What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2018

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
What's the lineage of "Sprite"?

Black Lime Reserve x Ancient OG = Sprite

That's what I recall from the 2017 thread. It sounds amazing!

Schrews I'm sure there would be a market for your seeds. Biggest plants most of us have ever seen. With the yield and quality, you can't miss!

Looks like you are moving right along! Gardens look great!

Have a great day on the farm!

HorseBadoritiz

Glad to see you're doing another journal Schrews, I've got to get my outdoor grow fixes vicariously... and yours are always great. Thanks for sharing it, and good luck, though the way your plants and set up look, you probably won't need much!

Sticky Sat

Originally Posted by Shcrews
I disagree... My passion is for the plants themselves, their individual expressions such as flavor, color, structure, size, and their vibes... As soon as they are chopped down I lose that connection with them. I hate the drying/trimming/bagging process, and would love to skip it completely.

Same here... Have more interest for a sprout or a rooting clone than for a chopped ripe "whatever-the name-or-yield" :)

Beautiful job Schrews ! :tiphat:

wiesser

Hey Shcrews, looking great brother! I was wondering your opinion on those predator bugs you used last season for the russet mites, will you use them again this year as a preventative or at all? Swirskis right? What is your plan for this season to keep the russet/broad mites in check?
Thanks man!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Black Lime Reserve x Ancient OG = Sprite

That's what I recall from the 2017 thread. It sounds amazing!

Schrews I'm sure there would be a market for your seeds. Biggest plants most of us have ever seen. With the yield and quality, you can't miss!
thanks and yes it is amazing. Sprite is such a beautiful plant to grow, with outstanding flavor and yield. Very consistent flavor and structure too, no runts or baby nugs. We are setting up a seed project right now, crossing a Sprite female with a stud purple-stemmed Ancient OG f3 male. Purple Sprite is what we are calling that cross.

Glad to see you're doing another journal Schrews, I've got to get my outdoor grow fixes vicariously... and yours are always great. Thanks for sharing it, and good luck, though the way your plants and set up look, you probably won't need much!
thanks for stopping by. and a little luck never hurts!

Hey Shcrews, looking great brother! I was wondering your opinion on those predator bugs you used last season for the russet mites, will you use them again this year as a preventative or at all? Swirskis right? What is your plan for this season to keep the russet/broad mites in check?
Thanks man!
We are using predator mites this year, Swiirski and Andersoni mites applied monthly. We order sachets from arbico organics. they are easy to hang on the plants and cages. We also put some around the property in hopes that they will establish a local population. Anyone else have experience using predator mites? how do you apply them, what kind do you use, and why?

We had success battling the mites last year after we noticed an infestation by spraying with the essential oil blend from buildasoil, but that is kind of expensive so we will probably wait until flowering starts if we choose to use it as a preventative this year. Sulfur works too but is a bit harsh on the plants and cannot be sprayed in flower. Grandevo and Venerate seem to be in a lot of people's rotation, and we used them in our rotation last summer as well, but something about spraying dead bacteria creeps me out so i prefer to avoid them if possible.

Over the winter we also burned a lot of bushes on our property which seemed to be attracting the mites. I still plan to spray some problem areas with wettable sulfur when i get some extra time. If we keep the property bug-free then the the garden will stay bug-free too, is how i look at it.

theJointedOne

Veteran
spray food for the plants i'm assuming is what you mean... yes we foliar feed at least once per week. we can talk about that more..

Yup, thats what I meant :)

Im a big fan of foliage sprays, at least one every 3 days, wether that be nutrients/minerals or ipm.

caliprop215

Veteran
Plants are looking great . Keep up the hard work man! Ill be watching this for sure.

What you guys foliae feeding with? Teas? I heard plants take up almost just as much through the leaves compared to roots.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Yup, thats what I meant :)

Im a big fan of foliage sprays, at least one every 3 days, wether that be nutrients/minerals or ipm.
Some of the things we sprayed in the past (essential oils, GrandEvo, Venerate..) seem to be relatively harmless to the beneficial insects, whereas things like wettable sulfur are probably more harmful. However I am moving in the direction of using only predatory mites, and skipping the IPM sprays completely. Should i be doing the opposite instead? or using predator bugs and IPM sprays together?

Last year hazybulldog aka easygoing said he sprayed with grandevo (if i recall correctly) and didn't seem to hurt the predators but i dont think theres much other info out there about the interactions between predator mites and various IPM spray ingredients

What you guys foliae feeding with? Teas? I heard plants take up almost just as much through the leaves compared to roots.
No teas but we foliar-feed weekly with biomin calcium and AEA 2-part ... We also do a weekly root drench with tainio pepzyme as well as pacific-gro and some molasses , sometimes other things too. We might start foliar-feeding twice a week just to give the plants an extra boost, not much else to do up here anyway. peace!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
So things are moving along here, spring is almost over and the garden is planted and starting to grow. We still have to lay down the driplines and install cage supports but the majority of prep work for the big mounds is complete. We also planted our native soil plot with 50 plants, and I am feeling pretty good about our progress so far this season. The plants are healthy and the weather is good so if we stay on point it should be a good summer.

Our seeds are performing remarkably... the f3 and f2 Ancient OG's are the biggest and healthiest plants on the hill, and the Sprites, Purple Sprites, and Direwolves are right behind them... perfect structure and vigor, already growing an inch per day in every direction. The only other strains in our garden right now with that kind of power are the Snow Leopard (bodhi) and the Kaya's Dream (south fork).

LPtJJydl.jpg

1oC00Wil.jpg

5m3hJxSl.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
purple-stem Ancient OG f2

purple-stem Ancient OG f2

i really enjoy the purple-stem ones. so beautiful and such vigor! and the flavor is unreal, like alien candy. She already has her own character, emanating some serious vibrations and magnet-like attraction. It's plants like this that make me really love growing cannabis.

sQTMzVYl.jpg

stUX8Znl.jpg

FYBRklNl.jpg

fvY6pJ9l.jpg

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Whether to use IPM/essential oils, beneficial insects or both is an interesting thought. The way i see it the IPM/essential oils work as a preventative keeping the bad insects away and helping prevent infections. I like to stay proactive instead of reactive.