What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's quarters - 250HPS organic mod.scrog

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
kushism - thanks - ill let you know about the smoke, tbh i did have a little tester and wasnt that impressed but its was a couple weeks ago so i will try and not let that influence me.

EddieShoestring - thanks mate!

presilia - i have lots to learn still but so far so good. i did my homework, this forum is a great place for that, and i am a keen regular gardener so that helps too, especially knowing organics.

V.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey verdant, great job man 1g/watt is as good as it gets right?

hi bandonlooper1, i've seen 1g/watt mentioned a few times as a benchmark for an efficient grow, im not sure how much better than that people have done. i dont consider yield when i chooses my genetics but i guess grams per watt is a good way to know if you are getting the best from your setup.:joint:

look forward to the tuturial on the screens

not sure it will warrent the description 'tutorial' but ill give it a go in the next post

best

V.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
making the modular screens

making the modular screens

right, the screens are pretty simple to make. first you need to decide how many you want in your grow area and then work out how big each screen needs to be. so for mine i divided the length and the width of my cab by 2 to get the dimensions - make sure you take into account anything that will be in the way like batons at the corners of your cab. allow a quarter inch gap between them too.

then find some fairly thin wood to make the squares - i use 1 inch baton. then you need to work out the measurements - obviously take into account the thickness of the baton (so you need to take twice the thickness of the baton off one of the lengths due to the way it fits together.

if you have a mitre saw/chop box/picture framer this is good because you really need to cut the wood with a good right angle on the end and then putting it together is very easy (this goes for any kind of diy really)
then drill i pilot hole through one side of one baton and into the endgrain of the other (the one you subtracted twice the width from). screw the two together till you see the one get pulled tight to the other. countinue till you have the whole frame. the actual mesh will strengthen the screen if you use something made from wire but use anything with a 1.5" to 2.5" mesh. mine has rectangular mesh because i thought it would be easier to pull the growth back under the screen. staple it on and then use a wire cutter to cut it to size.

the legs i made from bamboo canes - find some that have a nice small hole in the end that a screw will bite into - if its too big then poke a match or two down the hole. cut them to the size you want (to give 6-10 inches between the rim of the pot and the screen) and fix them to the frame - using a pilot hole through the frame.
it is well worth putting the pots in situ and working out where the screens will sit in relation to the pots underneeth - stuff like a tray in the base of your cab may effect this and mean you have to fit the screen slightly off centre to the pot. it can be fiddly but is much easier than trying to adjust it when the plants are in your pot (believe me :joint:)

having said all that it's probably better to look at the picture - its fairly self explanitory.

picture.php

check your pots with the screen to see if the canes will fit in easily - if this is not possible you can fix them to the outside of the pot instread by drilling a hole into the cane through the pot lip and screing it from inside the pot into the cane.

hope that helps, please ask if its not clear. i just dont have time to do a pictorial explanation - maybe if i make some more.

V.

thanks verdant- this is such a good idea, i cant wait to do a couple of these

1 question i have : are the legs to the screen attatched anywhere inside the bucket or only at the top where the screen is?

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Nice one for the how-to bro. My plan is for a PVC-piped version, will obviously post up pictures in my thread when I finally get round to making them!

T

tricky

great read VG i have a mate who needs a percy grow and that looks just what he needs
cheers tricky :yeahthats

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
one Q - thanks for stopping by, glad you like!

bandonlooper1 - you can either push the canes into the soil inside the pot in which case they dont need fixing. having the pots handy when you make the screens will help you do this because obviously the spacing of the canes where they attach to the screen will effect how well they can push in to the soil - if they are too wide on the screen they kind of scissor together when you push them into the pots.

or you can fix the canes to the outside of the pots - i just used one screw per cane - out through the lip of the pot and into the cane - drill first but mind your hands!

McSnappler - yeah ive seen some good ones made out of pvc piping. you could even make a 'box' out of wood or piping with the screen on top and a base/tray on the bottom where you sit the pot - if that makes any sense?!?

Tricky - thanks, yeah thats all mine is for =, percy, im sure there will be times when the screen doesnt get full - especially with trying new strains most of the time, but its still a good way to get the all buds you do have growing into that sweet spot near the light (rather than one or two of your bud in the sweet spot and the rest a foot further down which doesnt work so well with small lights)

later

V.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sharksbreath harvest day

sharksbreath harvest day

75 days and the last of the four, the sharksbreath, is ready.
a few quick pics
note to self - pick of some dead leaves before taking photos :abduct:
picture.php

me jamaican shark got natty dreads :joint:
picture.php

picture.php

the trim is very sugar, even the leaf stems have resin glands all over them (the white influence i guess)

more later

V.

socbutter

Beautiful

Beautiful

Love your grow and am impress by your ingenuity!!

