What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow in 10 years.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sometimes I get a little yellowish in the new growth if it has rapidly been produced like in early flowering when they shoot up. All in all she looks good.

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
right on, was hoping it was something like that. I remember my dad saying something about that back in the day when I started to grow. It probably is more of the new shoots, because the main cola I tied dow slowed down and has a nice healthy deep green to it.
She sure is a monster, I flowered her at 6 weeks when she was maybe 2 feet tall, and I bet if I hadnt tied her down she'd be at least 4 feet right now.
2 oz's seems pretty reasonable for this run right?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We'll have to see how she buds up but from what I can see if all goes well 2 is probably a good conservative estimate. Too bad she aint in a bigger pot but that girl should yield nice as fuck. 2 oz, I'd bet a hundred bucks she does way better and im broke. :)

I cant wait to see though I been thinkin about just slappin a 20 gallon pot in my5x5 and seein what happens!

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
That'd be sick man. I figured when I threw her in the 5 gal it might be a bit much, but i was very wrong. 20 gal in a 5x5, you could probably get at least a 6 - 8 oz if done right. would be a mega monster growin in there man!

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
I took a couple clones of this before i turne dher 2 weeks ago, and one of them finally rooted. First time I've ever been successful in cloning, was so excited to see that tap root coming out of the rapid rooter. Hopefully it will take well to the coco I put it into last night and I'll have this strain going for some time!

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
looks like you need to up the dose of nitrogen and you have a mag def coming on. you're at a critical stage, you need to keep up with the magnesium and nitrogen requirements over the next few weeks or your yields will suffer.

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
I have been giving her about 5ml per gal of the GH FloraNova Bloom (as well as 2 mL of liquid koolbloom and 1 mL of Floralicoous +) with every watering, and have just given her plain water twice so far since I started flowering her.
Was thinking about adding 5mL of cal/mag with every feeding, or at least every other feeding just in case.
Do you think I should maybe try and up the FloraNova Bloom (4-8-7) to maybe 7.5mL per gal along with the 2mL of koolbloom (0-10-10) and 1 mL of Floralicous+ (2-0.8-0.02)? Oh yeah, I suppose the cal/mag would help out slightly with the nitrogen as well (1-0-0), but not sure if that alone would add enough.
I guess I will try and add the cal/mag with every other feeding, and if that doesnt add improvement/hurt ill try moving it up to every feeding.
Kinda surprised Im showing Magnesium deficiency, considering everything I use has some magnesium in it in some way (except the FL +). I've heard that coco kinda requires more of it though, so hopefully the cal/,mag will solve my issues.
You think it would maybe be a better idea to just add some epsom salts the next time I water to help out with the Mg since I dont really believe I need all the Ca as well? I've heard you dont want too much Ca or that can lock out the Mg as well.
I plan on buying a ppm meter once I get paid in a few days, then I should be able to see exactly where I'm at and just how much more I need to add to the mix.

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
(I should add that by plain water, I actually give her 5mL per gal of Cal/Mag in distilled h20 to keep the ec up. I have been doing that once a week per the guidelines I was given in GH product catalog which says to give plain water, but I feel like I need to have the cal/mag in there at least.)

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
woo hoo, 50 posts!

woo hoo, 50 posts!

I just noticed I hit 50 posts, and can now upload significantly more pictures. So excited, now I can post a few more updates and not worry about running out of space!

Clone #1 tap root!!!

Day 14-15 of flower. What constitutes day one of flower? The first dark period started on a Sunday morning. Wouldn't the Saturday the night before be day one, or would day one be on Sunday night, after the first dark period?

She looks like shes getting her color back in those leaves now. I was in a rush to get to work the other day and just gave her some cal/mag water in the morning before leaving when I saw she was drooping a bit. Got home that night, fed, and today shes looking really nice.

Hard to see in the picture, but shes getting quite noticeably more covered in trichomes now. She's gonna be a stinker, I'm lovin it so much!

I started to notice some weird white powdery build on the walls on one corner of the tent and got really worried about PM. I believe its just hard water stains from my less than ideal humidifier. (I noticed it was starting to build up just a little on one shoot, but nowhere else. it's all by the fan and on everything, living and not. 99.99% positive its from the hard tap water. It's all over my shower walls too.)
I got a new, really nice humidifier today to replace that. It even has a filter built into it for hard water. I tried putting distilled water into it and it wouldn't run right until i put in some tap water. That's a plus, was worried it was broke at first. (I should've been using distilled with the old crappy one, but now I know better.)

*couldn't post the pictures as separate links on this one.

