What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st time grower 3x3 tent help.

xMACMobMedz

Im going to start growing come first of the year and for the past few months I've been doing my fair share of research. Long story short I've decided a tent 3×3×6 ft tall due to overall space. I recently purchased Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Growers Handbook and im going to build the tent myself using 3/" PVC and panda poly ffilm and velcrow. The book has tons of information on just about everything you need to know but my question is not answered of course lol.

So here's my list of questions:
Any and all responses are greatly appreciated.

1. How many plants can I grow for maximum yield in a 3x3 tent?

2. Is 1000w too much lighting? (was thinking of using metal halide lighting for more potency I know it will cut down over all yield)

3. How are you distributing/monitoring the CO2?

4. Any other tips you might have or advice for a new kid trying to master this beautiful art. If you google search or read how to grow from any blogger or Phd you will spend 10k for a 4 plant grow op on stuff you could have built or made for a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks everybody.
Keep on toking! :thank you:

Tri_Cho_Me

Im going to start growing come first of the year and for the past few months I've been doing my fair share of research. Long story short I've decided a tent 3×3×6 ft tall due to overall space. I recently purchased Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Growers Handbook and im going to build the tent myself using 3/" PVC and panda poly ffilm and velcrow. The book has tons of information on just about everything you need to know but my question is not answered of course lol.

2. Is 1000w too much lighting? (was thinking of using metal halide lighting for more potency I know it will cut down over all yield)

4. Any other tips you might have or advice for a new kid trying to master this beautiful art. If you google search or read how to grow from any blogger or Phd you will spend 10k for a 4 plant grow op on stuff you could have built or made for a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks everybody.

1. Depends on strain and grow method. Also, do you want the whole space filled, or do you want a lane to stand and be able to work/water, etc.?

2. I don't think 1000w is too much. Does it have a dimmer? Also, make sure you have the ability to cool the tent appropriately.

3. I have a small enough grow, and am not super duper serious about it, so I don't do anything with CO2. I spend time in the tent with them as much as possible. Plus there are other factors like the plant itself and your soil/mulch that determine CO2 levels.

4. Be patient. Keep it simple. Don't over water.

Good luck! :tiphat:

Tri_Cho_Me

elios

Hi

1. approximately aroud 4-5 plants, it dipends from the strain that you use.. if you d plant some auto you can put more, but if you plant some native sativa it will take all the space! lol
So first of all you have to decide the strain.. after calculate how many
2. it's not important the watt, but the 'lumen' and the 'light frequency'. Bloom and flowering need red and blue spectrum of light.
3. Co2 is important for the photosynthesis, but with few plant in my opinion is not important control the level of co2.. rather is important usig an extractor with a carbonium filter for the smell

Good grow ;)

troutman

Seed Whore
I have a 600 watt light in a 4'X4' and it can get warm if I don't watch it.

I would be scared to use a 1000 watt fixture in a 3'X3' tent like you plan to.
If you have excellent air circulation or air cooled reflector that may help keep
the temp down.

1000 watts divided 9 sq. ft. = 111.11 watts per sq. ft = overkill in my opinion.

600 watts divided by 9 sq. ft. = 66.67 watts per sq. ft= very good

I say go with the 600 watt light. :tiphat:

xMACMobMedz

Definitely indica maybe like a cheese something feminized.
How do I know what lights emit blue and red lumens?

Thanks for all the tips

xMACMobMedz

I have no prior knowledge or experience with lighting the furthest I got was a sprout a few times then mom caught on and they got disposed lol.
Now I have my card and my own place so I want to do it the most efficient way possible.

I guess the right question is how to get the most potency and yeold out of a 3x3 tent.

Thanks every body

troutman

Seed Whore
Pick a good Sativa X Indica hybrid for your 1st grow.

All I can tell you is you'll get better with each grow.

So don't beat yourself on this 1st try.

NorCalGro

I have a 1000watt in a 4x4 tent my temps are on the money with an air cooled hood an a couple inlines however a 4x4 would be the absolute smallest for a 1000 definitely go with 400-600watts preferably 600. I did a lot of research as well as having several grows under my belt before I made my purchase so u can take my word for it�� Also go MH for veg HPS for flower higher yeild and less leafy buds this method is tried and true.

xMACMobMedz

I have a 1000watt in a 4x4 tent my temps are on the money with an air cooled hood an a couple inlines however a 4x4 would be the absolute smallest for a 1000 definitely go with 400-600watts preferably 600. I did a lot of research as well as having several grows under my belt before I made my purchase so u can take my word for it�� Also go MH for veg HPS for flower higher yeild and less leafy buds this method is tried and true.

Ok so 600 watt MH for veg and 600 watt HPS for flowering. Gotcha. Could you send some photos of your tent if you dont mind sharing some of the ticks for air flow and intake/outtake.

Sticking with a Indica dominate hybrid with 600 Watts and noones to concerned about the co2 so ill leave that alone for now. What temp would you suggest for veg and what temp with flowering

HarvestMoon303

I have an 600 Watt Dimmable Digital HID Ballast that can run both MH and HPS.

I can run it at 50%,75% and 100% power as well.

I agree with the 600w (or 400w) HPS/MH if you go for HID lights, but I would run 1 315 CMH (like a phillips agro) to save some cash on electric. The bulbs are also good for about 2 years, it's less heat than a 600w HID, and I guarantee it's less stretch. 1000w is just too much for a 3x3 tent. I don't think that it's possible to cool a 1000w in a 3x3 space.

