What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RUDERALIS varieties used in autoflower breeding?

Vandenberg

420giveaway
I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me about the various ruderalis varieties that are currently being used to produce automatic cannabis seeds/plants around the planet.
A breeder direct seed website named Stainly has a search function that lists these searchable varieties, not they they have them mind ya, but it could happen.;)

Berry Ryder
Canada Ruderalis
China Ruderalis
Green Rasta
Guangdong
Hungary Ruderalis
Indica Giganticus
La Fruta x Lowryder 2
Lowryder 2
Mexico Ruderalis
Mighty Mite Indica
Russia Ruderalis
Sour Lowryder 2
Sour 60

So what's the Genetic deal on these, please?

Please in this thread either
"lead, follow or get out of the way." :)
(Any Rock throwing posters are not welcome here.)
Facts preferred over speculation, let's make it a fact filled future sticky.
Thank you.

Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

clearheaded

ALOT are based on lowryder which is from joint dr in canada. it was a dwarf auto hemp plant found within a feild of hemp from my understanding.

dont know about russian or hungary auto but assume also from hemp lines gone feral. this may be incorrect however i always assume from auto hempy lines when produce the larger seeds found in lowryders.

mighty mite is an auto from Mts in hymalayan range if i am not mistaken.

I would say check phylos but think they left out any auto hemp var so they could say they made a noval var and sell there auto cbd hemp seeds..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
RUDERALIS is what was used to create auto flowering lines and found in places like Russia Hungary eastern Europe the interesting part about Ruderalis is most of them are high CBD and very low THC.

Ruderalis is what was used to create and develop industrial hemp in the early 20 century because of prohibition and why all industrial hemp is patented.

Now most Ruderalis variety's are low THC but few variety's are high in THC low in CBD and i dont think many used them in the auto flowering projects.

That is why some modern dutch strains can have high CBD % low THC plants show up in testing in short they fk the gean pool years ago.

Vandenberg

420giveaway
this spot is reserved for a future reference description summary.
As I discover relevent information, I will expand on this post.
I've got some googling to do.
It will be a work in progress.
Berry Ryder Automatic:
is an autoflowering cannabis strain and an original cross between the award-winning Blueberry and Auto #1.I

Auto #1 is an original autoflowering variety.
It's our most stable, tried and tested Ruderalis x Indica cross,
( Super Skunk x Siberian Ruderalis).

Canadian ruderalis
Is a pure landrace from guess where. ;)Vandenberg
Other locale specific pure landrace specimens will be an obviously self evident description from this point on.

Green Rasta (aka Guerillas Blend) is an automatic flowering ruderalis variety

See I'm catchin' on already ;)

Last edited:

Vandenberg

420giveaway
Breeding Genetics
From every seed the promise of new life.
Authored by "Kodiak" in 2009.
No reversing with Silver here but an informative read nonetheless.
Link @ bottom.

No plant is the same, they all have a different genetic makeup.
The only exception are clones.
Since they are in every way the same plant as the mother, their genetic makeup is also identical.
That is why you need to clone plants that prove to be superior or if they have qualities or traits that you like. This way you can preserve and grow the same crop over and over. Cannabis is not the easiest plant to clone but not the most difficult either. The chance of successfully cloning a plant depends on the strain, the methods used and so on.

Genotype is the genetic makeup of an individual and phenotype is the physical expression of those genes.

When it comes to breeding we get genetic recombination of the genes, 50% from the father and 50% from the mother. Since the genetic makeup of plants is so complex there really is no way to predict which of the original traits will be preserved in the offspring and how new ones will form. The only thing that can be said is that the offspring will show similar traits to the parental strain but this is heavily dependent on whether or not a particular trait is dominant or recessive.

Some traits are dormant or inactive and will only be activated if the alleles for that particular trait correspond in the genes of both parents. This means that the offspring will display some/none/all of the traits of the parents but new ones will also form depending on the genetic recombination.

The F1 or first generation of plants will be quite uniform in appearance but once you reach the F2-generation, you will get individuals with a wide range of traits inherited from the parents. In order to get uniform plants that resemble the parent, you need to isolate traits by backcrossing the offspring to one of the parental plants. This is effectively inbreeding which is naturally unfavorable as genetic anomalies may occur because the same genes perform the recombination and the gene pool is restricted. This method, referred to as “cubing”, is sometimes used to preserve a particular trait and will result in uniform or true breeding IBL (inbred) seed lines. Crossing the plant to a new one will however produce very healthy offspring because the gene pool is expanding and the genetic recombination gives rise to hybrid vigor. Plants will also become uniform over time through selective breeding. This is the case with Skunk#1 for example. Large populations are used to interbreed the individuals and because they resemble each other so much, the offspring is also quite similar to the parents.

In other cases, careful selection is required. I’ll take the example of how the Lowryder#2 strain was created to prove my point here.

The goal is to preserve the recessive auto-flowering trait:

a = recessive auto-flowering trait
A = dominant normal flowering

Lowryder was bred to Santa Maria/Planck in order to create LR#2. So;

Santa Maria x Lowryder = AA x aa = 100% Aa F1 --> The auto-flowering trait is masked by the gene for normal flowering but all the offspring carry the recessive trait.

