not as painful as staring at empty jars :)

Sport Farmer

Veteran
You're going to have a couple of issues trying to do DWC that way. First, as someone already mentioned, different stages of growth require different nutrient levels.

Secondly, and perhaps more important, as each pot gets chopped down there is no way you're going to be able to untangle the roots from the harvested plants from those still growing.

You can still do small plants in a system like that as SOG but I wouldn't suggest trying perpetual with multiple plants in a single container.

As for that tote in your initial post I have been using these under-bed storage totes as flood trays for years. Just silicone the holes where the handles are.

https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-74-qt-ultra-clear-under-bed-box-with-gray-lid-latches/-/A-14758435

I missed your posts typing up my previous one! :biggrin:

Yes, of course! The idea was that each bin would have different strains! There's no way I could run different strains in one bin but I guess the way I typed up my initial post made it seem this is what I was suggesting. Sorry for the confusion everyone! What I really meant was that It would allow for this kind of experimenting and adding more clones in every week and the ability to run more stuff in my tent at one time. My nute levels are MUCH different for each strain I'm running, so they will have to be in separate bins, there's no other way. One of my strains I cant get it over 500-600ppm without it getting unhappy. The GLC wants something like 900-1000 depending on the stage of growth. Big difference there!!!

I appreciate the link and suggestions!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Ive been growing perpetual for years, about to go back to cycles, way harder to manage pest if you never get to start over.
Pest control is the main reason I advise people not to go perpetual. If you're ok with poisoning your cannabis, perpetual is easy to maintain. lol

Easy7

Veteran
Perpetual harvests with hydro is a no no. As mentioned the nutrients and also light distance. Why not sog? Run a bunch sog 3 days under 18 the flower them like they should. It's the ease and end results that matter most. Sog is cheaper as well due to short veg times.

G

Gr33nSanta

Pest control is the main reason I advise people not to go perpetual. If you're ok with poisoning your cannabis, perpetual is easy to maintain. lol

been doing it for years without ever starting over, controlled pest with beneficial insects only and never spray a thing (ok, water sometimes) but I was having to spend way too much money on bugs.

Latest posts

Latest posts