I plan to grow NL next. I have a couple questions about their growth.

YOU said earlier:

plants were in 11 litre pots and vegged for 1 week under 250hps before flowering

How tall did the NL get in veg? and How tall did it get after flowering?

My cab is small, so I was thinking of growing one or two.

Any info you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you.

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
congrats on the harvest :yes: pretty gals eh
lol at the note to urself
u say shes got a lemony tang on the nose ,does it follow thru on taste :joint:

great skillz :respect:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How tall did the NL get in veg? and How tall did it get after flowering?

My cab is small, so I was thinking of growing one or two.

Any info you could offer would be appreciated.

Thank you.

hi socbutter and thanks for chiecking my diary. The NL i grew was dr Atomics and didnt stretch that much, and the buds stay nice and triangular. if you want it to stay low then possibly top it a couple of times and veg it for a while. i got may plants last time just before they showed sex (from a friend) then i vegged them for a week after sexing them. but i am running another NL this time which i cloned about 8 weeks before flowering , so that has had a good long veg of about 6 weeks. check later and i may have a pic of the new line-up in th cab with the new NL.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
congrats on the harvest :yes: pretty gals eh
lol at the note to urself
u say shes got a lemony tang on the nose ,does it follow thru on taste :joint:

great skillz :respect:

hey m@rg, it was the 420 (burmesexFI) that smelled like lemon sherbet, i
but it didnt taste of much, and i am disappointed with the potency. Just a light stone really - may get better but i cant see it coming up to scratch tbh.
and if i say it lacks potency, then it really does - because i'm a bit of a lightweight really, i only smoke in the evening so that first joint usually hits the spot!

the sharksbreath also has a lemony twang but also smells dank and strong.
lets see how she smokes early doors.....

later

V.:joint:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent work VG, awesome buds m8, i love the look of the sharksbreath keep the good work flowing m8,,,,,,tagged

thanks mate, yeah that sharksbreath pheno is pretty special imo. it still has some great white shark influence but was the most 'jamaican' out of the pack. i plant to do some breeding work with this, although just making some seeds will be a good start!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here is the new lineup completed in the cab. the harvesting took place over about 2 weeks and it strikes ma that this will become a 'perpetual' mod scrog as each plant takes different times to harvest.
so the quarters -
back left is Arjans haze 3 which is filling the screen quite neicely
back right are the 2 Maple Leaf Indicas which have turned out to be very stretchy. i have cloned them both and will select the best one to keep for a while. the 2 makes are in the veg cab and still trying to flower so they are going to have to come out sharpish - ill probably put them outside for the moment. took a clone off the best male too although there wasnt much to choose between them
front left is Northern lights again. the screen has literally been plnked on there and i havent started to train it yet, havent even screwed the screen on properly as you can see, this plant was a clone from when i started flowering last time so has been vegged for about 6 weeks, probably 2 or 3 of them in the veg cab.
front right is the Blueberry - this is a hugely stretchy plant and i should have started flowering it a but smaller but we will see.

picture.php

the side view shows the new round pots with canes screwed to the outside

picture.php

they look pretty messy but thats the way it seem to be with scrog. they should start to sort themselves out and with a little further training should be ok. it may look like it's hard to do but plants have a natural tendancy to grow where they have the space to do so (i hope!)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking to the future i have sown 3 seeds of my most exotic genetics

picture.php

black forrest ( as i believe it is spelled ) is Vietnamese Black x Cherry Bomb.

the vietnam black is a jungle landrace and the cherry bomb (not reefermans) is a hawaiian sativa crossed with cherry ak47 i believe. my firend grew some of these out - albiet chemically - and it is the 'highest' sativa i have ever smoked, and the most sativa looking sativa too. flowering time 16 weeks plus!

i would only run one of these in the cab - if i can flower it successfully on a quarter then that will be great.

what i really want is a male so i can try a few crosses. I though that it would be better to try doing breeding with some little used genetics rather than stuff that has already been done - we will see.

no pre germination for me - it goes against all my horticultural principles!
just soak overnight and then into the soil. planted these a but deeper than usual, about 1 to 1.5 cm because i read that it helps them shed the hull

later

V.:abduct:

later

V

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
That sharksbreath harvest just looks beautiful :jump: tell us how she smokes after it drys up :canabis:

jamrockjay

Hey VG cant wait to see how the black forrest turns out.....16weeks + id love to av the confidence to try somethin like that....1 day....
Im with pontiac, cant wait to hear how she smokes...enjoy m8