What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing: jar "burping" times

NEED 4 SEED

I control 2 times a day and decide whether the process is quick enough. Then leave the jars open by sense and smell, going from 1 or 2 hours in the beginning to a few seconds in the end. You'll leave a personal signature in this process on your end-product so you better control 2 times a day! ;) If we're speaking mold or rot / bad smell, one lazy day without care is sometimes enough to ruin a whole jar. You do this for 2-3 weeks depending on the material, then you can loosen the regimen to only control one time a day... If the flowers are very dense make sure they are really dry in the end! Sometimes they feel dry from the outside when its still damp inside and late mold can appear making you loose it. Good luck and use your nose!

THC123

Veteran
I have never ever had mold in my jars, not even when I kept the jars closed without any aeriation for 7 months at 67% RH.

I have never ever had mold in my jars, not even when I kept the jars closed without any aeriation for 7 months at 67% RH.

Word. If you get mold in cure its already in everything you own.

The answer as to burping, depends on strain. What state I'm growing in, so many things. After the first week the opening of the jar is all about collecting data. The first week is all by ear. Too many variables to worship numbers.

NEED 4 SEED

Word. If you get mold in cure its already in everything you own.

The answer as to burping, depends on strain. What state I'm growing in, so many things. After the first week the opening of the jar is all about collecting data. The first week is all by ear. Too many variables to worship numbers.

Mold spores are everywhere. If you give them the right conditions, they will grow.

2011rex87

The original reply was on point. However, you would really have to tell us what region you live in and what the RH and temperature is in the room that the jars are stored and will be burped in. You also will want to tell us how wet or dry the product was when you put it in the jars to begin with. That will be hard to parse but try your best to describe it.

If your product was very wet when you put it in the jar... and your environment is very very dry 20 or less RH, you will burp the jar and all the wet air from the jar will come out and the 20RH air will rush in... You have to consider these things when you ask how often to burp to get a scientific answer. If your product was dry and the air in the room is dry... burp less often so that moisture builds inside... if your product was wet and the air in the room is wet... use a dehumidifier to bring the room RH down below that of the jar you are trying to burp. Cure Room RH and Temp versus how wet/dry your product already is going into the jar.. Let us know... You can also use the humidity bags/pouches sold at most hydro stores...

THC123

Veteran
This is true, in summer I always use a dehumidifier to bring the RH in the room from 70-80 to 50% before burping the jars.

If I would burp at 70 - 80% RH the weed would become wetter and the taste and aroma would be ruined for ever.