What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Starke's Story: An LED Tale

starke

Let's Try This Again

Let's Try This Again

Power was restored about six hours ago and I have been a busy bee since. First order of business was a real shower. :)

The half assed Hawaiian Snow harvest due to Hurricane Irma has been moved from drying in the tent to cardboard boxes. So far no mold. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm thinking seriously about just giving it to the kids and letting them deal with it.

Anyway, cleaned up the Hempy Buckets, washed a new batch of perlite and vermiculite and transplanted four Super Lemon Haze clones and one Skywalker OG Kush clone into the Hempys.

Plan is the same as last time:
Original Hempy Bucket and medium
Maxibloom KISS for nutes (Switched to Jacks Hydro/Calnit on 10/17/2017.)
URSA LED full spectrum for light
5x5x8 Tent

Will get some initial pics up tomorrow. For now it's a bowl with the misses and the first cool, good nights sleep in a week.

Peace,
starke

Last edited:

saitama

Power was restored about six hours ago and I have been a busy bee since. First order of business was a real shower. :)

The half assed Hawaiian Snow harvest due to Hurricane Irma has been moved from drying in the tent to cardboard boxes. So far no mold. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm thinking seriously about just giving it to the kids and letting them deal with it.

Anyway, cleaned up the Hempy Buckets, washed a new batch of perlite and vermiculite and transplanted four Super Lemon Haze clones and one Skywalker OG Kush clone into the Hempys.

Plan is the same as last time:
Original Hempy Bucket and medium
Maxibloom KISS for nutes
URSA LED full spectrum for light
5x5x8 Tent

Will get some initial pics up tomorrow. For now it's a bowl with the misses and the first cool, good nights sleep in a week.

Peace,
starke

Best of luck to you. Glad you're safe!

starke

Thanks saitama.

Just a quick pic of the beginning. The Super Lemon Haze are in the corners. The tall lanky lady in the middle is the Skywalker Kush. Real ugly and a pain to work with plant structure but the buds are worth it.. Hoping to veg and train for about 30 days, then flip to flower.

Peace,
starke

starke

Weekly Update

Weekly Update

The update this week is not so much about the ladies (they are doing well), it's more about the light.

About five days ago I noticed the temps in my tent were running three to four degrees cooler than normal with no changes on my part to any of the parameters that affect cooling.

This morning I took the ladies out for some supercropping and lower defoliation and I noticed that half of the COBs on the light appeared to be running at half power. The lenses on these COBs were noticeably cooler to the touch than the COBs that appeared to be shining full strength. Given that the light runs off two Mean Well drivers, I'm betting on a failure of one of the drivers, but time will tell.

Anyway, took that URSA down and unboxed the second one I purchased back in March but had not used yet. It is now in the tent and the malfunctioning unit is packed up in its' box. Emailed URSA and am awaiting a reply on instructions for repair.

One note: I'm done with the tall, lanky, hard to train pheno of Skywalker Kush that was in the middle last week. I'm going to have to pop some more seeds and find a pheno with better structure. So this run will now be four Super Lemon Haze.

Last Week:

This Morning:

Peace,
starke

Last edited:

starke

URSA Update

URSA Update

Just received a phone call from the URSA folks in Cali. They are shipping a replacement unit immediately and providing shipping account info for return shipping of the defective unit. Really diggin' on the customer service. :tiphat:

saitama

Just received a phone call from the URSA folks in Cali. They are shipping a replacement unit immediately and providing shipping account info for return shipping of the defective unit. Really diggin' on the customer service. :tiphat:

The URSA guys ROCK. I can't say that enough.

Since I'm moving, I asked if they had any boxes for my lights. Sure enough, they hooked me up!

Sorry to hear about the meanwell, but glad you had an extra.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Subbed = ) Yeah URSA has definitely taken care of me as well as far as customer service goes. Rocky launch but I expected that.

starke

saitama/40amps: Have not looked back or second guessed myself since the purchase. Love me some URSA LED.

