What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what were bongs like way back when?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I guess this bong would be classified as an antique..
I built it in 1972 out of bamboo and sealing wax...

Attachments

• bong i built.jpg
    bong i built.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 44

WelderDan

Veteran
I have in storage a 5 ft tall, solid brass, hand painted Indian Hookah. It has 6 hoses. The bowl will hold 2 ounces easy. It came into my possession almost 30 years ago, and it was at least 20 years old when I got it.

It's very similar to this

Back in the day I dipped my fist in wax....several coats, then stuck a piece of bamboo, about 12"-14" long, 1" dia. into the hollow of the fist. I ended up with a bong that lasted years. It was indestructible.

Maverick69

Glass wouldn't last a month here.

Lost the one-hit bowl it came with over 25 years ago. The gold label on the bottom is still there.
G. Graphics
Milwaukee WI
Some phone number.

How many even older confiscated bongs.........4 - a lot of people toked from the 3 slick homemade ones first. The other was a foot or so likely a US Bongs, that or the G. Graphics came with a packet of tobacco or whatever it was I threw away.

This brand was popular and they were called geographics, then every bong where you pulled out the stem became a "geo".

This isn't the explain your name thread, but no one cares here either, so, in 11th grade instead of studying I scrawled a comic strip and short stories involving this very brand, while facing Joe C., who shared our assigned table in study hall. Partial detonation of a USAF atomic bomb, while about to hit the bong in a stall in the school bathroom, left it grafted into (sole survivor in a mile radius) G.O. Joe's left hand, indestructible, the loaded hit eternal. The bong water is changed often though.

"Joe", if you ever want to sell that 3 footer pictured, let me know! I've got a 1.5 and 2 footer, but not the 3 footer. Thanks! text me at 617-281-6185

Maverick69

picture.php

picture.php

My buddy and I drove around with this thing in his car for
years back in the 80's. Can't believe it survived.

Sweet! If you ever want to sell it, let me know. I have a 2 footer in same color from 1983 and would love to restore this and give it to my son as a college graduation present. Thanks! Maverick69 (text me at 617-281-6185)

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet! If you ever want to sell it, let me know. I have a 2 footer in same color from 1983 and would love to restore this and give it to my son as a college graduation present. Thanks! Maverick69 (text me at 617-281-6185)

thats outrageous :biggrin:...reminds me of the bongs we had as a young one ..U.S. Bongs if im not mistaken ...we had one called The Towering Inferno ... it took two to operate , one to light one to receive ..ha ha

St. Phatty

Friends in San Diego had a 40 year old clay pipe named "Mr. Mountain".

Mr. Mountain would be about 55 today.

I wonder what ancient Cannabis users used.

I read about the Scythians burning Cannabis in fires & enjoying the smoke.

But I'm sure they realized that was wasteful.

Do you think one of them carved a pipe ?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
In Australia in the 70s most of us used plastic orange juice container (brand was Orchy so become Orchy bongs), with a bit of garden hose, and a shotgun hole. I've seen many containers used and we sometimes even had to make out own cone (bowl) out of a tin can. The best bong I saw was a petrol station oil container, with a round glass base and a volcano shaped plastic screw on top. It was a perfect bong. and easy to clean.

Later I bought a 20 inch bamboo bong which I used for years. Also used various pipes. The only surviver is an old brass pipe that I recently resurrected following many nice glass pipes breaking. I aalso had a smokeless brass pipe but no idea what happened to that? These days I mostly vape and bring the pipe out for a different high now and then.