What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow light help

Bloom SA

Howdy folks. Two questions:

1. Been reading up a lot on CMH grow lights. Here in South Africa, you will pay through your ass for these. Is there such a thing as a CMH bulb that works on an old HPS magnetic ballast with ignitor? I know new CMH bulbs use square waves so it may be a long shot.
2. I use HPS with magnetic ballasts. I want to put some 6500k LEDs onto a seperate timer but within the same array. Basically so that HPS turns on first and 3 hours later the leds kick in, then the same process happens the other way round at the end of the "day" cycle- my theory being this should mimick sunrise and sunset with the colour change of light throughout the day. The ratio is 4x400w HPS at 2200k, 4x100w LED floods with 6500k. What I want to know is a) is the ratio correct?, b)is the sunrise/sunset theory correct?, and c) will the led floods work as daylight bulbs? Here is a link to the LEDs I want to try https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/318746114/100W_LED_FLOOD_LIGHT.html

RockinRobot

No CMH will not work with the magnetic ballast.

Your best bet will be to wait until EyeHortilux releases their new Ceramic HPS 600w bulb. It's supposed to work in existing HPS 600w systems. I believe they are shooting for July release.

I was thinking about replacing all my HPS with CMH until I heard about these bulbs. Now I'm going to wait and try them first. Cheaper than replacing fixtures and ballasts.

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran

Your best bet will be to wait until EyeHortilux releases their new Ceramic HPS 600w bulb. It's supposed to work in existing HPS 600w systems. I believe they are shooting for July release.

I was thinking about replacing all my HPS with CMH until I heard about these bulbs. Now I'm going to wait and try them first. Cheaper than replacing fixtures and ballasts.

awesome! thanks so much for this idea!

Nice a try

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
You are overthinking this way to hard man, You can do amazing things the tried and true way of indoor growing...dont reinvent the wheel...an overhead 400w and led side kicks ass.

Dr.King:
4 plants 3gal pots coco 2.5-3lbs 580 watts light.
It sure is achievable. Lots of top notch growers currently hitting that mark and above. Anytime anyone needs some information about how to hit 2+ gpw check my thread out or feel free to pm me, no worries :tiphat:.

My old keeper Chemdog. I was hitting 2.5-3 pounds with 4 rounds per year under 500 watts in a 5' x '5 x 7' tent.

Here Is Dr.king's Thread Hitting 2+ gpw going for more (Ace, Bog, GHS)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=318715

Latest posts

Latest posts