What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

trump proposes 95% cut to office of national drug control policy

VIA thehill .com:

The White House is proposing to cut nearly the entire budget for the Office of National Drug Control Policy, slashing its funding by about 95 percent, according to a lobbyist familiar with the plan.

Created in 1988, ONDCP — informally known as the drug czar's office — is charged with advising the president on drug issues, coordinating efforts to reduce drug usage and creating an annual National Drug Control Strategy. Politico first reported the proposed cuts.

Acting Director Rich Baum called the proposed cuts "frankly heartbreaking" in an internal staff email, Politico reported.

The White House called the budget process a “complex one with many moving parts.”

“It would be premature for us to comment — or anyone to report — on any aspect of this ever-changing, internal discussion before the publication of the document,” the White House said in a statement. “The President and his cabinet are working collaboratively to create a leaner, more efficient government that does more with less of tax payers’ hard-earned dollars.”

The deadline to submit comments on the proposed cuts is Tuesday, according to a lobbyist.
The proposed cuts come as the country faces an opioid addiction epidemic in both rural and urban areas. Since 1999, the rate of overdoses from opioids, such as heroin and prescription painkillers, has quadrupled, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

President Trump has said he’s committed to combatting opioid addiction. In late March, Trump signed an executive order creating a commission to combat the opioid epidemic helmed by Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J).

Advocates have rallied around ONDCP in recent months, with around 200 organizations working on addiction-related issues sending a letter in support of the office after The New York Times wrote a story about its possible elimination.

“At a time when drugs now kill more people than firearms or car crashes, it is more important than ever for ONDCP to remain a strong voice in the White House and a visible presence nationally,” the letter to Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney states.

Rep. Tom Marino (R-Pa.) withdrew his nomination to run the office earlier this week, citing a critical illness in his family.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Interestingly enough, when the truths about drugs become widely accepted... the same thing will happen to the DEA. I'll see it happen in my lifetime. :)

OldPhart

I'm actually waiting for a major federal policy flip. The feds can't tax something they don't allow. I bet it happens sooner than later, so they can get the tax dollars on weed, just like booze and cigarettes. I think it has reached the point that there is more money to be made from taxing it, than building prisons. They see the money the states are making, trust me, they want a piece. As the saying goes, show me the money.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
This is good news. The ONDCP is a waste of money.

You know the pigs that are squealing against this decision are those that have been living a comfortable life with their snouts in the trough.

According to wiki, the ONDCP has wasted over a BILLION dollars on anti marijuana campaigns. When an independent research company determined that the money was wasted on an ineffective ad campaign, they went on to spend another 220 million anyhow.

"In February 2005, a research company hired by the office and the National Institute on Drug Abuse reported that the government's ad campaign aimed at dissuading teens from using marijuana, a campaign that cost $1.4 billion between 1998 and 2006, did not work: "greater exposure to the campaign was associated with weaker anti-drug norms and increases in the perceptions that others use marijuana." The research company was paid $42.7 million for the five-year study. After the February 2005 report was received, the office continued the ad campaign, spending $220 million on the anti-marijuana ads in fiscal years 2005 and 2006".

Drain that swamp!

WelderDan

Veteran
Good news no doubt. Also, the spending bill to fund the Government for the next 6 months has an amendment that denies Federal funds being used to enforce Federal drug laws in states with MMJ laws.

We're getting there. Slowly but surely we're getting there.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
The feds can't tax something they don't allow. I bet it happens sooner than later, so they can get the tax dollars on weed, just like booze and cigarettes.

Great news for pot; in a way...

The good thing I see happening in the future is pot growers will no longer be busted for growing.
The bad news is that instead, they'll bust you for tax evasion and the IRS will come take your house, or put you in prison for tax evasion...

Gonna be almost as much of a mess...

Last edited:

oldchuck

Veteran
Trump's budget proposals have not been taken too seriously so far. I doubt Congress will go for it.

Jhhnn

Veteran

The bad thing I see happening in the future is, pot growers will no longer be busted for growing.
Instead, they'll bust you for tax evasion and the IRS will come take your house, or put you in prison for tax evasion...

If the feds legalize cannabis it'll be grown outdoors at industrial scale & OTC weed will be cheap enough that small indoor growers won't be able to compete at all. Growers will be like California wineries. Even the smallest are big business.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doubtful it will happen, even though it "sounds" like a good idea. DJT and cronies abound talk with forked tongue.

Sforza

Veteran

The bad thing I see happening in the future is, pot growers will no longer be busted for growing.
Instead, they'll bust you for tax evasion and the IRS will come take your house, or put you in prison for tax evasion...

They will still have to catch you first.

Sforza

Veteran
If the feds legalize cannabis it'll be grown outdoors at industrial scale & OTC weed will be cheap enough that small indoor growers won't be able to compete at all. Growers will be like California wineries. Even the smallest are big business.

Like home beer brewers, those of us who just grow for ourselves and close friends and don't sell, will have nothing to fear and will be able to control the growing environment and strain selection, so we can smoke the stuff we like.

Chris Christie is insanely anti cannabis. If Trump is cutting advisors and leaning on Christie, I don't know that I'd be too quick to celebrate.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Even though he is a major douchebag,
I wouldn't worry about chris chistie too much..

The guy is half a bucket of the Colonels chicken away from a massive coronary..

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Even though he is a major douchebag,
I wouldn't worry about chris chistie too much..

The guy is half a box of Krispy-Kremes away from a massive coronary..

well hell...i'll pitch in twenty bucks for a few boxes! lets see if we can't push him over the edge...:biggrin: