What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil analysis crop code?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Hey ya'll I'm planning on getting a soil analysis done at our local college and they have some crop codes you can use to get recommendations for soil additives. Unfortunately they don't list marijuana, even though this is a legal state, so I am left with a list of other things that might or might not coincide with marijuana. Does anybody know which of these, if any, would be useful for making comparisons with the nutrient profile of weed? I can get up to 3 recommendations so it doesn't have to be just one. I was leaning towards the Flowers, roses, and Herbs and the Home Vegetable Garden. They seemed generic enough to cover weed too.

Flowers, Roses & Herbs
Home Vegetable Garden (mixed)
Deciduous Trees, Shrubs & Vines-Establishment
Deciduous Trees, Shrubs & Vines-Maintenance
Needleleaf Trees & Shrubs-Establishment
Needleleaf Trees & Shrubs-Maintenance
Acid-loving Trees, Shrubs, & Groundcover-Establishment
Acid-loving Trees, Shrubs, & Groundcover-Maintenance
Home Blueberries-Establishment
Home Blueberries-Maintenance
Home Brambles-Establishment
Home Brambles-Maintenance
Home Strawberries-Establishment
Home Strawberries-Maintenance
Home Grapes, American Varieties-Establishment
Home Grapes, American Varieties-Maintenance
Home Grapes, European Varieties-Establishment
Home Grapes, European Varieties-Maintenance

You could pay Logan Labs $25 to do your test. They will automatically make recommendations based on Albrect ratios. Albrect ratios work great for cannabis while reducing pest pressure and mold. A lot of growers use it.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could pay Logan Labs $25 to do your test. They will automatically make recommendations based on Albrect ratios. Albrect ratios work great for cannabis while reducing pest pressure and mold. A lot of growers use it.

They’ll ask what you’re amending for too.

Agronomists have a pretty good idea what certain crops will use throughout a season.
Corn uses different nutes through the season than broccoli or carrots so recommendations are made accordingly.

Remember, Albert Ratio is a ‘base’ starting point of known, good for just about everything, soil amendments.
It will deplete differently with different crops.

redlaser

Veteran
Since cannabis is an annual, you would want recommendations for annuals.

Vegetables, flowers, and herbs would be closest.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'd rather just drop my soil off down the road than have to mail it off, but I'll keep the albrect ratio stuff in mind thanks.
They’ll ask what you’re amending for too.

Agronomists have a pretty good idea what certain crops will use throughout a season.
Corn uses different nutes through the season than broccoli or carrots so recommendations are made accordingly.

Remember, Albert Ratio is a ‘base’ starting point of known, good for just about everything, soil amendments.
It will deplete differently with different crops.
Yeah I'm hoping next year they can just have a box to check for Marijuana. I was gonna bring it up with whoever I'll see down there.
Since cannabis is an annual, you would want recommendations for annuals.

Vegetables, flowers, and herbs would be closest.
Cool thanks I'll be getting that one and the garden one I think.

I'm a newbie to weed but I often have tests done on my agricultural land. I would think choosing corn, oats or rye would be a simular comparison as they're all nitrogen loving annual pants, certainly don't pic clover or beans as their on opposite side of need scale (fixate own N from the atmosphere).

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'm a newbie to weed but I often have tests done on my agricultural land. I would think choosing corn, oats or rye would be a simular comparison as they're all nitrogen loving annual pants, certainly don't pic clover or beans as their on opposite side of need scale (fixate own N from the atmosphere).
Unfortunately I can only get suggestions for the listed things in 100 square foot areas, the other amendment recommendations are all per acre, and that's just huge compared to the area I'll have available. I'll use the third choice for Oats, Barley, Rye, but 100 square feet is 0.00229568 of 1 acre. Would it really be as easy as multiplying their recommendation numbers by 0.00229568? I plan on straight up asking whoever I drop the test off with about the chances of them doing recommendations for marijuana next year. It's legal now and I'm sure it's information people want.

troutman

Seed Whore
Ask them if they got a Cannabis soil test. :laughing:

I got my new guerilla patch laboratory tested last Fall and I used a Garden Soil Test. :)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unfortunately I can only get suggestions for the listed things in 100 square foot areas, the other amendment recommendations are all per acre, and that's just huge compared to the area I'll have available. I'll use the third choice for Oats, Barley, Rye, but 100 square feet is 0.00229568 of 1 acre. Would it really be as easy as multiplying their recommendation numbers by 0.00229568? I plan on straight up asking whoever I drop the test off with about the chances of them doing recommendations for marijuana next year. It's legal now and I'm sure it's information people want.

Grasses are low intensity feeders compared to cannabis. Oats also fix nitrogen.

You need to test for plants that have similar needs to cannabis. This is why the age old “tomato” crop has been used in the past as a reference. Tomatoes are fast growing high intensity feeders & are (typically) annual plants.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Yeah they don't actually list tomatoes for the small gardens, which is stupid to me. They do list it for industrial scale though, I could throw it on as my third recommendation hopefully. I hope the mixed garden and flowers, roses, and herbs is kind of close. Also troutman I am definitely gonna be asking them about a marijuana test for next year.

troutman

Seed Whore
The garden soil test will suffice. :tiphat:

It's not like your trying to grow on frozen Viking poop land or anything. :biggrin:

M

moose eater

Mixed veggies comes closest in my opinion. I tended to use a ph and nutrient template that resembled 'maters early on in my efforts (lower N, higher p, and moderate k), as the requirements are very close to cannabis in bloom, and many of the 'mixed' veggies will either be things that like a straight-across n-p-k (often high on all 3), or higher n, for those leaf veggies that don't care for too much p or k.

If there's room for special requests or notes on their form, ask them to focus on a tomato mix, but otherwise, mixed veggies.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Trout I can barely grow shit in a controlled tent environment. It would take some sort of growing god to grow something in frozen viking poop land :D And yeah moose I will definitely make a note on there that it's tomato heavy. Or just tell them straight up it's weed. Depends on how uptight the guy seems :D

M

moose eater

if you're in Ma., then you may be risking little telling the guy it's cannabis, and letting him know the common template shared with tomatoes. My guess is that if he's part of a subsidized Federal grant outfit, such as Cooperative extension, or?? he may shy away, or if he has some personal bias where the weed revolution is concerned, he may get uptight.

Otherwise, you should be fine to be honest with him.

My guess is that for macro-nutes, for a mixed veggie crop, they're either speccing a 1-2-1, 1-1-1, or 2-2-2 ratio. Scant idea on the rest of it, other than they'll likely want to hold secondary and micro-nutes to moderate levels at most.

i.e. Some of my veggies seem to be able to eat LOTS of sulfur, while others flip me the bird when it's added in stout amounts.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
It's just the state college in Amherst, which is kind of a hippie town. I don't really see them caring too much since it's legal to cultivate for personal use here and the grow ops are gearing up just waiting for the legislature to figure out wtf. I can maybe see them worrying about it on the federal level, funding or whatever. I'm hoping I can talk to somebody down there and ask about n-p-k ratio and if they don't seem uptight just mention it's for marijuana growing. Thanks to everybody in this thread! :thank you:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I already dropped it off. I asked the lady today about it and she said it's a federal funding issue. She was listening to Hits from the Bong :D

Latest posts

Latest posts