(Santa Maria x Lowryder) x Lowryder = Aa F1 x aa = 50% Aa F2 + 50% aa F2 --> 50% auto-flowering in the second generation. This is where the selection for AF plants begins. We pick one of the AF F2's and cross it once more to a true breeding Lowryder,

[(Santa Maria x Lowryder) x Lowryder] x Lowryder = aa F2 x aa = 100% aa F3 = Lowryder#2

As you can see, if we take one of the auto-flowering F2-individuals and cross it to a true breeding Lowryder we get the same result as when we cross two true breeding Lowryders to each other (LR x LR), 100% auto-flowering individuals.

So, if you want to make a new auto-flowering Lowryder hybrid, you have to backcross it twice to true breeding Lowryders in order to preserve the auto-flowering trait in the new hybrid. Remember though that this F3-offspring only carries 12,5% of the genes from the non-auto-flowering parent. In order to increase this percentage you have to start the process all over again.

Some traits might be controlled by several genes which means that the odds are even smaller that this particular trait will be expressed, especially if it is recessive.

The same goes for every trait of the plant, everything from potency to color so my recommendation is to only use the strongest plants you can find for breeding purposes.

If you are planning on making your own hybrids, it's not a bad idea to read up a bit on Mendelian Genetics

The actual act of fertilization is no big mystery. I will not go into it in great detail here but one male carries enough pollen to pollinate a whole bunch of females. Once mature, the pollen sacks spring open, dispersing the pollen. It looks like fine yellow powder. The pollen can be collected, dehydrated and stored for up to six months in the freezer, after which it is usually no longer viable. Seeds on the other hand can be stored for decades as long as they remain in a cool, dark and dry environment. Seeds as old as 30 years have reportedly germinated.

The best way go is to allow one male to pollinate all the females chosen for the breeding project. If you have several males of different strains, you will have no idea which male pollinated which female. You can have several males of the same strain pollinating the females, but I usually chose the strongest male for the job. There are two schools of reasoning here. On one hand you could say that the strongest male will always be the best candidate but on the other hand you might also reason that using several males will in fact increase the gene pool and possibly give rise to a wider array of traits in the offspring. This might be beneficial if you need to find good outdoor plants, some will adapt better than others to harsh conditions.

What we really want is to preserve the traits of the mother plant, but we also need the father in order to make seeds. The father contributes to an assortment of traits in the female offspring, including physical appearance, flower formation and structure as well as scent and taste. You need to decide what to look for when choosing the parents, what traits you consider desirable. You should also look for males that form tightly packed clusters of male flowers as this directly affects the structure of the bud in female offspring.

The criteria for selection naturally varies with the purpose of the plant. When you are breeding outdoor strains you might look for different things than when you breeding indoor strains. It is not a bad idea to make a list of the traits that you looking for, as this will help you decide which males and females to keep. Smoking both parents is also essential since you need to get an idea of their potency. Some males and females carry more THC than others and smoking them is the only way to find out what you have.

In order for the pollen to be spread around you can have a fan blowing over the plants or you could just blow on the male plant now and then, this is enough for the pollen to reach the females if they are in close proximity. Another good way to pollinate the female is to use a brush. Gather the pollen onto the brush and then transfer it to the females. Once the females have been pollinated, it takes about 6 weeks for the seeds to be ready. You will know when they are ready because the calyx opens up and the seed falls to the ground. Once you see that a few seeds are ready you can harvest the whole plant shortly after. It’s a lot easier to separate the seeds from the bud if you allow them to completely dry up first.

One way of telling if the seeds are ready is to look at the color and texture of the seeds. If they have a nice dark brown color with stripes on them, they are ready. Not all seeds are striped however but most are. Seeds can range in size from very small to quite large. Seed size is both genetically determined but also by the degree of pollination. A slightly pollinated female will generally produce a smaller amount of large seeds while a heavy pollinated one will produce lots of smaller seeds. The rule of quality vs. quantity applies here.

You will get hundreds if not thousands of seeds from one female plant.

Adapted from this thread:
A Cannabis Growing Guide - All that you need to know to get started
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112662

Last edited:
M

member 505892

Yes, as clearheaded said, a lot of the autoflower seeds available today were created using Lowryder, many, many generations ago.

I have made a lot of autoflowers for myself that have no resemblance to Lowryder at all, but most of the autoflower strains i used to create my own hybrids have Lowryder genetics in them, albeit very distant, even before i stuck my fingers in.

M

member 505892

As far as i can tell, Lowryder genetics are- Williams Wonder x Northern Lights #2 x Mexico

M

member 505892

The zero-low THC ruderalis traits have been bred out of any decent autoflowers by now, and only the autoflowering traits remain.

growingcrazy

Here are a couple Mighty Mite autos. Planted on May 20 and harvested August 20.

picture.php

picture.php

This one was cut 1st of September
picture.php

They all have a nice pine flavor and hashy after taste, some have more of an incsense/old spice type flavor added also. Potency is quite good.

HillBillyAlien

CannaZen

You would get bigger autos breeding with these then to use lowryder for breeding, yeah there is big plant out of lowryder hybrids but using a pure ruderalis and working it will end up with a more massive plant in the end goal.

define big they're large plants rare yes but sparser bud production than to plant more lowryder i think. potency? were pure ruderalis used theres no telling, would need to select extreme higher content non cbd cultivars and discard the rest (i tend to save seeds) some phenos might be bunk if that's not your bag.

small plants can grow big buds and high resinous cultivars for their form factor their small size has tremendous advantages in pheno hunting.

low calyx to leaf ratios from the wild Ruderalis, they are wild plants. for something original were it the way to go auto they may have a grow cycle of a growing season of a full year. picture a decade to get something like 20% thc, plants that might mainly flower during the least sunniest months outdoors depending on climate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts