What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's bin growing! 28W LED Organic.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
first things first - i posted about the HGL 'copy' lights in the led retailers thread if anyone is interested https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5004620#post5004620

Maddhatter - welcome!

ellinho - i wont clone in the bin - i only use like an 9w cfl for cloning!
the bin is for a bit of extra capacity when i need it - flowering males. maybe flowering out small plants for selection/breeding etc etc.

sgapetti, g0v - thanks guys!

Dr 4 four - as you can see in the first post ive covered the inside of the bin with embossed mylar..

GP - thanks for checking in :) yeah ive been making seeds for a while but this should make it a bit easier for me.

wildgrow - the carbon filter has about an inch or two of carbon in it atm and it seems to be working ok - i can feel the air coming out at least! its a work in progress tbh but as i wont be flowering in here all the time im not too worried about it.

Robotrumble - thanks!

oneshot - fpr the last couple of days ive been running the bin without a fan because i was waiting for a power supply to arrive. the plant seemed reasonably happy even so. ive now got the fan and filter up and running and i'll post the temps as i have them.

StRa, blackosprey - thanks guys!

---

the plant went into flower today and was repotted. i have a pic which i will post later. i need to fit the screen tomorrow...

VG

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
great build vg! very clean

I'd call it "the bin" that has a nice ring to it.

I especially love the carbon filter. :good:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cheers heady :) yeah i was pretty pleased with the carbon filter idea and i'll be even more pleased if it works! :D
i was thinking of just using the whole base pot as a mini bed at some point...
these lights have a round footprint so it suits the bin quite well

here it is - ive used about 2 inches of carbon atm and the air seems to be pushing through ok. i also cut 6 1" holes at the top of the big pot as better passive intakes.
you can also see the chain in there that the light is hanging from. its threaded onto the carabina to stop it falling into the fan.
picture.php

and here is the plant after 3 days in the bin with just passive ventilation! as you can see it's romped away. little bit of heatstress on the upper leaves but not a bad start at all.
tomorrow i'll fit the screen
picture.php

VG

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Since you built the filter and youre not going to flower in it, it could make a nice lil drying bin if you take the light out. You know it grows so you may as well check out the filtering capabilities. cheers

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks wildgrow - thats a good idea! it i dry in a cupboard where the passive intake for all my other cabs is - and that means that when a few mites have found their way in they get the chance to migrate off the drying buds and onto my mother plants!

yeah i never thought of using it as a drying cab. cool

---

i should also mention that the 28 watts power draw is measured in the UK with 240 V coming from the wall so i guess the power draw may be slightly different in the states.

VG

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Nice growth spurt, I had a similar set for my blumat rez lol :D just had the bin flipped the right way round. Eager to see what comes from this bro.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey thanks shhh - im looking forward to it too!

---

right quick photo with screen fitted at 3 days flower. these round screens from the garden centre are the same as i used over 20 years ago when i first ever did modular scrog (although i didnt hear the term 'scrog' until more recently ;) )
the screen and pot is 1ft diameter - the bin itself is about 14" wide at it's widest point
picture.php

another shot from the side - you can see one of the 6, 1" diameter holes i cut in the bin base (pot) temps are running about 4-5 degrees above ambient at 70-80 F
picture.php

heres a cool one of the projection of the LED through one of those holes. these X-lenses really focus the light downwards

VG

2000pm

Nice screen - that's pretty funny you used those over 20 years ago! as your first "scrog" screen and here I am in 2012 using it for my first scrog thinking it was an awesome recent find.

Good idea on how to affix to the pot, I may switch to that after the current crop instead of mashing it into the perlite/roots. Gee have any more ideas for me to poach??? :D

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi 2000pm, yeah i imagine scrog has been 'invented' numerous times, and really i guess its just training a plant to a trellis which happens to be horizontal!
you may well find some useful ideas if you look through my old threads, usually i make square screens and have used various methods of attaching them to the pot - obviously a square screen is more space efficient in a square cab!. pushing sticks into the soil is never strong enough i found and usually the plant would lift the screen up as it grew.

i'll try and post up some more pics tomorrow, all going well so far!

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here we are at 10 days. forgot to mention that the soil mix for this grow is my regular mix but with 10% bark replacing half of the topsoil - the hope is that the bark will counteract some of the liming agents in the ferts amendments and stop the soil pH rising throughout the grow.
so its 30% perlite, 30% peat, 10% topsoil, 10% aged bark, 10% EWC, 10% mushroom compost.

so yeah 10 days in - all's well!
picture.php

picture.php

VG

Dysnomia

Hey VG!
Good stuff right here!
Very impressive growth from just 28W!
Is it too early to speculate about yield yet? Looks like that plant could pull around 30-40g.
Can't wait to see more!

Regards,
Dysnomia:tiphat:

Tatz

Did I just spot some pre-flowers ? :dance013: Looking mighty swell mate ! I def'ly tag this one ! Always liked the small grows, the Way of the Feinschmecker ! Keep up the spirit, you just gotta love LED's !!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dysnomia - yeah its a bit early to talk yield lol... but an ounce from a 28w light would be 1gpw and thats always a good thing to aim for.
certainly for the screen size i could pull a couple of ounces from it under a bigger light... but that may well be expecting too much from such a tiny light. we will see.

tatz, thanks for the kind words.. i should have an update for you tomorrow.

i was going to mention that it would be feesible to mount this light outside the bin by cutting a hole in the top and having just the lens over the hole (fixed somehow) and the fan/cooling part of it outside - this would save height and allow easier access to the LED.

VG

Tatz

We'll be waiting VG !!!
I think LED's are the way of the future ! We lower our carbon footprint, use less energy in light and venting, and when LED-prices start falling, more and more people will take the step... The lights are simply perfect for Micro Growers !!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey tatz i agree with you. atm the good units are petty pricy though... although we grow a crop that is expensive too so they can pay for themselves pretty quickly ;)

---

17 days in, stretch is pretty much over and the plant looks decent
picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey shhh, the ferts are largely in the soil mix - which is pretty much my standard one - so sometimes it's water only all the way through and other times they get a little biobizz bloom, perhaps some molasses a couple of times towards the end - depending on how they look and if i remember/can be arsed :D
the time i spend with my grows is pretty minimal - usually i am in a hurry and only get perhaps 'quality' time to spend with them once a week - so i like to have it as simple and easy as possible.
i'll post up the soil mix if anyone is interested - that in itself has quite a few ingredients but then you've only got to mix it once per grow ;)

VG

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey shhh, the ferts are largely in the soil mix - which is pretty much my standard one - so sometimes it's water only all the way through and other times they get a little biobizz bloom, perhaps some molasses a couple of times towards the end - depending on how they look and if i remember/can be arsed :D
the time i spend with my grows is pretty minimal - usually i am in a hurry and only get perhaps 'quality' time to spend with them once a week - so i like to have it as simple and easy as possible.
i'll post up the soil mix if anyone is interested - that in itself has quite a few ingredients but then you've only got to mix it once per grow ;)

VG

Post yer soil mix!