What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting?

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've heard urban legend that you can poke a branch of a veging plant thru the light barrier and flower JUST that branch?

Have done it twice to prove a point , no effect moved beyond the stem in flower , behaves as two seperate plants.

When half a plants in full flower and the other half is in serious reveg am not quite sure what to feed it , and resort to foliar on the veg side.

Same if half is male , hormones controlling flowering dont seem to move beyond the branch in 12/12 or 24/0 , seeded of not.

As its very easy to do this in my stacked room with the flower above the veg , will run another this way and show some pics.

Its interesting to see what you can do with canna , but most of it is not very practical unless only very low numbers can be kept , and grafts can fail later for no apparent reason which is why i explored multiple mothers and eventually went back to standard.

If you search tomato root grafting , there is fresh interest and plastic products to simplify the process.

Ncali

Veteran
That in mind please DO NOT take my observations as the end all WORD of grafting Cannabis,.......

Maybe not, but your first hand observations can be insightful!

Thanks to you and foomar for some anecdotal evidence to point me in the right direction! Going to look further into hormone stimulation in plants :)

Don't need to be a botanist to notice things happening in your plants. All botanists started out just like us anyways: just some people growing plants, logging information, learning new things at every step.
:tiphat:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Am reasonably sure by experiment that hormones dont spread beyond an individual branch , but not the result if , for instance , the bottom of a branch was in 12/12 and the top in 24/0 or vice versa.

The effect could be localised , or spread forward with the growing tip , a fiddly experiment involving foil and moveing a plant regular would prove it in ten days.

These are the clips/splints/supports now popular in horticulture , they cost almost nothing in quantity , are so simple they can be easily replicated from odd stuff lying around like fridge seals , split rubber tube and clothes pegs , but worth buying if doing thousands of toms a day.

picture.php

Several watchable youtube vids for tom grafting , but its hardly rocket science.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Am reasonably sure by experiment that hormones dont spread beyond an individual branch , but not the result if , for instance , the bottom of a branch was in 12/12 and the top in 24/0 or vice versa.

The effect could be localised , or spread forward with the growing tip , a fiddly experiment involving foil and moveing a plant regular would prove it in ten days.

If I didn't have all my ventilation and circulation equipment where it is in my rooms it would be fairly easy for me to do that experiment going in both directions,.... but re-setting everything to accommodate having a plant there rather than a fan. Well that would be a good bit of a pain in the ass.

Maybe on a small plant not so hard, but with such a tight restriction on my plant count such experiments are hard for me to justify.

Greenheart

Veteran
Honestly, I don't think that one could induce earlier flowering in a long running strain by grafting it to a short runner,..... not sure why, just going with my gut on this one.
I agree.
On that same line of thought, I've heard urban legend that you can poke a branch of a veging plant thru the light barrier and flower JUST that branch?
"The urban legend experiment" Now that sounds like a fun thread.

** Thank-you foomar for the tip on grafts failing so keep multiple mothers.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The sale of grafted toms to the public direct from garden centres really took off this season , some like these done for desease resistance primarily , and others combineing two different strains on one resistant rootstock.

Its actually easier with canna than toms , these are expensive and very profitable to the trade compared to standard plants.

Grafted Tomato Taster Kit consists of 3 plants , 1 each of:

-Tomato Sweet Million - Deliciously sweet cherry tomato

-Tomato Shirley - Customer favourite standard-size tomato

-Tomato San Marzano - The classic Italian plum tomato, used all over the world for making sauces, especially Passata due to it’s dry and meaty nature

Grafted Tomato Plants For Stronger Plants, Higher Yields and Greater Disease Resistance

Many of us have small gardens with growing space at a premium which may mean that we can't rotate crops as we would like.

Grafting combines a hardy base plant highly resistant to soilborne disease, grafted onto a variety with superior flavoured fruit.

Grafted stems are held together with a clip until the cell structures knit together producing a strong disease resistant plant. Enabling you to plant in the same spot year after year.

Grafted Tomatoes have been grown commercially
for many years because they:
■ Are much more vigorous, producing larger, stronger plants
■ Are less susceptible to nutritional disorders
■ Have greater resistance to pests and diseases
■ Produce fruit earlier (by 2-3 weeks)
■ Give higher yields of top quality fruit over a longer period compared with normal plants
■ Are particularly recommended for greenhouse growing, especially if planted directly into the soil.

You will be amazed as the plants reach their full potential and produce amazingly healthy plants and bumper crops of delicious tomatoes.
Supplied as well-rooted young plants in 7cm pot

Dilbert Do

It would be an interesting experiment to graft autoflowering root stock onto a photoperiod top and vice versa. It would have to be done ASAP after popping the auto seed since there is a predetermined veg period.

Thoughts on whether a 60-day auto (easy ryder?) would be long lived enough to graft with?

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Foomar; I'll see what I can find at the local greenhouses for a grafted tomato, but I doubt I'll be able to purchase something for my personal garden. Think I'll see what happens with the volunteers again, and pop some more heirloom seeds on that end.

Dilbert; Just like the long/short running photoperiod posts earlier,..... I'm not convinced it'd make a difference..... Again tho, mostly going with my gut here.

I had issues grafting some strains to others,... seemed that Indica dom was easier as a host than Sativa...... I've never played with Rudi's so anything with them is simply speculation on my part.

Also with the massive increase in laziness I built into my grow when I started easing back to it after a short unforeseen break (Blumat auto watering), simple grafts to keep a mother are all I'm planning for the foreseeable future.

If you've got some Auto seeds, and access to cuts from Photoperiod plants, I'm fairly sure there's more than enough information in this thread to set you well on your path to getting some grafts going!!! :tiphat:

Please post your results here, or if nothing else hit this thread up with a link to your own experiments! ;)

Biosynthesis

Veteran
well my first literary experience with cannabis for being grafted. Thanks for the link, read most of it and am impressed with your work. keep playin' internet botanist, you play the part well.....cheers!

toppin

Veteran
Very interested in making a 3 or 4 strain mother plant after reading this thread to free up a bit of space.

Anybody ever tried to graft one stem to another on the same plant as i think this would make good practice until i get the hang of grafting?

now that I think about it I have done some grafting myself. although I wouldn't degrade the term "graft" with what I did. I was growing a lemon kush headband plant in my last grow and I accidentally broke off a massive branch by accident while doing lst in my tent. the branch snapped almost perfectly right in the middle. I sliced off the frayed/broken parts with a fresh razor and duct taped it back together and it survived!!! I don't know if this counts though cause it was a branch from the identical genetic and it was more or less just bandaged back together. however it was completely separated! either way it did work and I was able to save the yield on that branch.