What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sending clones - best way

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Ahhh, power of google. It is called "cloneshipper".

es2i2q2rti0.jpg

Where you buy them? No idea.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder what the limits are for the days a clone can survive in transit

It all depends on the shipping method used.

I'd be willing to bet that a clone could survive for a couple months, given the right amount of moisture... (think terrarium)

However, I wouldnt think a cutting would survive nearly as long. Maybe 2 weeks max...

I've taken cuttings out of the trash that were there for 3 days & they rooted just fine. Some cultivars are just survivors!

jahshaka

yes the dvd tissue paper works...just remember to vac seal the dvd cover. have recieved like that from a clone fairy!

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
It all depends on the shipping method used.

I'd be willing to bet that a clone could survive for a couple months, given the right amount of moisture... (think terrarium)

However, I wouldnt think a cutting would survive nearly as long. Maybe 2 weeks max...

I've taken cuttings out of the trash that were there for 3 days & they rooted just fine. Some cultivars are just survivors!

that is true, but also depends on the temperature, if its hot weather, cuts can be rotten in less than week. especially when most folks try to keep it moist somehow, but moisture helps rotting. I suggest to keep it dry as possible and send it in cold months-

Katsu

Veteran
Just reading through this thread again.

You really don't have to put that much work into sending cuts. They don't need to be rooted and they don't need any fancy packaging.

Take the cuts. Put them in a ziplock and press out the air. Label the baggy. Stick it in a DVD case and send. That's it.

The only issue is outside temperature and shipping time. If it's really hot, they'll start to rot if it takes too long and if it's really cold, they'll freeze. Either way, additional moisture is not going to help so I DO NOT recommend spraying them OR wrapping the stem in a moist paper towel.

Any doubts? Ask the heads in the UK how the Bubba, Chocolate Trip, and ECSD made it across the pond.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Just reading through this thread again.

You really don't have to put that much work into sending cuts. They don't need to be rooted and they don't need any fancy packaging.

Take the cuts. Put them in a ziplock and press out the air. Label the baggy. Stick it in a DVD case and send. That's it.

The only issue is outside temperature and shipping time. If it's really hot, they'll start to rot if it takes too long and if it's really cold, they'll freeze. Either way, additional moisture is not going to help so I DO NOT recommend spraying them OR wrapping the stem in a moist paper towel.

Any doubts? Ask the heads in the UK how the Bubba, Chocolate Trip, and ECSD made it across the pond.
and dont cheap out! use next day or at the least 2 day air.

Katsu

Veteran
In the US, I never found 2 day necessary, but I did pony up the extra $$ when shipping across the pond :)

Somatek

Good for you OLD dude...doesnt change a thing about what I believe in..lol

Interesting choice of words using "what I believe in" instead of "what I know". On the one hand you're incredibly rude and dismissive but it's also very truthful to acknowledge that it's just your opinion.

Between the two I'll take Katsu's advice as he's been around for ages, has consistently proven to be a upstanding member of he community and it's based on solid science (i.e. moisture and air speed up decomposition).

Katsu

Veteran
Not to mention that my way takes WAAAAAY less time, and you could send a backup of your entire garden to somebody in minutes :)

Katsu

Veteran
I like the idea of the straw - I think I will incorporate this into next send. More discreet and a little extra protection :)

Try sending dry next time - if it's not freezing or really hot, you can send via regular or priority - they'll last a week in transit...

A cut, with just a top nub and no leaves, fits nicely inside a McDonnalds straw, 1 cut per straw (free at mcD:)) a few straws vac-packed & put inside bubble mailer> https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/readypost-10-12-x-16-inch-bubble-mailers-P_843062... I have done this with wet paper towel but good case for none..

for best results, NEXT DAY MAIL option.. yes too, mail on the first working day of the week.. Mon, Tues Wed..

wutwut

Veteran
420giveaway
what is best way try to root those received cuts? cup of water, rockwool or soil?