Attachments

• IMAG0519.jpg
    IMAG0519.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0540.jpg
    IMAG0540.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0541.jpg
    IMAG0541.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0538.jpg
    IMAG0538.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

lil~greensprout

Living life large...
Veteran
Hey Elements, I just read through your tread... cool, cool so far !
I think your right on track with the nutrients, Flora nova is some
good stuff I run it myself and it's a great base nutrient, though
it does need some additives, floralishious plus, cal/mag are both
at the top of that list. Kool blooms good too when the timing is
appropriate. (though I prefer the powder, it's more consistent)

I believe the thing your over looking here is the whole Coco effect...
I noticed a few things in your posts, you said "it got a little dryer
than she should have." That can be a problem with coco, being the
inert medium that it is, it lacks the usual suspects you find in soil that
help control PH fluctuation, keeping it moist will eliminate most of that.
I also noticed your using distilled water, same kinda deal there aye...
distilled water lacks the Ions that also help with the PH stability,
so your kinda getting a double whammy on the PH thing and I think
that's what's causing your troubles, cause everything else seems spot on.

The only other thing I would recommend would be the addition of both
micros and macros in you feeding regiment, Hygrozyme has always
worked quite well for me and I bounce between White shark and Orca
for my macros depending on what's available at the time, both work well.
These will add some life to that Coco, this helps out in so many ways that
it would take an entire other post to discuss, so I'll just leave it at that.
If you choose to go that route don't forget to feed them Lil~buggers
I use G.H.s Pineapple rush to keep their populations up and so they don't
get too hungry and begin feeding off the plants themselves.

I hope this all makes sense and I don't come off like some frick'n
know it all... just trying to help out a fellow grower with a few things
I've picked up over the years from friends, family and here at ICmag.

Peace and keep`em green,
Sprout. :ying:

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
Thank you so much lil~greensprout, a lot of good info there. What water would you recomend I use? I only use distilled because my tap water is pretty nasty. I thought that distilled water would be better somehow because I figured I could control everything that goes into it. I never giver her distilled water by itself, I always have at least 5mL per gal of cal/mag in it. (Been thinking about getting a small R/O system if its affordable)
I was just pondering whether or not to give her a gal right now instead of waiting another day to give her two. The coco feels so perfect right now I dont want to over water it(the plant started in soil and has a ball of it in the center that kinda messes with how it holds water. holds more than it should in places and can over water eaiser than if it were all coco). Last time I tried to give her a gallon it felt like most of it went in but she looked over watered the next day.
Is it okay to mix my nutrients tonight, then let them sit until tomorow morning and water her when the time is perfect? She seems to drink up all the water and need feeding right before the lights go off. If I leave her through the night shes okay, but noticably droopy when I the lights come back on and I get to watering her. It's okay to feed her right before the lights go off too, right? Lately I've been giving her enough cal/mag only water in the morning to keep her good until the night when I get home and the lights come on and I can feed her. Think that may be slighly flushing her out, but I'm mainly doing it to save time in the morning. If its ok to mix these nutrients and store them for 12 hours before use I think I will definently do that. SOrry if I said things twice, pretty stoned right now. :smoke:

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
That makes sense, should work out perfect that way. Just worried about letting the nutrient water mix sit over night. I guess if I shake it well in the morning it should be good to go right? It's not organic so I think it should be fine. Guess I'll just test the pH again in the morning to make sure. Only one way to find out, so I'm givin it a shot right now!

lil~greensprout

Living life large...
Veteran
Maybe split your watering do half and half twice a day?

:yeahthats

12 hours in a cool dark place... yes, other than that and I'd say no.
I should have mentioned that coco seems to work best for me when
I let it wick up the water (bottom feeding them) and then just kinda
making sure that the top stays moist by watering up there too, this
helps keep from washing out all the goodies that we payed good money
for and the plants need if their truly going to thrive...

Water, I use tap but I live in an area with awesome water so I'm lucky,
R.O. water is also unstable as far as P.H. goes and it's expensive and
wastes a shitload to boot, not sure what to tell ya there... maybe get a
55 gallon drum, find a good clean source and fill it up and use that ?

Check out Bobbleheads thread... Organic bedroom of high brix, it goes
into the details about the micro/macro thing, plus there's lots of other good
shit too that can be useful in there, totally worth reading if you have the time.

I'm pretty toasty too ! :smoker:

Peace :ying:

Last edited:

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
right on man, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look into that bottom feeding, not really heard of that before but makes sense. the bottom always dries out faster than the top which I've not really encountered before. I put bout 4/5th of the gall of feed in last night and she was looking great this morning.

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
Right on man, that's really cool. Never would've thought of something like that on my own, love this place!