If you needed to keep costs down, or already had a HID setup, I would just run a 600w HPS for everything. No need to swap out the bulbs. IMHO there is a questionable ROI on a MH bulb. One 600w "Blue" from hortilux is over $115, just for the bulb.

ICmag has shown me some amazing plants being grown with CMH, LED, or T-5 all through flower. I know people who only run either MH (all through flower as well), or HPS (all through veg as well), and their plants aren't missing anything. They all look virtually identical.

Sometimes, we all worry too much about our equipment. Check out any new grower thread, and read about all of their shit that they bought. Every damn thread is like "These girls will be in #5 nursery pots, made of high-end nylon plastic, serial number 834792, here are photos of some empty pots for you to enjoy.. The watering can is also nylon, but it's a much stronger plastic and is green in color, serial number 389789.." Gimme a break. :) Also, it seems to help if you add "lol" to every single sentence that you write. EVERY. ONE. "lol"

Aspenou812

Veteran

Thanks everybody.

1- In a 3x3 space i would only grow one plant with a nice veg time and SCROG it

2- Only if you want to cook your dinner in that tent every night! Seriously go with a digital hid 600w MH and HPS you need both spectrums of light.

3- Co2 speeds the process up for growth and everything else including speeding you straight twords disaster, you need to be able to read your plants and head off deficiencies and other issues before you worry about CO2. many top growers still don't use co2. you have to run higher temps if using co2 to be really effective and that can lead to a host of other deadly issues with your grow.

4- KISS = KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID is a theory on growing and my personal motto for growing

Aspenou812

Veteran
Ok so 600 watt MH for veg and 600 watt HPS for flowering. Gotcha. Could you send some photos of your tent if you dont mind sharing some of the ticks for air flow and intake/outtake.

Sticking with a Indica dominate hybrid with 600 Watts and noones to concerned about the co2 so ill leave that alone for now. What temp would you suggest for veg and what temp with flowering

You're temps don't vary much by the stage of growth, day and night time temps should differ by about 5 degrees in my opinion 75 to 80 is money you can push that up if using co2 by about 6 degrees on the high side

Aspenou812

Veteran
I agree with the 600w (or 400w) HPS/MH if you go for HID lights, but I would run 1 315 CMH (like a phillips agro) to save some cash on electric. The bulbs are also good for about 2 years, it's less heat than a 600w HID, and I guarantee it's less stretch. 1000w is just too much for a 3x3 tent. I don't think that it's possible to cool a 1000w in a 3x3 space.

If you needed to keep costs down, or already had a HID setup, I would just run a 600w HPS for everything. No need to swap out the bulbs. IMHO there is a questionable ROI on a MH bulb. One 600w "Blue" from hortilux is over $115, just for the bulb.

ICmag has shown me some amazing plants being grown with CMH, LED, or T-5 all through flower. I know people who only run either MH (all through flower as well), or HPS (all through veg as well), and their plants aren't missing anything. They all look virtually identical.

Sometimes, we all worry too much about our equipment. Check out any new grower thread, and read about all of their shit that they bought. Every damn thread is like "These girls will be in #5 nursery pots, made of high-end nylon plastic, serial number 834792, here are photos of some empty pots for you to enjoy.. The watering can is also nylon, but it's a much stronger plastic and is green in color, serial number 389789.." Gimme a break. :) Also, it seems to help if you add "lol" to every single sentence that you write. EVERY. ONE. "lol"

it is possible to grow on a budget for sure. your goals should determine what equipment you grow with. for sure you will never get to the top of the heap without good grow equipment that's dependable. Trust me on that one, also never try to grow more than your equipment can handle undersized equipment will be a sacrifice in your yield and quality! It's:thank you: really a personal decision, what works for one person may handicap someone else Oh yea i forgot lol..... lol....

Last edited:

Aspenou812

Veteran
Definitely indica maybe like a cheese something feminized.
How do I know what lights emit blue and red lumens?

Thanks for all the tips

Lumens are a measure of visible light not a color. Lumens have absolutely no application in the grow room. PAR is what you need to be looking at in terms of light measure for plant growth. the higher the par the higher the growth rate period...

Lethal

I want to seccond previous posts regarding the lightning. 3x3 is way too small for 1000w. I went with 600w and ended up on 400w in current setup as I had problems with heat (that is due to my enviromental conditions). 600w will do probably best while slightly overdoing it as 600w is considered as perfect match for 4x4 setups.

Also as Aspenou mentioned keep it simple you can always add more sofistication to your grow after few runs. Better to focus on the basics at start.

Good luck with your grow!

Lethal

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
"These girls will be in #5 nursery pots, made of high-end nylon plastic, serial number 834792, here are photos of some empty pots for you to enjoy.. The watering can is also nylon, but it's a much stronger plastic and is green in color, serial number 389789.."

"I steered away from the 389722 because a friend clubbed his father to death with a watering can that had a serial number close to that and I didn't want to bring in any neggy vibes. But ya know his yields were alright so you never know."

Do you live in an area with dispensaries/clone stores? Not that I advocate much for store bought genetics (bugs/mold etc) but if you have your eye on certain strains or seeds, we might be able to help narrow down which would be good starters for yields/maintenance.

SMS65

If you go MH, dimmable is the way to go. If you can't find one locally or in Amazon, check out aquarium places like bulk reef supply. MH are king for salt water tanks, so they sell a lot of stuff.