What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Great Indoors, Outside.

Wow, that's beautiful bro. I'd really like to do something like that this at some point. The best of both worlds. I did a 1420 square foot greenhouse that was packed so tight that we were almost always getting brushed by branches and we managed to get 1/oz per square foot which is I guess the benchmark when you're doing just natural light.

I guess the gavitas will take care of the temps during the on period but have you done any calculations on how much it will cost per day to heat the greenhouse during the off period? I bought a couple modine hawtdags and they go through a heck of a lot of fuel. Any concerns about soil temps? Are your lights run off of the grid or a diesel generator?

Anyways, just beautiful man.....btw, I grew that Allen Wrench and I dug it. Looked just like indoor and had a very unique nose. It was the only strain in the garden that threw out some
nanners though so, might want to give it a look through now and again.

Peace bradah

Gavitas still dont get it hot enough to dodge the dew point.
THe heater can use up to 2.87 GPH when running at full capacity which is 400,000BTU.. With a 42 gallon tank and this cold snap, it is drinking a tank+ a day. Multiply that by 1.50 a gallon for off road (red)diesel when you buy 1,000 gallons or more. I have a 2000gallon diesel tank ..it helps....

Thanks for the heads up on the Allen Wrench
(Diesel x Trainwreck). When I used run the diesel back in 08-09 it would always throw nanners around week 5-6, I hate that shit. Damn that makes me a bit uneasy to think that Ive got 6 lights of Allen wrench right in the middle of the GH...heh

Fingers crossed I wont be hunting in the bush, pinching nanners!

Yea its really is the best of both worlds. With the tarp off I get nice winter blue x the gavita, the plants are blowing up.. Soil temps are steady 68-72F. I blast the heat and keep it at 80f+ during lights on. With 70 yards of soil I can turn the heater down to 65 at night and even if I run out of fuel before morning the GH stays a steady 50F. Lots of soil pays off heavy with reduced work load and heating costs.

Thanks for stopping by,

EG

Last edited:
NICE.
I am all about organic soil as well (why mess with a perfect[/] system anyway?)! I am just getting my feet wet in the matters though.
Is just clover fine with weed as a cover crop or a mix of cover crops is necessary?

Wylder

Thanks. Would running soil heating cords down your rows allow you to let your air temps dip more so you won't have to use as much fuel?

wallywombat

very impressive and clean looks like you have it all undercontrol, curious too see what phenotype of Chernobyl your running, in my top 5 strains , runs great indoors have done multiple runs, and outdoors she goes even better, good luck not that you need it mate

soil temps

soil temps

I saw two different accounts on IG yesterday who lost plants in greenhouse from cold weather. Some claiming you need radiant floors or in soil heating..So I double checked my soil temps to be sure.. My soil temps are 72-71F 6 inches deep.. and get down to 68 closer to the middle of the bed around a foot deep...

I only use my heater and lights to keep the soil warm, 0 problems keeping the soil warm this way..

THey are starting to settle in and have shaken the transplant heebie jeebies... The cover crop is an ultra thick mat now...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

With the cover crop laying low after hand watering you can see the size of the plants a bit better..

picture.php

Raised the lights and had to throw the planks out...

picture.php

Trace & Micros

Trace & Micros

Anyone ever add trace elements to their soil?

Before planting I added manganese, Cobalt,Zinc,Solubor 20%... still need copper though, but Im hesitant to add CuSo4 while I have an active crop due to its inherent detrimental effect on roots. Ill wait til the end of this round before amending... Im paying the price now for amending the aforementioned in slight burning of tips and leaf edges. Appears to be mostly Boron burn but overall not to much to speak of. Im bothered by burnt tips and leaves showing stress..I strive for balance and its a tightrope when adding the finer elements to soil...Overall they will grow out of it and in the long run it will be well worth the OCD jitters I traded for long term plant health..

EG

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
very nice ..farm tek rules I had 4 of their greenhouses once...2 huge 2 small....i used hydronic heating in mine..yeehaw

I Just hope I get at least two lbs of Oats per light and Im good. Throw in a lb of peas and Im crushing it!

Im not mowing the Oats in favor of laying them down as a mat. All in hopes of getting them to mature so that I can cycle them and build OM in the soil....

Try foliaring or light drench(1-2ml per gal) of Advancing Eco Ag's salute copper and other micros for fine tuning your feeds. I usually go with their Micropak as a foliar cause it's got em all mixed. Sea crop has many micros as well. GH lookin good.

@cannaScholar

Im pretty familiar with the AEA lineup. My take on the AEA stuff is that its all just band-aids and sports cream. If you dial the soil you dont need it, and AEA only leads you to using more band-aids. Thanks for the tip, I did say I needed a band aid...

FTR
Sea shield and Rejuvenate are awesome products ....

St. Phatty

That looks proper.

I was wondering about the overhead beams. I saw one greenhouse, they used plastic pipe which just bent because of the load etc.

This looks like metal pipes, probably pre-bent.

I have an area about 10 by 40 feet, that gets the best sun.

I was thinking about the 2016 season. Basically a smaller version of what was in your pictures and a few other growers' greenhouse pics.

With 2 concerns -
* Security. Asshole neighbor on one side. Need to make sure that if his knife cuts through the plastic, it meets something far more immovable. A layer of Aviary netting, on top of a layer of chain link fence mesh.
* Zoning. I hate paperwork.

Oh yeah - about the cover crop - is that grass grass or clover or something else?

I have seen people also lay down alfalfa straw to create a good cover.

The cover crop is Oats( looks like grass ) Clover, Vetch, and winter peas..

The lights are supported off the GH Purlins, they have not bent at all. Although we did give the ribs additional support so they would not bend..

You know what makes good neighbors? Great Fences.

EG

We attached pieces of 2x4 to the purlins with U bolts because of the orientation of the light. Then hung the lights from the 2x4. If this greenhouse wasnt temporary I would not have chosen to use wood in the faming of the ends or anything other than the beds... Im so over fabric pots, its not even funny..

Latest posts

Latest posts