Finally got enough cell service back to check in. Still no power or internet. Temps running around 90 with heat index of 99. Humidity running around 85 percent. Chopped the ladies this morning and will try to dry them. With this heat and humidity I'll probably end up with mold and have to trash the lot. Did I remember to say: "FUCK HURRICANE IRMA", I can't remember?

Still have about 20 new clones that I hope will root. Also have four Super Lemon Haze clones at about ten inches tall for my next run but if the power is not back on soon they will begin to flower.

Anyway, all is good and shit could have definitely been way worse. Misses and I are for sure counting our blessings. I'd kill for a real shower though.

Will be back to document another grow when things get back to normal.

Peace,
starke

Dam weather sorry to hear it screwd your plans up... Hopefully you were atleast able to flush them a bit.

Freakish rain thunder and lighting storm rolled threw my area while some of my ladies were heavy in flower they took a beating had to prop tye and basicslly do everything i could afford to do to save them. Lucky for me next day was dry and warming.

Dont get frustrated my friend just keep on keeping on.. Happy gardening!

Stonehedge out!:tiphat:

starke

Thanks for the encouragement Stonehedge. I have accepted that even growing indoors, Mother Nature has to show us she is the boss every once and awhile. :smoker:

starke

Weekly Update

Weekly Update

Wish I had something exciting to report, but I don't. The ladies continue to do well, although I have noticed they seem to prefer a little more nitrogen than is available in the Maxibloom by itself. Accordingly I have begun supplementing some cheap CalNit. I noticed the same thing about this pheno of Super Lemon Haze when I grew it in soil.

Because of the need for increased N and also because after this grow I am hoping to put together some type of tent based PPK, I have ordered a bag of Jack's Hydro formula and a bag of their CalNit. I am almost out of my 2.2lb bag of Maxibloom so the switch should occur while the ladies are still in veg.

Have been pinching and bending tops almost daily to try and keep the canopy even. I'm planning on vegging until the ladies are about 30 inches tall from the floor (about the height of the top of the block the fan is sitting on), then flipping to flower. I'm guessing another two weeks of veg. Will probably be doing a light defol later in the week and will put up some additional pictures then.

Last Week:

Today:

Peace,
starke

Last edited:

starke

Weekly Update

Weekly Update

A day late and a dollar short...story of my life. Anyway, the ladies continue to veg away and I think I am within a week to ten days of flipping to flower. Will be mixing up my last 30 gallons of Maxibloom tomorrow which should get me through the rest of veg. The ladies are doing well at about 800ppm/.5 with the extra calnit thrown in. I never got around to doing a defol this past week so that is on this week's agenda for sure. Thanks for following along. Next update in a week.

Last week:

Today:

Peace,
starke

Awesome update starke , what size bag of jack hydro are you getting , the 4 pounds is enough to get you hooked with the results , I haven't seen any deficiencies as long as I keep up with the ph in my DWC , I'm sure hempy will be much easier , good luck and glad to hear u did well after the hurricane . FSG

starke

caljim: Thanks.

FakeSun: I splurged and bought the 25lb bag of each. Probably be enough for every grow I'll ever do - but I figure I can experiment on some hydro veggies outdoors too.

Goats

FakeSun: I splurged and bought the 25lb bag of each. Probably be enough for every grow I'll ever do - but I figure I can experiment on some hydro veggies outdoors too.

i was looking at re-upping my jacks as well last night and couldn't find a way to purchase from the site anymore. is it still possible to order directly from jrpeters?

edit - the cal nit has a 'shop now' button below it that the jacks doesn't. not sure what's up.

Last edited:

starke

Goats:
I don't know about straight from Peters, I bought mine through Amazon. Came from a third party hydro supply but I don't remember the name.

Goats

I contacted them via the form in the website. Found some vendors on ebay and amazon, but I'm in Canada and they all want like $100 shipping which is insane. Jrpeters' shipping cost was like $30 before for both the 5-12-26 and the calnit together.
Hoping it's just a website issue and i can still order. If the jacks falls through I may be forced to try the canna line or hydro research. Both sound good but are significantly more expensive than jacks.

:dance013:

You won't regret it , best salts so far , beside maxi which needs tweaking for hungry phenos , thanks for the updates , FSG.