What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shade cloth

I’m looking for a good shade cloth to help keep the heat down in these 95 degree days. Does anyone here use shade cloth to control temperature? If so, what percentage do you use?

kamyo

Veteran
I've used one outdoors. Originally covered my hoop house in the tropics with 6mm plastic sheeting but that thing was a sauna. Switched and had decent results with a green 70-ish percent (light blocked) shade cloth. The more shade, the less light, which obviously isn't ideal. But it's still the sun and the sun doesn't fuck around when it comes to growing plants. You'll get results, even though they aren't as big as they could be.

But depending on where you are, it might not bring the temperature down that much. No experience with temps quite that high.

h.h.

Veteran
The lightest you can get.
Window screen or carpenters cloth or both works. Carpenter cloth better than you would think.
Most shade cloth is too heavy.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
picture.php
picture.php

CrushnYuba

I have 22% white... I also have 70% black. Depends what ur going for. 22 really isn't much at all. 70 is usually over kill for anything but starts in mid cali summer. W have crazy sun. Probably wouldn't use it anywhere else.

Usually 40% is what I'm going for