What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oregon Bill Would Prevent Employers from Firing or Not Hiring Someone for Off-the-Job

R

Robrites

Oregon Bill Would Prevent Employers from Firing or Not Hiring Someone for Off-the-Job Marijuana Use

Senate Bill 301
is similar to a proposal recently filed in Washington State, but would take things a step further by protecting recreational cannabis users, and not just those using it for medical purposes. The measure would override an Oregon Supreme Court decision that says employers have the right to fire and refuse to hire individuals for cannabis use, even if it’s for medical purposes. “The beauty of this particular (proposed) statute is that it really builds on a little-used statute brought about by the tobacco industry,” says Beth Creighton, a Portland attorney who specializes in representing employees. “It’s definitely an individual rights issue.. The voters in the state of Oregon have decided that marijuana is legal, so you shouldn’t be fired for something that’s legal.”

The bill would prohibit employers from requiring that employees or potential employees “refrain from using a substance that is lawful to use under the laws of this state during nonworking hours.”
The measure allows drug testing only for “bona fide occupational qualification” or to prevent on-the-job impairment.
The full text of Senate Bill 301 can be found by clicking here.

http://thejointblog.com/oregon-bill...ing-not-hiring-someone-off-job-marijuana-use/

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The bill would prohibit employers from requiring that employees or potential employees “refrain from using a substance that is lawful to use under the laws of this state during nonworking hours.”

That's how all statutes should be. Great article, Robrites!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"you must spread reputation around blahblahblah etc etc etc." stupid computer! good post RobRites! that is how it should be EVERYWHERE, thanks for posting. big shout out to Oregon for leading the way!:woohoo:

Bongstar420

That is fabulous news. You have made my day!

I hope what ever drug testing they do capitulate to is for THC and not THC-COOH like current UA's

Oregon Bill Would Prevent Employers from Firing or Not Hiring Someone for Off-the-Job Marijuana Use

Senate Bill 301
is similar to a proposal recently filed in Washington State, but would take things a step further by protecting recreational cannabis users, and not just those using it for medical purposes. The measure would override an Oregon Supreme Court decision that says employers have the right to fire and refuse to hire individuals for cannabis use, even if it’s for medical purposes. “The beauty of this particular (proposed) statute is that it really builds on a little-used statute brought about by the tobacco industry,” says Beth Creighton, a Portland attorney who specializes in representing employees. “It’s definitely an individual rights issue.. The voters in the state of Oregon have decided that marijuana is legal, so you shouldn’t be fired for something that’s legal.”

The measure allows drug testing only for “bona fide occupational qualification” or to prevent on-the-job impairment.
The full text of Senate Bill 301 can be found by clicking here.

http://thejointblog.com/oregon-bill...ing-not-hiring-someone-off-job-marijuana-use/

We need more people like you unregistered and everyone else who has made similar sentiments. I hope the winds break for you and everyone possible in your lands as well.

thumbup.gif
, awesome news.....nowhere near Oregon myself but glad for those people

armedoldhippy

Veteran
That is fabulous news. You have made my day!

I hope what ever drug testing they do capitulate to is for THC and not THC-COOH like current UA's
We need more people like you unregistered and everyone else who has made similar sentiments. I hope the winds break for you and everyone possible in your lands as well.

yup, if you are going to test for safety purposes, test for active THC & stop trying to fire people for what they did over last weekend when they were not on the damn clock...

Nitengale

That great news. I wonder how that will effect the medical professionals such as nurses,doctors etc.
The thing that kills me is that they do do Jack to anyone who get sloppy drink on their own time but want to dictate the user of a natural substance. What I want to see is the opiate industry crash and burn. Look know many people lose their lives with alcohol and opiate use. You don't see that with weed. Just saying!

R

Robrites

That great news. I wonder how that will effect the medical professionals such as nurses,doctors etc.
The thing that kills me is that they do do Jack to anyone who get sloppy drink on their own time but want to dictate the user of a natural substance. What I want to see is the opiate industry crash and burn. Look know many people lose their lives with alcohol and opiate use. You don't see that with weed. Just saying!
WoW.

Latest posts

Latest posts