What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

long term storage thread

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Whats the best option for a moderately priced system for holding onto lbs for months at a time without reducing quality? Have heard of nitrogen storage and would like to learn more.

Also would food saver bags in the fridge work well?

nuskool89

IMO no. Used both to aid in cure and, freshen up store bought flowers in multiple cases with multiple strains resulting in positive expierences.

Only 4 months regarding length of time in storage before consumption so far; but it was really nice and essentially no shake. No mildewy damp smells either accross multiple strains. I am fairly OCD, so I notice tiny details/changes, and so far they work consistantly.

epicorchard

Triple Vac Seal with a Westin commercial sealer and then store underground. A basement should work, but a buried water tight container is best. I've seen guys bury everything from 55gal drums to septic tanks, and even reinforced cargo containers. The key here is a cool dark place. Product stays fresh for 12-18 months. I mean picky ass dispensery fresh.

WTFisLoud

After curing, I would use the huge mason jars (with the rubber seal that have a latch) but a twist top would work fine; then into the freezer. Stayed fresh for months.

epicorchard

After curing, I would use the huge mason jars (with the rubber seal that have a latch) but a twist top would work fine; then into the freezer. Stayed fresh for months.

Yea... not really viable for commercial applications. I think its a great method for storing keif or hash.

Then theres always the carbon foot print associated with running multiple ganja freezer year round.

My two cents

theJointedOne

Veteran
imho you may want to remove as much moisture as possible from your product, before sealing up.

moisture can easily be added later. Think hydro tables, a bunch of open turkey bags, and a misting fog machine lol

would simply storing in airtight containers filled with co2 not work? not pressurized co2 but simply opening a co2 tank at very low pressure with the hose being used like a wand filling the weed filled containers then immediately capping them. if all the o2 is displaced with co2 then no further degradation should occur.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Can I use moisture barrier bags with my regular foodsaver vac sealer? I want to try them because I have read they are much better for longer term, never lose the seal that the regular bags do.

Relentless

Veteran
very interesting thread oceangrownkush. Ive had a few bagged up over the summer.. I opened up and resealed em a month ago..

anyone else have recommendations? $5k is a bit hard to swallow lol

Texan

for a personal stash. This is what you need.

1. Wine Cooler with temp adjuster
2. Mason Jars with air tight seal
3. Boveda packs.

Boveda packs are legit. They are made by a company who has been making them for cigars for a long time. People with 20k+ Cigar collections trust them, so you can as well. I have never heard a complaint about them.

You don't need a waste of money Cvault. You can just toss a Boveda pack into your mason jar. Cvault is a separate company that is just selling metal pots with air tight lids.

Boveda is one of the few companies that started in another industry, and has openly embraced the Cannabis community. Creating packs just for medical cannabis.

Set your Wine cooler to 54- 55F. Toss in your mason jars with the appropriate Boveda packs.

That is essentially connoisseur grade storage.

They will cure for as long as they are stored this way.