What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to harvest!?!?!?!

shorty68

yep got this already and is bad ass . a must have for any grower new or old. works great when lookn for mites and such if getting clones from dispencerys.no offense but sum out there just dont care bout the plant.

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
look ok too me But I dont know about it being done I would say yea. But it can got a week or so longer

WauiGreen

Great thread glasspacked. Helped me a lot about 2 weeks away from my second harvest and still only sort of know what I'm looking for, great pics. Thank you.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
I want to cross my Power skunk with a kush. Either ogkush #18, deepchunk, purekush, or bubba. I think with the skunk-sativa(ppp)-and-kush it will be the best smell from all parents, potency from the kush, and yeild from the PPP.

Greenheart

Veteran
A buddy of mine has that style. It works but is a pain. I purchased the 10x,15x,20x combo lens but it wasn't the level I wanted. I then got a $3 loop off the net that was 30x. Works well but small. Struck gold when I picked up a second hand telescope with interchangable lenses. 50x, 100x. The scope pretty much sits in a box but the lenses are used often.

They can be found for about $15-20

-GH-

MMJcali

ive heard mixed things about the cloudy vs amber thing.

some people say that amber is no good, you want mostly cloudy because amber is just degraded thc. they claim that the effects (couchlock vs high) are not due to trichome color but instead genetics (sativa vs indica). ie, if you cut an indica with 70% cloudy trichs, it will be a couchlock, and if you cut a sativa with 70% cloudy trichs it will be uppity.

then there are some that say if you wait til the trichs are 50% amber you will get a couchlock indica, but if you grow an indica and cut with 10% amber you get an uppity buzz.

I'm really confused here...can someone with more knowledge than I chime in?

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
ive heard mixed things about the cloudy vs amber thing.

some people say that amber is no good, you want mostly cloudy because amber is just degraded thc. they claim that the effects (couchlock vs high) are not due to trichome color but instead genetics (sativa vs indica). ie, if you cut an indica with 70% cloudy trichs, it will be a couchlock, and if you cut a sativa with 70% cloudy trichs it will be uppity.

then there are some that say if you wait til the trichs are 50% amber you will get a couchlock indica, but if you grow an indica and cut with 10% amber you get an uppity buzz.

I'm really confused here...can someone with more knowledge than I chime in?

I think a sativa at anything less then 80% done is a waste of time. You will be sad so dont do it. lets just say that make you relax and sit back feeling is the amber glands and that heady stuff is just that potent but not mature bud. I know this because we harvested about 7 kinds last year and they all finished at different times and the amount of sat vs indica isnt much. Plant I thought were sativa ended up being a little less so and the ones I'd say were indica grow more like sativa's but much denser.

MMJcali

cool...so theoretically speaking, if I grew a 100% sativa and chopped it when glands were 50% amber, it would be a more relaxing high?

that would explain a lot...my old dealer just loved chopping his plants early, no wonder I got so many panic attacks off his stuff

SKAGITMAGIC

LED lite magnifier microscope, 60x

LED lite magnifier microscope, 60x

I bought this off of Ebay today, I have the radio shack pocket microscope, I found it difficult to use, the light was weak, under the 600 MH I could see the trics clearly, I see them good enough with the 30x21 mm, I'm hopeing this 60 kicks butt, I won the bid for a dollar twenty five 4.99 shipping, Has anyone used the LED lit scopes??

100% brand new
Use: Industry, Circuit board and printing, Medicine, Horticulture, Coin and stamp, Geography, Education, Home and office
Compact design provides 60X magnification
Illuminated by LED and ultraviolet lamp
Bright LED light of the Magnifying Glass provides enough light at any dim conditions
With a faux leather pouch, can protect it from scratch, attrition, etc
The pocket size is convenience to carry, you can use it in everywhere and every time
Focus is adjustable up to 60X
Power Supply: 3pcs batteries (included)
Dimensiond(LWH): 3.6cm ×3.4Cm ×1.5cm
Color: Silver
Operation Instructions: put the specimen on a flat place, put the microscope on the specimen, let the specimen within the visual field of ocular, observe with ocular and adjust the focusing ring for best effect. If the light sensitivity is insufficient, turn on the power switch let the light shine on the specimen

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
that sound good should be sufficient. Just be careful using that on the plants. You cant go in the grow room at night with it or you might get hermie stuff from light leakage.

budlover123

microscopes are cool, but for seeing the trichromes 30x could be overkill, a 10x magnifier will likely have a nice, bigger lens to look through than a high powered one, and be plenty enough magnification to get a good look at them.

Also, you'll be able to keep a 10x magnifier a greater distance away from the plant to avoid disturbing any trichromes, they don't need built in lights because you don't have to get right on top of the subject and block all the light to see with it.

Plus, many 10x magnifiers are basically just a lens, they won't break as easy as that one from radioshack will.

SKAGITMAGIC

a 10x isn't strong enough to see what i'm looking for, I have a couple 10x loupes and i can't say for sure if the trics are clear or milky or whatever, anyway i'm holding a couple loupes in my hand the 30s much bigger than the 10, I do have a 6 1/4 power thats bigger than both of them, go figure.anyway the "could be overkill", and the will likelys tells me you can't really answer my question, Has anyone actually used the led lit scope?

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
yes i made this thread. So i'm your man. I like using my scope from radioS. IT's get small enough to see with anyone's eye sight. I generally stick somewhere close to 100X then generally back it down from there! I have also taken up-close pics with my olympus 12mp cam. and the scope it works well if you cant see it the camera probably can

señorsloth

Veteran
I thought i should mention, you shouldnt pick sugar leaves off the plant to check for trichomes! Since the leaves form crystals first, they tend to always mature on leaves first, for instance, when my buds were at 1 percent amber, 2 full weeks before harvest, the trichomes on the leaves range from 25 to 50 percent amber. And that is many strains, if you only use leaves to check for tricomes and ignore the buds you may end up picking much too early

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Perplexed. Help!

Perplexed. Help!

Two plants here. One is a Purple Diesel, the other Green Candy.

Purple Diesel:

picture.php

Green Candy:

picture.php

The pistils on each seem to actually be MORE than 50% turned.

Each plant (same age) is at the middle of week 5.

If I go by the pistils, they look damn-near to me.. But using the loupe (45x, as best I can, .. that thing makes me feel like an old fart with old fart eyes), the trichs APPEAR to be clear..Ish.. But this is my first time using a loupe..

I suppose the question is, .. Without y'all being able to see an up-close of the trichs, and judging by the pistils alone.. Am I crazy to think these will be done before 8 weeks, and probably sooner than later?!

Put it this way - MORE of the pistils on these two plants have turned than on my Blue Dragon, which is at day 53.

:dunno:

SKAGITMAGIC

they need to go alot further, probably 70 days.and thats from the day you can identify the female flower, usually 5 or 6 days after you switch to 12x 12, you start counting, them girls have alot of filling in to do.