My second cutting took root today, I'm pretty excited about that. 2 for 2 now! She's pretty yellow, but I put her into some coco tonight and gave her: 5 mL cal/mag, 1mL FloraNova Grow (7-4-10), and 2.5 mL RapidStart (per gal.). As I read this I notice that I should've also used 1 mL of Floralicious +, but being stoned and preparing the mixture, I forgot to look at my sheet and forgot to add that. Not a big deal for right now I believe. Hopefully she takes into the coco well and doesnt get to shocked as I transition her out of the dome in the next 2 days and just keep her in the closet with a humidifier. My first clone is doing well (I think). Hasn't gotten worse, and I could swear the top growth shoot opened up a little bit wider this morning.

Plant is huge, but I feel like the stretch is slowing down and the bud building is getting into gear really quick now. I accidently knocked over the crutch I have keeping the tent propped open wider inside to fit her girth, and kncked over my 2nd main cola. She seems to be ok and perking up. Hopefully it's just gonna make her stronger. (Can kind of see it in the middle. not too bad)

Hopefully this picture comes out a little better, but the trichomes are starting to look quite nice now. I feel like once I get this little Mg issue control I'll have some very nice and frosty buds to smoke in a couple months!

Attachments

• IMAG0551.jpg
    IMAG0551.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0548-1.jpg
    IMAG0548-1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0554.jpg
    IMAG0554.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 12

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
Man, I'm SO EXCITED!!! :woohoo:

My third cutting took root this morning. This is the third time I've gone to the dome mostly expecting to see nothing and feeling slightly disappointed. As I halfheartedly pull out the rapid rooter I start to put on the expected frown, when suddenly I see this beautiful little tap root shooting out of the side!

This is from the second batch of cuttings I took about a week after the first, and it rooted in 8 days vs 15 with the other ones! I attribute this I guess to Clonex. I used a different brand suggested to my by my hydro shop, and it worked, but the clonex did it twice as fast. It also may have been an issue of the quality of the environment of the dome.
When I initially got the dome I did not buy and insert for it, I just had the drain tray and the dome, and I placed the 2 cuttings inside of two cut down plastic red cups. I barely had any water in the drain and was just misting the dome a couple times a day.
The day I took my second batch of cuttings (a week after the first), I had bought a plug insert for my dome and after putting it in noticed that it sat about 1/2'' above the drain. Seeing that I figured it would be perfect to throw in some water below to keep the bottoms of the rooters just moist enough to encourage the roots to search for the water. Doing so made my rapid rooters stay at just about the perfect moisture level, kept the humidity just right, and possibly was the reason for the second set rooting so much faster.

Hell, for all I know the first batch probably didn't even start to root until I fixed my dome setup, and what the hydro shop recommended was just as good if not better than clonex. Guess we'll have to wait until I get these girls up and running to find out!

And here's my 3 rooted clones right now, #1, #2, and #3. I know #2 looks pretty dismal, but she actually had the strongest roots with 2 tap roots coming out of the side. Hopefully she'll bounce right back in a week or two and I'll have 3 Bruce Banner Clones to play with!
#1 is about 2 days in coco now, and I'm keeping her outside the dome for the entire day to see how she does. Hopefully she's weened off it by now. I do have a humidifier going just in case however.
I put #2 into the square container because I bought some at the hydro shop thinking they'd be good for seeds. Thinking now it may have been better to have put her into a plastic cup though. I like how the tiny rim can support the leaves and keep them from touching the coco.
I also have two more in the dome right now, one I am almost certain will take root, and the other one will likely too since it looks better than #3 does!

I can't seem to find any clear plastic cups in my area for some reason. Would love to have put them in those so I could monitor the roots, but I have a good feeling about these gals. This Bruce Banner is tough, just like the name implies. It has stuck it out through all of my retarded mistakes, and gets even stronger with every one. I will be growing this for as long as I possibly can!

Attachments

• IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG0567.jpg
    IMAG0567.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0566.jpg
    IMAG0566.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0565.jpg
    IMAG0565.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 10

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
So, the Magnesium issue is definitely porgressing, I was supposed to get the epsom salt today along with a few other things, but checks came in late, couldnt cash at the bank, and went to walmart and they were un-able to cash my pay roll check to protect my security. ???....

Anyway, going to get some epsom salt tomorrow, or possibly something else they may have at the hydro shop that just has Mg and not so much Ca. The Cal/Mag isnt really helping, and I saw my tips getting a bit burnt, so I dont want to up it anymore. Just need good old fashioned fast absorbing Mg.
Any suggestions at the grow shop or ideas? 95% sure its just Magnesium. I've seen maybe 2 tiny calcium spots on the entire plant since its started, and I know its not that.

pH is probably off a bit two. The last two days I've been giving her a gallon of feed but theres been no run off either time, so I probably have some stuff building up in there I shouldnt' Guess I'll water her tonight with 2 gallons and get a good run off to clear things up should that be happening as well.

Attachments

• IMAG0578.jpg
    IMAG0578.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0580.jpg
    IMAG0580.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Latest posts