What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drying Powdery Mildew Infected Buds?

Bobby Boucher

Regardless, once PM turns to botrytis, you really need to cut your losses.

Problem is that where there is pm, there is often botrytis. It likes to hide in the bud, and even a tiny little bit of it will cause your dab to taste like moldy mold. It is an overwhelming and immediately distinguishable flavor, and dabbing it is f'n poisonous, I'm sure. Goes in da trash.

Trying to filter all that shit and pop it off without having it properly analyzed is.. unscrupulous..

If you are going to blast mold, keep it in your head stash. Problem solved.

Gry

uh huh

uh huh

https://www.shapingfire.com/podcast-feed/episode-28-botrytis-powdery-mildew-in-scientific-detail-with-guest-kevin-mckernanbe

Probably one of the most valid sources on PM I have found.

2 points made:

A) PM is not dangerous to humans when smoked, unless some uncommon allergic reaction.

B)PM is removed from ethanol extraction process.

That is not true, and you are citing a marketing group which calls themselves 'medical' as a source of expertise.

There is not a medical degree to be found in their supplied bios. With the name they chose, I would have thought they might have included an md within the group.

I recall a friend spending a couple of months in a hospital over a respiratory infection.

The antibiotics that were used were frankly brutal as hell on my buddy, who was a young healthy male at the time.

I can not even begin to imagine what the effect might be on those with a compromised immune system.

Good health is a very precious blessing.
I would urge anyone considering this to take a look at post # 21.

The man knows the subject well, and he is not promoting anything but caution.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Temps over 100F kill spores. A joint cherry or bic lighter hits 800F. As far as I know there is not 1 single case reported of someone having been proven to get a lung infection due to smoking something with powdery mildew. Fungi are everywhere, they are a part of life, it is too easy to assume oh a fungus that cant be good to smoke. Lets see some proof. I have not found any. People get lung infections all the time. People smoke weed all the time. Just cause someone smoked weed and got a lung infection doesn't mean cause and effect. 7 billion people on this plant. things are bound to happen in close time frame. thats not proof.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Regardless, once PM turns to botrytis, you really need to cut your losses.

Problem is that where there is pm, there is often botrytis. It likes to hide in the bud, and even a tiny little bit of it will cause your dab to taste like moldy mold. It is an overwhelming and immediately distinguishable flavor, and dabbing it is f'n poisonous, I'm sure. Goes in da trash.

Trying to filter all that shit and pop it off without having it properly analyzed is.. unscrupulous..

If you are going to blast mold, keep it in your head stash. Problem solved.

I have found PM on plenty of harvests with no botrytis found anywhere. And I have found Botrytis with plants that have no PM. I trim with the buds 1 foot from my head, and I actually wear a led headlamp, I trim every sugar leaf at the base. I spend 2 hours trimming 1 oz. I am inspecting it very thoroughly.

You guys can discredit my source, but it is more educated than anything you guys are providing - personal beliefs created to interpret own experience. I understand your motives. You don't want to hurt people, neither do I. But Im not going to jump to conclusions. The academic information is out there. Im sure this company is spending a lot more time learning about this than any of us.

Bobby Boucher

This topic has already been beaten to death here. A good business model would be to not grow moldy weed to begin with, or to at least grow enough weed to not have to worry about salvaging an ounce er two of mold.

Grow a more sativa dom strain and up your fan game.

It's cool to want to know. Science is cool. Bottom line though is that it doesn't make any sense in a good and ethical business model. If you carefully isolate all the visibly effected areas, and dry it out, you'd see we are all fretting over grams here, maybe oz's, but not lb's. It's just not worth it. If its really no big deal and a couple spores wont hurt you, then just consume it yourself. There shouldn't be that much of it to begin with.

I'll admit, I didn't listen to 5 seconds of the sermon, but the Wolf said that toxins get left back, and if I am remembering correctly, that those toxins are cancerous. His word is kinda law around these parts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts